Venus Optics announces the Laowa 14mm f/4 FF RL Zero-D lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Yes, but some have electronic aperture control, like the EF 100mm 2x, but not the RF version.
I'm getting on fine without electronic control on the RF 100mm 2x - but it did take some getting used to, and I'd prefer it (especially for exif data). Lens quality and IQ are very good - especially for the price. I'd anticipate similar for the 14mm - although I'm not in the market.

Upvote 0
I always see lens speak of being great for Astro when they are wide, but would that go for doing interior real estate shots?! Rn I use the 17-40, but have been told to do the 16-35?! But if there is 0 distortion at 14 wouldn’t it be exactly what I want to get perfect lines, etc?! Or is there a better option(I have the R) and of course for personal use would rather AF, but again if 0 distortion it sounds dreamy lol

the five start part on lights is scary unless that would be a benefit for ceiling lights(I’ve never put into thought into them except to make sure they are lit well etc.)

Upvote 0
I always see lens speak of being great for Astro when they are wide, but would that go for doing interior real estate shots?! Rn I use the 17-40, but have been told to do the 16-35?! But if there is 0 distortion at 14 wouldn’t it be exactly what I want to get perfect lines, etc?! Or is there a better option(I have the R) and of course for personal use would rather AF, but again if 0 distortion it sounds dreamy lol

the five start part on lights is scary unless that would be a benefit for ceiling lights(I’ve never put into thought into them except to make sure they are lit well etc.)
I would think this lens would do quite well for RE shoots. In R mount the 15-35 would come as close to this as Canon has at the moment. A good friend of mine shoots quite a lot of high end RE and uses Nikon’s 14-24 quite successfully for interiors. As you said, the wider with the least distortion is most desirable. I would think manual focus would be fine given ability to focus peek on Rs and the need to control focus at wider apertures on a tripod.

Bob

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
This is a tempting adjunct for weight-limited travel, perhaps with a 24-70 or 70-200, or even with 100-500.

The 11-24 is 5x the weight, so this has quite a different mission and could exist alongside. I've been asking for a 14mm prime, and don't care about speed. I'd pay double for an AF RF, but this might do.

Upvote 0