Variable ND filters

Nov 12, 2016
Well I mean, if an ND filter does give your photos more contrast, then it's not a very good ND filter.

It's right in the name... "Neutral density filter." That means by definition the effect of the filter on the image should be neutral. It shouldn't be accentuating or diminishing any specific part of the image. All NDs are meant to do is lower the total amount of light coming into the camera, not affect the makeup of the image.

You might try a CPL for what you want to do, but don't waste time with NDs if this is your goal for using them. They are specifically designed not to do what you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I know a lot of the general uses for a nd filter, but has anyone seen whether a nd filter causes higher contrast in their photos? Looking to try and get more contrast in my outdoor portrait shots(f1.2) and I am curious if a nd filter would create more of a contrast pop
Why not do this in post ? If you don’t want to tweak tonal contrast yourself download the DXO NIK software and use the tonal contrast module.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0