UK pricing leaks for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

If the R6 hit's around $2299 USD and the rumored video specs pan out, I'll grab the R6 and another Atomos Ninja V and still be $1000 or so under the R5... which will will be put towards the R1 in 2021 ;)
CFExpress cards alone will set you back more than a Ninja V. Atomos had the V’s on sale until a few days ago. I should have picked one up but I wanted to see how this played out.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah but remember, Canon unleashes those beasts in time with the Olympics. Which are in Japan this time... and got pushed to 2021. And they just dropped the DX3 within the last 6 months. So I'm betting R1X announcement early next year with delivery around may/june 2021 just before the games start.

There's going to come a point where they drop same-spec'd DSLR and mirrorless bodies simultaneously. I just can't tell what product line / level they will do that with.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's pretty logical that they are going to prioritise sensor speed (also helps with the AF processing) over pixel count. So a stacked sensor is a possibility (it can be more MP if the technology is there of course, but I don't think it is)
But because it is the beginning of the next generation, I wouldn't expect it so soon, maybe after they have some fast telephotos to go with it.

Sure, but it used to be a tradeoff of how to best manage throughput, and speed always triumphed over res for that userbase. I get it.

But DIGIC X seems to change the game a bit. 45 x 20 throughput is cake and eating it too. I'm not saying photojournos and sports sideline guys want 45 MP files (surely they don't), but they could honestly jam the R5 internals into a 1-series feature set body and delight other users (namely the old 1Ds crowd).

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Sure, but it used to be a tradeoff of how to best manage throughput, and speed always triumphed over res for that userbase. I get it.

But DIGIC X seems to change the game a bit. 45 x 20 throughput is cake and eating it too. I'm not saying photojournos and sports sideline guys want 45 MP files (surely they don't), but they could honestly jam the R5 internals into a 1-series feature set body and delight other users (namely the old 1Ds crowd).

- A
No, I think the won't care with that at all (really not the time to have too many separate camera models), the R5 is enough as-is, or a 5D Mark V is likely to come too to have a more durable body with that sensor.

They could have done this a long time with DSLRs, the Nikon D3X was the last camera like that, 2008, never to be seen again.

They might re-use the R5 body for a high megapixel sensor (R3?), since the RF lenses are very high resolving, that seems like a more logical thing to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
But the R6 is a new animal to me. Any analogies that this is a 6-series camera (that even I asserted at first) seem out of place in light of these specs. It's not top-top pro everything, but it's a solid notch above the R for everything other than the megapickles.

Compared to the R (from a stills perspective alone):

Thumbwheel to :poop: all over that control bar​
IBIS​
20 fps​
The 1DX3 sensor (reportedly)​
The R5's AF setup (which we presume will march right past the R's setup)​
Surely snappier eye AF in a next-gen product​

So... yeah. That price seems right to me.

- A
Yeah I get that, but the R6 is rumored to have less build quality than the R5. So at 2800 euro, I hope these build quality concessions are not in the weather sealing department (which I fear they are).

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
There's going to come a point where they drop same-spec'd DSLR and mirrorless bodies simultaneously. I just can't tell what product line / level they will do that with.

- A

I dunno. Canon seems to be angling towards a slow phase out of DSLR. I think the DX3 might be the last of it's kind, but I think there would still be a 5D5 and THAT would be the last DSLR pro body. Canon is investing heavily in RF glass designs and they need users moving into that ecosystem. Would Canon really bother with a 1DX4 in 3 years at the 2024 Games? Seems like that ship would have long sailed by then.

What is key to develop for the R1X though is Zero latency on the EVF. That is critical to 1DX users. Matter of fact, I dont think they put out an R1X until they have that latency to as close to zero a physically possible. Part of that I suppose would be a new blazing fast Digic Chip that may be purely dedicated to the EVF and AF (similar to the 1DX and 1dx2 - minus the EVF of course). I'd guess the R1X would hang around 24-30MP and have some new insane top speed of 25fps in 14bit RAW shooting. (Right now the 20fps electronic shutter on the DX3 is 12bit RAW, not 14 like the 16fps Mechanical shutter)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
They might re-use the R5 body for high megapixel sensor, that seems like a more logical thing to do.

My point: some folks want high res and a 1-series feature set rather than have to choose between the two. Landscapers (and possibly some wildlifers) come to mind. The R1 or some variant of it could try to do that.

At that price point, anything is possible. Heck, if we can get a dedicated astro model or have two 5DS models just because of the AA filter anything is possible.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Seems the UK wants to be first ;)

This would be 4.662 € at the actual exchange rate.
So pointing towards 4.599 € in the EU.
Maybe. Maybe not. RF glass is currently almost a 1:1 conversion. Although the 4.599 also hints at only a inflation adjustment when compared to the 5D IV introduction price back in 2016. Doesn't seem too far off either way.

More Interesting pricing on the R6 actually, hints at both R and RP remaining in the market for some time longer.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
No.
Not only different taxation. But also different markets -> hard to calculate. But looking into past, US typically gets the best price.
True, but usually not good enough to get one on vacation and pay the import tariff when returning to the EU. While slipping an iPhone through customs might seem worth the risk for some, a $4k+ camera will be suspicious, especially if carried without the appropriate charger for the home market.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
My point: some folks want high res and a 1-series feature set rather than have to choose between the two. Landscapers (and possibly some wildlifers) come to mind. The R1 or some variant of it could try to do that.

At that price point, anything is possible. Heck, if we can get a dedicated astro model or have two 5DS models just because of the AA filter anything is possible.

- A
As I wrote, the Nikon D3X proves that there aren't enough of them to present a business case for it, so it would be a bad idea for them to do it.
The 5DsR is a pretty durable camera on its own to be honest.
Adding in the battery grip or covering the camera for heavy rain is really not that bad as opposed to carrying a big camera at all times.

If there are speed and AF drive benefits, then yes, it is worth having that huge battery inside the camera, that's the main point of the D6 and 1DX III.

It will increase from the 20MP anyway, I just don't see them increasing it too much.

Upvote 0