Vancouver Island - suggestions (photographic or otherwise)

Mar 25, 2011
e are so many beautiful places, some are difficult to get to, lots of tourist spots. In Victoria, I'd tend to park the car and take some of the tourist busses that will visit some of the interesting places. Otherwise, the car will be useful for driving up the inside highway. I used to take my boat from Port Alberni to Bamfield on Barkley Sound. We camped out on some of the islands in the inlet, and fished. That was before the oil spill and was in the 1980's.

Alberni inlet is basically a Fiord with fantastic views. If there is a tour boat, it might be worth the trip. You can drive to Ucluelet, it used to be a rough drive, I have no idea if roads are now improved.

There used to be lots of fishing for salmon, you could go on charter boats, but I have no idea as to what is happening today. I took a 25 hp outboard motor, rented a boat, and fished out of Campbell River.

The opportunities are endless.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Depends on what you like. Craigdarroch Castle. Victoria Butterfly Gardens (use the hand warmer in the restroom to heat your gear before going in). The Raptors Centre (in the city of Duncan; Riverwalk Café in the Quw'utsun' Cultural and Conference Centre can provide a culturally engaging lunch). Any number of lighthouses (esp. Fisgard), shipwrecks and the like.

A ferry trip to the nearby wine islands can combine photography with wine tasting. Watch for bald eagles: you'll see their white heads in the trees a long ways off, and they often launch alongside the ferries to fish the churn. If you like sea animals, perhaps look into an orca boat trip.

If the weather is nasty, Tofino is the traditional storm watching place.

Additionally if you get the chance, perhaps treat the one you love to fine dining at Brasserie L'école in Victoria. No reservations, be there when it opens. Or Saveur, which I haven't tried yet but hear great things about. Always nice to do something romantic even if it isn't photocentric. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
scottburgess said:
Depends on what you like. Craigdarroch Castle. Victoria Butterfly Gardens (use the hand warmer in the restroom to heat your gear before going in). The Raptors Centre (in the city of Duncan; Riverwalk Café in the Quw'utsun' Cultural and Conference Centre can provide a culturally engaging lunch). Any number of lighthouses (esp. Fisgard), shipwrecks and the like.

A ferry trip to the nearby wine islands can combine photography with wine tasting. Watch for bald eagles: you'll see their white heads in the trees a long ways off, and they often launch alongside the ferries to fish the churn. If you like sea animals, perhaps look into an orca boat trip.

If the weather is nasty, Tofino is the traditional storm watching place.

Additionally if you get the chance, perhaps treat the one you love to fine dining at Brasserie L'école in Victoria. No reservations, be there when it opens. Or Saveur, which I haven't tried yet but hear great things about. Always nice to do something romantic even if it isn't photocentric. ;)

Yes, endless possibilities. I was wanting to take the ferry from Port Angeles for a few days about 2 weeks from now. We finally decided that we did not want to leave our small dog at home with a friend, taking one across the border on short notice is impossible. Its been too many years since we were on Vancouver Island, its something to look forward to again and again.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Butchart Gardens yet. It is incredibly photogenic, and the attention to detail shown with the landscaping at the garden is stunning. It is well worth visiting.

If you are an avid hiker, the next time you visit Vancouver Island you may want to consider backpacking along the West Coast Trail. It is about a one week trip. The people you meet on the trail are incredibly friendly, and the scenery and wildlife you will encounter are spectacular. We saw lighthouses, shipwrecks, bald eagles, whales, seals, a cougar footprint, tidal pools teeming with life, etc. It is not an easy trail (I destroyed a hiking pole from all the tree roots!), and there are a lot of ladders to scale, but it is worth it. Photos of my trip last year are here: https://goo.gl/photos/d2QsV6nDfDhyN93k9.

Upvote 0

dpc

Dec 11, 2013
Western Canada
Mikehit said:
This weekend we are flying to Canada to spend a few days watching grizzlies then 10 days round Vancouver Island. We will be hiring a car and making it up as we go along.
Does anyone have any suggestions for places to see, whether or not with photographic interest?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Fantastic place to visit. Excellent suggestions from everyone. Goldstream Provincial Park in Victoria. Sooke Regional Park. Long Beach near Tofino. Cathedral Forest grove outside Port Alberni. The list is endless. Have fun. :)

Upvote 0