Updated list of unreleased Canon gear

Jul 30, 2010
For me the M needs to be tiny, so I really don't want an EVF, the M50 is too close to the size of the 100D to be worth buying. About 70-80% of the pictures I take with the M are with the MP-E65 of insects and spider, I'm not flexible enough to see through the EVF/OVF when trying to reach most of their hiding spots!
The M50 has a back screen that you can flip it anyway you want. you can use it as a waist-level viewfinder. just like a Rolleiflex in the old days.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
By the time it's 1600 you will be complaining that the EOS R Pro is too expensive at 3400 and it should be 2400.
Depends on the features? At $3400 it should at least match other $3400 cameras. That would include a 40+ MP BSI sensor with 14+ stops of DR, IBIS, Full Frame K, and dual cards slots.

Upvote 0

Sergio Smorovoz

5D + 50 f/1.2L
Oct 17, 2018
Moscow
smorovoz.com
I know, and that makes the EVF even more irrelevant for me :) Can't wait for the M6II !

The M50 has the ability to touch and drag an autofocus point with your finger while watching EWF. The focal points across the entire field of the frame are fantastic for the photographer. Does your 7D have so many focus points? :)

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
I hope they are both rf mount. Time to go all in on mirrorless.

There are two main differences between DSLR and Mirror-less cameras: 1) one have a mirror and the other not, and 2) because of the mirror the rear of the lens distance from the sensor is shorter in mirror-less than DSLR. There are some other features like in DSLR you see (via a penta or mirror prism) the actual view of the lens, while in mirror-less you see it on electric screen. DSLR are still bit "faster" that the non mirror version and DSLR are more mechanical, hence a bit bigger and heavier. Beside those technical issues, the sensors are the same, the processors are the same and most of all, the photographer that holds the camera is the same. So why should a company "neglect" a large community of customers for "the new thing?" Actually, once Canon will have "enough" RF lenses, they will "sit back" so to speak, and evaluate where the market is heading. Mirror-less cameras were there from the first day point and shoot became digital, even smartphones did not change the fact people still buy DSLR ( I can't even compare smartphones with all their megapixels cameras, 4? 6? 10 of them packed on one phone now?) to my 6MP digital rebel pictures.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
How many MP ? FF or APSC for 90D ?
The 90D won't be FF, it is APSC (2/3) sensor at it is the successor of the 80D, same for the 7DMark3. about MP, it would be about 24-30 range.. but to be honest, the race for high MP is ridiculous, beside professionals that need huge MP for posters and such, most people just reduce their pictures to something that they can post on the internet, HD screen?

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
The 90D won't be FF, it is APSC (2/3) sensor at it is the successor of the 80D, same for the 7DMark3. about MP, it would be about 24-30 range.. but to be honest, the race for high MP is ridiculous, beside professionals that need huge MP for posters and such, most people just reduce their pictures to something that they can post on the internet, HD screen?
Quickly....APS-C and "2/3rds" are different sensor sizes.

But, agreed with overall point, I would expect the replacements to the 7DII, 80D, M5/6, Rebels to continue to be APS-C sized sensors.

As for the MP race. I hope that Canon continues to provide the market with cameras in the 20-30 MP range. It would be a shame if that was no longer an option as I agree, I think that is a great MP count for many applications.

But, I like options and am glad to see high MP sensors out there as an option. This forum has several examples of people using the 5Ds(R), but one that I find interesting is a friend (seriously, not me) that has the 1DxII, 5DIV and 5DsR. He is primarily a birder and feels each excels in different instances.

Options are good.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Quickly....APS-C and "2/3rds" are different sensor sizes.

But, agreed with overall point, I would expect the replacements to the 7DII, 80D, M5/6, Rebels to continue to be APS-C sized sensors.

As for the MP race. I hope that Canon continues to provide the market with cameras in the 20-30 MP range. It would be a shame if that was no longer an option as I agree, I think that is a great MP count for many applications.

But, I like options and am glad to see high MP sensors out there as an option. This forum has several examples of people using the 5Ds(R), but one that I find interesting is a friend (seriously, not me) that has the 1DxII, 5DIV and 5DsR. He is primarily a birder and feels each excels in different instances.

Options are good.
They do! I have 5DIV and 5DsR (and a 7DII I do not use much now). The 5DsR is the very good for distant birds and at the same time makes targeting BIF easier due to being FF. I have not used the 5DIV for birding a lot but it is a fantastic landscape camera (with a big DR) and a superb low light one (Milky way, night shots, internal spaces like churches and museums). I would rather see them updated to the next generation versions rather than seeing mirrorless ones.

Upvote 0