Ugly landscapes

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi kyklop.
I'm not sure that qualifies as ugly, it is all natural and contains its own interest, I did not find it repulsive, it did not make me turn away, more to the point I found I was studying it, which I think at least for me means you didn't quite achieve your goal! Sorry!
Good idea for a way to re purpose our gear during this time.

Cheers Graham.

kyklop said:
The amount of sunny days has been scarce here last months. So have the pretty wonderful sunsets, too.
Now we have to use what we have to employ our expensive photo gear.
So here's the new challenge: How ugly can a landscape be?
Here is my first attempt.
5D II with 24mm 2.8 IS

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Valvebounce said:
Hi kyklop.
I'm not sure that qualifies as ugly, it is all natural and contains its own interest, I did not find it repulsive, it did not make me turn away, more to the point I found I was studying it, which I think at least for me means you didn't quite achieve your goal! Sorry!
Good idea for a way to re purpose our gear during this time.

Cheers Graham.
I like it too. It has a quiet beauty to it....

Upvote 0
I think any landscape can look prettier or uglier, just changing the lighting. Then the position of the sun cause significant changes in colors and contrasts. A polarizing filter also makes an invaluable benefit for landscapes with water reflecting the sky. Speaking of ugly landscape, if you can make a very ugly picture like the one below, you can sell it for $ 4 million.
expensive_photographs05.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
I think any landscape can look prettier or uglier, just changing the lighting. Then the position of the sun cause significant changes in colors and contrasts. A polarizing filter also makes an invaluable benefit for landscapes with water reflecting the sky. Speaking of ugly landscape, if you can make a very ugly picture like the one below, you can sell it for $ 4 million.
expensive_photographs05.jpg

;D ;D

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
kyklop said:
..... How ugly can a landscape be?
Here is my first attempt.....
I too think you failed achieving ugly with this first attempt. Maybe if you borrow a Nikon?

It's moody, pensive, I like it a lot.

Something, combinations of things, most everything about it draws the eyes, make me want to keep looking at it, makes me wish I had been on the walk with you.

The range of greens, the reflections in the water, the horizontal twigs in the foreground offset and balanced by the horizontal branch near the top, the radial spray of moss covered roots framed by the horizontals and the major verticals, it all just works.

You've made getting a beautiful landscape photo in dreary light look easy.

As Don Haines posted.......
Don Haines said:
...It has a quiet beauty to it....
"Quiet beauty", well said.
---
If you intend posting ugly, keep trying, this one doesn't qualify. :D

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
I wondered about this Sunday as I was driving down the Atlantic City Expressway. Does anyone specialize in otherwise beautiful landscapes scarred by electric transmission lines, microwave towers, pipelines, etc? Something like this -- nuclear plant cooling towers:

IMG_0489-L.jpg

Love it, contrast between beauty of flowers and powerful (but ugly) cooling towers split by barbed wire.

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
I wondered about this Sunday as I was driving down the Atlantic City Expressway. Does anyone specialize in otherwise beautiful landscapes scarred by electric transmission lines, microwave towers, pipelines, etc? Something like this -- nuclear plant cooling towers:

IMG_0489-L.jpg

I've been reading this forum for a long time now but I signed up just to respond to this post. Anyway, here is a shot that was taken near my house.
Also, I quiet like the original photo for this post topic. It's not ugly but I do like the topic it brings up of shooting landscapes and things that are sort of "average" or everyday.

IMG_4291-L.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 1,028
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
seems that "ugly landscape" brings up the subject of a factory in many minds... I'll join the club, since it reminded me of an old photo I took at a gas station stop, using my car as tripod to allow longer exposure

the other one is an abandoned tennis court and it was also taken some years ago, both with 350D :)

Attachments

• factory.jpg
    factory.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 863
  • tennis courts.jpg
    tennis courts.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 903
Upvote 0
distant.star said:

IMG_0489-L.jpg

Sorry, as an attempt at "Ugly landscapes", this is an epic fail.
This is both beautiful and meaningful.

Upvote 0

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
Maybe this is closer to what the OP was looking for.

Shot today in WNY/Buffalo area.

Right now everything is rather drab in our area. The grass is yellow and the trees are bare. Everything is wet and muddy. I could not find one sign of spring in terms of foliage. To me, this is what makes the landscape less than attractive. The sun and blue skies are what looks nice after not seeing much of it for the last 4 months.

Attachments

• IMG_0790-2.jpg
    IMG_0790-2.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 511
Upvote 0