upgrade from t2i to 1dm4 or 1dx??

TeleFragger said:
BL said:
If you feel comfortable, and he is a close enough friend, ask him to borrow it over a weekend when you are shooting MMA or sports when he's not shooting 2nd.

This will likely answer most of your questions. Something tells me 6fps from the 5D will be sufficient - getting keepers has more to do with technique (e.g. timing and anticipation) in action, imho anyway. 1Dx just takes spray and pray to a whole new level.

he wont loan anything out.. I needed a 70-200 f2.8 for a work event and I hinted needing to find one to borrow. later that day we were talking about something and he said.. yeah that is why I dont loan anything out to ANYONE....

also spray and pray... i do fine with my 3.4 a sec... I got ok timing.. anticipation.. I did one street hockey and got EVERY goal in the net... think it was like 6-4... what I want out of the spray is simple... something I have wanted to do and cant do with my t2i...

see an anticipated goal from the goalie... or dive save...

zoom out a bit for full frame I want... start the ... RATTTAAA TAAAT TTAAAAT TAAAAAT....
then at home take say 8 or so.... layer them in Photoshop and have that beautiful pic showing all motion where starting point is faint all the way to the dive save that is not faint at all...

same as baseball... get the pitcher winding up and throwing.... ball in air down the plate line.. then batter hitting...

a lot of work on that one but would be cool....

LOL! I can see why your friend suggested the 1D IV.
It seems the rapid-fire burst and a rugged body really appeals to you, you like things big and badass! Like your truck!
And your friend has brought you down from the unrealistic (for your experience and needs, probably) 1D X to a more reasonable 1D IV- I give him credits for that.
I have never used a 1-series body, but I have not heard anything bad about them except weight (oh, and Mackguyver's fake rants about his 1D X!). The ergonomics are great, the fps and ruggedness as mentioned before, premium AF and control features.

I also don't think you will lose a lot of IQ by getting the 1D IV instead of the 5DIII. Sometimes, IQ isn't the most important thing. Personally, I don't think you'd be happy with a 5DIII, regardless of the images you get from it and the features it provides. I also think you won't miss the 1D X if you end up getting the 1D IV.

My 2 cents- get the 1D IV- you'll be very satisfied.
Cheers

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
I have never used a 1-series body, but I have not heard anything bad about them except weight (oh, and Mackguyver's fake rants about his 1D X!). The ergonomics are great, the fps and ruggedness as mentioned before, premium AF and control features.
Who said my rants were fake! Okay, they might have been a little sarcastic...but yes, other than the size & weight, you won't hear many complaints about the 1D X. The 1D III is another story, but they fixed that with the 1D IV :). I haven't seen many complaints about the 5DIII, either, though.

I'd second the suggestion on giving the gear a rent, but will say that the 5DIII is plenty of camera for most people and 6fps isn't 12fps, but it's fast enough for most sports and wildlife work if you have good timing. Even with the 1D X, you can't machine gun a whole game unless you want to go through a few 256GB cards and spend hours and hours going through near-identical photos. The difference between 6 & 12 fps is really this - 12fps is for when you have to get the shot and can't miss it / have to capture the precise moment (like when the ball leaves the players hand). 6fps is for when you are okay with getting most shots and potentially missing the peak moment but getting the shot just before or just after the peak.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

I don't have too much experience of the 5D Nk3, but from what I have seen/tried is is a fine camera and I rate it. I used to have a 1D4 and currently use the 1DX.
The 1DX is a fantastic camera that I would recommend to anyone - if they don't mind the weight! However in your case I would strongly suggest that a 5D3 with a few L lenses would be a better setup than a 1DX with cheaper glass (as many have already said). With third party lenses you will loose much, if not all, of the AF speed advantage of the 1DX. Even for sports/wildlife 6fps isn't a huge disadvantage, I never ran my 1D4 or run my 1DX at max fps as there is little point and the AF seems to work a little better at 1 or 2 fps below max.
The 5D3 is arguably the best "All Round" camera currently available at less than silly money. If your main bias is fast moving subjects the a used 1D4 is roughly the same money and a good alternative. For more general use I would go for the 5D3.
I only went to the 1D4/1DX AFTER I had my glass, as whatever camera you buy the first step in getting high quality images is the lens!
You will probably be delighted with any of the 3 cameras but I would suggest you get the glass first and then see which camera you can afford. Incidentally ditch the Sigma 50-500 and get a Canon 400 F5.6 L (new or used) - better lens. I don't bother with long Zoom lenses as even my 800mm is only VERY rarely too long.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
TeleFragger said:
but anyway he said because the 5dm3 is not a sports camera. Wont give me the 10fps, is rugged but not as much since I told him some games are in the rain and i mean down pour.

