Uncle Rog's Teardown of the R5

Dec 13, 2010
I was really excited to see the thick rubber seals and thought they’ve really done well compared to the R, but then at the top it’s really not all that? Basically same as the R and no rubber, just overlap of panels?

does this mean that when carrying the camera upside down with my BR strap it’s just as fragile as the R? Bummer if that’s the case...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I was really excited to see the thick rubber seals and thought they’ve really done well compared to the R, but then at the top it’s really not all that? Basically same as the R and no rubber, just overlap of panels?

does this mean that when carrying the camera upside down with my BR strap it’s just as fragile as the R? Bummer if that’s the case...
It definitely sounds like the last thing you want to do is get the camera wet while it's upside down

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

You had a foggy EVF, right? (Were you using a BR strap then?)

I don't think Roger's tear-down addressed the EVF's amount of sealing. And while he referred to the top as "standard," he did bring more attention to the top of the lens mount area. These are concerning points. I think I'll look back at a 5DIV tear-down.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
You had a foggy EVF, right? (Were you using a BR strap then?)

I don't think Roger's tear-down addressed the EVF's amount of sealing. And while he referred to the top as "standard," he did bring more attention to the top of the lens mount area. These are concerning points. I think I'll look back at a 5DIV tear-down.
Yup, absolutely right and I was using the BR strap. (y)
I’ve never had a an issue with the lens mount though, and if they made that worse I would be very surprised ..

guess I’ll use it sort of like the way I used a 1-series and I’ll find out:p

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
" So we have the regular overhang and foam sealing on top that gives rain protection, but the bottom, the part you might set in a puddle, is tightly sealed. It makes sense unless we missed a leaking point on the bottom. "

At least my impression is that the lower 2/3rds has something new and better, the top 1/3 has the same weather sealing as previous "5" cameras. Overall, I consider this very good. But, yes, I can see how carrying the camera upside down in the rain might be an issue. You'd be counting on the foam sealing.

Upvote 0