Venus LAOWA 15mm f4 1:1 wide angle macro

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
sanj said:
Very beautiful photos indeed.

BUT

I find it near impossible to believe that a photographer can approach 'true' wildlife so close. Then go so low and frame. Then light and shoot with the animal posing so perfectly.

Something I need to learn here.

Learn how to play a pungi while juggling a camera & lights :)

Wonderful photos Kris!

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
sanj said:
Very beautiful photos indeed.

BUT

I find it near impossible to believe that a photographer can approach 'true' wildlife so close. Then go so low and frame. Then light and shoot with the animal posing so perfectly.

Something I need to learn here.

Learn how to play a pungi while juggling a camera & lights :)

Wonderful photos Kris!

Lol you nailed it Brad-man, its an absolute nightmare really and I cant say I enjoy the process of taking pictures - I'd be much happier if I had bought a pair of binoculars many years ago rather than a camera!

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:
LonelyBoy said:
Dammit you're making me want one of these.

The animals or the lens? :D

-Sebastian

Lens. Everything with more than four legs can DIAF for all I care. How is the MF with a DSLR, though? I had figured this sort of lens would be begging for a mirrorless with peaking and all.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
Lens. Everything with more than four legs can DIAF for all I care. How is the MF with a DSLR, though? I had figured this sort of lens would be begging for a mirrorless with peaking and all.

Yeah it is a real challenge on a DSLR and to be honest where possible I mostly use it with a mirrorless. However it isnt much easier to use on a mirrorless and I never found peaking realiable enough to use so simply eyeball the screen to get correct focus.

Upvote 0
krisbell said:
Yeah it is a real challenge on a DSLR and to be honest where possible I mostly use it with a mirrorless. However it isnt much easier to use on a mirrorless and I never found peaking realiable enough to use so simply eyeball the screen to get correct focus.

Why is it more of a challenge on a DSLR?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
chrysoberyl said:
krisbell said:

I think he means focus assist and EV are helpful to him.

Upvote 0
krisbell said:
LonelyBoy said:

I see, thanks. So are all these from your 5D3?

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Don't forget, if you really like the idea of focus peaking, there are Magic Lantern stable releases for most models of Canon older than 6 months to a year. Furthermore, ML is a temporary program you load onto the camera from your memory card when you start up the camera. To get rid of it, turn off camera, take out card, replace with a card that doesn't contain the ML program, and start up camera.

Most of the ML features are related to video, but a few are useful for stills photographers.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Kris Bell: re: timber rattlesnake - you have more courage than I have, my macro approach for poisonous snakes is a 180mm with or without 1.4x teleconverter. Or did you have this on a mechanized slider or stationary remote control with mechanized focus pull? I so don't trust timber rattlesnakes or cottonmouths - too aggressive and too poisonous.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:

I think for a few minor factors that add up (bear in mind it is far from 'easy' on any camera). Firstly a DSLR is bigger and bulkier and with small critters you need to be at ground level, or even have the camera below ground level and this is easier with a smaller mirrorless. Secondly I can adjust the screen and EV brightness on mirrorless, which is very helpful with achieving focus on manual focus and aperture lenses - I dont believe this is possible on my 5D3. Tilt screens, while not unique to mirrorless, are also helpful and are not offered on the higher end Canon full frame DSLRs (that I am aware of). Zooming in to focus on a certain part of the frame is also easier on my particular mirrorless (a7r) than my DSLR (5D3). There are probably a few other little quirks that I cant recall at present but they are the bigger ones.

LonelyBoy said:
I see, thanks. So are all these from your 5D3?

No, almost none of them are from my 5D3 - most are from an a7r

NancyP said:
Kris Bell: re: timber rattlesnake - you have more courage than I have, my macro approach for poisonous snakes is a 180mm with or without 1.4x teleconverter. Or did you have this on a mechanized slider or stationary remote control with mechanized focus pull? I so don't trust timber rattlesnakes or cottonmouths - too aggressive and too poisonous.

No this was handheld with camera on the ground. I use a large flash diffuser which generally gets the brunt of any strike and shields my face, but I also have purpose-built gloves in case they get targeted. In my limited experience of timber rattlers they are extremely docile and hardly ever strike (and a minor point but they are not poisonous but venomous ;)). Equally with cottonmouths they tend to threaten aggression through displays than actually striking, but I wouldnt want to put my hand in front of one!

Upvote 0