Upgrade to Sypder 5 Elite?

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
I upgraded from a Spyder 3 due to software compatibility with windows 10. Not sure if the Spyder 4 would be in the same boat but the Spyder 5 works just fine. My eyes couldn't tell a difference between a Spyder 3/5 calibrated monitor. If it's a good deal, you might consider the upgrade just for software support reasons.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2012
wsmith96 said:
I upgraded from a Spyder 3 due to software compatibility with windows 10. Not sure if the Spyder 4 would be in the same boat but the Spyder 5 works just fine. My eyes couldn't tell a difference between a Spyder 3/5 calibrated monitor. If it's a good deal, you might consider the upgrade just for software support reasons.

Spyder 3 works just fine on my Windows 10 machine. No reason for me to upgrade at all.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Dan!

I started with a spyder 3 pro and upgraded some time ago to the spyder 4 pro.
I did this because I've read that the V3 had an organic color sensor that would age and after some 3 to 5 years would no longer deliver realistic results.
The V4 has a different type of sensor and here this problem of aging should not occur.
So I had no reasons to get the V5.

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
I contacted Datacolor asking why this offer wasn't available in Canada when it was first announced on Canon Rumors. It took a few weeks before I received an email that it was now available in Canada. I bought Spyder 5 Elite and printed all the information I would need to submit for the rebate. I upgraded from Spyder 3 Pro and I can see an improvement in colours on my 21 inch iMac. I will be mailing in my papers for the rebate shortly. The rebate offer is the reason for me upgrading to Spyder 5 Elite. I highly recommend upgrading to Spyder 5 Elite by September 30 th to get the rebate offer.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
If you are printing, and your prints match your screen well enough for you to be getting the results you want, why mess with what is working?

Have you had issues with colors being inaccurate? And if you are talking about subtle improvements, don't forget that any time you post your images on any display other than your own, your precision goes right out the window in most cases.

Upvote 0

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Thanks to all for your replies. I've not yet got to the point of doing detailed colour work, so an upgrade at this point may not be worth the money. I was just wondering if there was any significant difference between the 4 & 5. On the other hand, I will likely go to a proper monitor (currently using a laptop) in the near future, so an upgrade may be beneficial. Compared to other photography equipment expenditures I've made, this one appears to be fairly cheap.

Upvote 0