UK pricing leaks for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
No it won't. To me it looks like the socket on the bottom of the genuine Canon EF/EF-m adapter and the 100-400 MkII, it takes a screw in foot with anti rotation locking detents.

View attachment 191189

That design does allow for third parties to fairly easily make an Arca-Swiss foot for the lenses that use it. RRS will make a mint on such a foot.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
The full time working professional photographer is becoming less and less relevant to Canon's marketing strategy as the number of full-time pro photographers, particularly staff photojournalists who were once the largest category by a fairly large margin, continues to plummet. Freelancers making pennies on the dollar compared to what they did as staff pjs can't afford to upgrade until their current gear breaks beyond repair.

The upper end camera and lens market is more and more being driven by well-heeled amateurs and enthusiasts, as well as "weekend warriors" shooting weddings, events, and even high level pro sports (what little has returned from the COVID shutdown).
It will be interesting to see how their sales are impacted in the immediate future. The demographic of the buyer is changing as you said, but I dont think these things are going to be flying off the shelves. Everyone has been impacted by the pandemic. Some will still be in a position to purchase, but some who would have jumped at this pre pandemic may hold back. I do think these new products will ultimately be a huge success. But it may get off to a rocky start in terms of overall sales, through no fault of its own.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It will be interesting to see how their sales are impacted in the immediate future. The demographic of the buyer is changing as you said, but I dont think these things are going to be flying off the shelves. Everyone has been impacted by the pandemic. Some will still be in a position to purchase, but some who would have jumped at this pre pandemic may hold back. I do think these new products will ultimately be a huge success. But it may get off to a rocky start in terms of overall sales, through no fault of its own.
Used gear is flying off the shelves of the UK retailers, which might be an indication that people are counting their pennies.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Let there be dollars:
North American prices for new Canon products will be $3899 for the R5 body, $2499 for the R6 body, $699 for the RF600mm, $899 for the RF800mm, $599 for the RF85mm macro and $2699 for the RF100-500mm.

- A

Both bodies came in at $100 more than my prediction since early Spring that they would be introduced at $3,799 and $2,399.

The 85mm Macro is about what I expected, both pricewise and with 1:2 reproduction ratio, which leaves room for a much higher end 100mm or so 1:1 lens.

The 100-500mm is also about what I expected.

The real shockers for me are the LOW prices for the 600/800 f/11 lenses and that they will be officially compatible with the new RF extenders. I expected the collapsable barrels for storage, but I also expected them to go for about twice what they are going to cost (699/899 USD instead of 1499/1799 USD).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That design does allow for third parties to fairly easily make an Arca-Swiss foot for the lenses that use it. RRS will make a mint on such a foot.
Indeed, although RRS have gone off the boil a bit recently. The 1DX MkII L-bracket was a bad rehash of the 1DX version and the 1DX MkIII L-plate is simply a poor design and I did give them a heads up before they finished designing it. I’ll be getting the Kirk version when it comes time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Here's a picture of me taken with my EOS-R putting my wallet back on the shelf waiting for the price cuts down the road.

Maybe the 100-500 after the reviews are in.

The prices on the f/11 600 / 800mm lead me to believe they are a entry-level novelty and not something I'd be interested in. If it isn't at least as good as the 100-400L II with the 1.4 then count me out.

As many of us have been saying for quite a while, if you expected 600/800mm lenses with anywhere near the IQ of the 100-400mm II these lenses are not for you. These lenses have been created to pull long focal length APS-C Canon and Sony shooters, as well as 300-400mm Micro Four-Thirds shooters, into the full frame RF system at affordable prices.

An RP + 600mm f/11 combo should only cost around $1,400 USD as soon as they are available, and probably a little less after the dust has settled. That combo should perform comparably to an APS-C camera + 400/8 or Micro Four-Thirds camera + 300mm/5.6 in terms of angle of view, DoF, and image noise.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Right now my country is open internally, but border is lock to F down. Thankfully our Govt did really well in moving early. But, I can't get the R6 until the border is reopened!

It's way cheaper to fly to Miami or NYC, buy gear and return with it in luggage, than paying the ridiculous duties and vat if I have it shipped.

Until borders are open I am going to have a permanent sour look on my face lol

Plan is
R6
RF 24-105 L f4
RF 85 f2
+Accessories

Upvote 0