If you shoot in downpours, consider lenses which are environmentally sealed.

Or a rain sleeve.

Upvote 0
Geez, you guys and your 5DIII's ::) No one who wants to shoot sports primarily is ever going to be satisfied with a 5DIII. You need the high frame rate to maximize the chance to get the right shots - intense facial expressions, ball just leaving the hand, two faces and that sense of conflict and emotion, etc. that you can't get with proper timing alone. This is literally what the 1 series was designed for and y'all are telling him its not the right camera?

My advice to you Fragger is to listen to your friend at work and go for the 1DIV. I have one, I shoot sports and wildlife, it rules. The 1DX is amazing and I'd trade up for it in a heartbeat if I had the money but to get the most out of that body would mean spending five figures on lenses as well. For the money you're looking at getting I'd go for the 1DIV, a used v1 300mm or 400mm f2.8 IS and a good monopod and be absolutely blown away shooting sports. You'll probably even have a good chunk left over to take the wife out somewhere nice. If you get really really into sports shooting, like start making money at it or whatever, you can always upgrade to the 1DX later on.

Upvote 0
I went from a 7D to a 5D3 and although I've never held a 1DX I'd say save your money for fast lens's and get the 5D3. Your gonna have a big enough learning curve as it is. I went from a Rebel XTi to a t2i to a 7D then the 5D3. I am still blown away at how much better the 5d3 is compared to my 7D. I sold all of me Lens's when I did my last upgrade and am slowly upgrading as funds allow. Currently I own a EF 24-105mm L and a EF 17-40mm L. My next lens is gonna be the EF 70-200 L IS and then the 100mm L macro. As far as action shots go my wife use to take pictures of me jumping out of C130's and C17's using my old Rebel Xti and a dirt cheap tamron zoom which is light years away from what I own now. I'll attach a couple pics. Oh and I'll also add a pic of my '14 2SS.

Attachments

• IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_2200.JPG
    IMG_2200.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 334
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Steve said:
Geez, you guys and your 5DIII's ::) No one who wants to shoot sports primarily is ever going to be satisfied with a 5DIII. You need the high frame rate to maximize the chance to get the right shots - intense facial expressions, ball just leaving the hand, two faces and that sense of conflict and emotion, etc. that you can't get with proper timing alone. This is literally what the 1 series was designed for and y'all are telling him its not the right camera?

Because a body is only half (or less) of the equation. If it were a "I want to buy a 1Dx and several series 2 L lenses, should I," nobody would likely dissuade him.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Steve said:

Because a body is only half (or less) of the equation. If it were a "I want to buy a 1Dx and several series 2 L lenses, should I," nobody would likely dissuade him.

Sometimes one wants what one wants. It's not always about the features, but also the person using it.
A sedan probably would be sufficient for his commute, and be more economical (as I remember him saying about the gas mileage)- but he went for the truck. And there's nothing wrong with it- his money, his choice.
I think TF wants a 1-D body. Now the 1D X, that's a bit much. But 1DIV is not much worse or much more expensive than the 5DIII, and it will give him all the 1-series advantages, which are considerable.
My 2c.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
sagittariansrock said:
3kramd5 said:
Steve said:

Sometimes one wants what one wants. It's not always about the features, but also the person using it.
A sedan probably would be sufficient for his commute, and be more economical (as I remember him saying about the gas mileage)- but he went for the truck. And there's nothing wrong with it- his money, his choice.
I think TF wants a 1-D body. Now the 1D X, that's a bit much. But 1DIV is not much worse or much more expensive than the 5DIII, and it will give him all the 1-series advantages, which are considerable.
My 2c.

Perhaps it comes down to format. If the OP wants full frame, the 5d3 suits with room in the budget for appropriate glass. If he wants a crop, the 1d4 suits with room in the budget for appropriate glass. Alternatively, he could grab a 1Dx and some less than optimal lenses which he can eventually replace.

In any case, I agree. It's his money. I know how I'd spend it, but it isn't my decision.

Upvote 0
For my day job I shoot with a 5Dmk3 (mostly for video or landscape photos) and a 1DX (my go to camera for any action/sports/nature shot).

Previously, I had a 1Dmk3 (the only truly bad 1D camera for its intended purpose) then a mk4 (fixed all the mk3's issues.

For my personal stuff, I shoot with a 60D and 70D.

To answer your post:

If all goes well then you'll have $7 to $8k in camera funds.

If you can find a 1dmk4 in good shape (they're no longer in production) for under $3500 then go for it. It's AF system is awesome and I actually like the 1.3 crop factor for shooting sports on a super tele. Compared to your Rebel T2i (also my first DSLR) it's a huge upgrade and a steep learning curve, but well worth the price. It's also at least 1 1/2 stops better than the T2i in high iso and dynamic range. Though 10fps will be a blessing and a curse...yes, you'll get the shot...but you'll have to sort through 3 times as many images to find it.

If you can't find a 1dmk4 for under $3500, then you can either wait for the 7Dmk2 or opt for the 5Dmk3. No, don't go for the 1DX. It'd kill your budget and putting inferior glass on it will negatively impact the AF performance and image quality. If you've got the time to wait for a 7Dmk2 announcement (most likely this year), then I'd hold out for it. If not, the 5Dmk3 is still a good option.

As for glass: I strongly recommend getting the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS v1 OR v2. I have both and to be honest, the v1 is still very much capable. If the v1 was a 9/10 then the v2 is a 9.5/10. Reason for going with this lens instead of a third party is because the AF system in combo with the high burst rate will ensure your images have a better keeper rate. I've used the Tamron 70-200 along with Sigma's version and noticed a significant drop in my keeper rate vs the Canons. 8/10 shots from the Canon versions while 3-4/10 shots for both the Tamron and Sigma while shooting a local hip hop break dance competition with bad lighting and fast movement...something similar that you can expect in a night sports event.

If you need the ultra tele focal length then consider buying a 1.4 or 2.0 tele converter for your 70-200. It will lose a stop or two depending on which one you use, but you'll still have the AF advantage. If you really get into shooting sports then save up for the 300 or 400 super teles...trust me, they're both worlds apart from any third party lens (and I've used a lot because my employer receives a lot of pre production glass from manufacturers).

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:

Right, but the question was between the 1DIV and 1DX, not the 1DX and every other camera made. Dude wants a camera for sports, not weddings. The 5DIII, while a very nice camera, is inappropriate for the type of shooting he wants to do. What's hard about this concept? He wants a sports car and you're all telling him to buy an SUV.

Upvote 0
u guys are funny... i like that... :p

on my current beer state i will try and say something.. will see if it makes sense tomorrow..

nice car.. not a zl1...
cat.. nice
coin.. cmon how far do u get with a penny?>???

anyway.. I could use an xti to do those... anyone can expose to the levels of stationary...

my biggest thing is my t2i COULD do what i need with glass.. so yes I WANT a new camera.. bought the t2i in 2009... now... side note kid i think backed out. I tried txting him and i got a recipient is not accepting txt... I am an android person but my wife said u can do that on an iphone so he is blocking me.. no biggie..

so with that... no new camera... next march is bonus time and i WANT a new camera again..

so with that... my WANt is because I HATE my picss as I think they suck with the t2i..

now forget the t2i;s capabilities... now and then I turn it on... zoom in.. auto fucus and were good... go to take a pic an no go.. camera wont take a pic... remove batteries sit for an hr (what i found works) and im good to go...
that SUX.. camera has an issue...

for what i do as not paid my pics are ok.. even blurry people love em... thanks to iphone...

I want and can not do 1/2000 iso 100 pics with my t2i indoors for MMA or night street hockey. We just registered the kids for hockey so more pics to come. we will see...

Upvote 0