Venus Optics announces the Laowa Argus 45mm f/0.95 FF for the RF mount

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release: Venus Optics, the manufacturer that specializes in making unique camera lenses, is proud to introduce a new Full-Frame member for the Argus series – Laowa Argus 45mm f/0.95 FF. This exceptional standard lens offers a field of view that is more appealing & natural to human eyes. With the super shallow depth of field at f/0.95, it easily creates a dreamy and romantic rendering. The lens consisting of 1 Aspherical Lens,1 ED glass, and 3 UHR glass offers remarkable sharpness while wide-open. It gets your subject to stand out from the background of creamy bokeh. Truly turns an ordinary image into an extraordinary one. Photographers can also benefit from the flexibility for shooting in low-light situations.
Laowa Argus 45mm f/0.95 FF Key Features:

Maximum aperture f/0.95
Close to Human Eyes Perspective
Outstanding Optical Performance at f/0.95
Aperture Ring Click Switch Mechanism
Internal Focusing
Low Focus Breathing...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
I would like this or the 35mm, I'd never spend the $4000+ for a Canon L version with AF.... that will never happen anyway.
Agree. Except, if Canon made a 35 f/1.2 or f/1, I'd probably contort myself into a rationalization for purchasing sometime in future. Benefit of kids going to college is overrated.

Since going mirrorless, the manual focus is much less of a liability. Focus peaking makes this pretty functional, although I have to say I haven't tried this with a lens with quite that big an aperture.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
They make a 33mm f/0.95 for crop cameras, as well as a 35mm f/0.95 for FF.

Yeah. But this could be a nice short portrait FL on crop, plus cropping might give a cleaner look with regard to vignetting/cat's-eye and potential corner CA – although I guess to many people those artifacts are part of the charm of an f/0.95.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yeah. But this could be a nice short portrait FL on crop, plus cropping might give a cleaner look with regard to vignetting/cat's-eye and potential corner CA – although I guess to many people those artifacts are part of the charm of an f/0.95.
What I particularly love about my Summilux M 1,4/75 is the rendering at f 1,4, thanks to the numerous aberrations, resulting in dreamy, almost "glowing" pictures.
And the fact that I gets tack-sharp from f 2,8.
It may sound silly, but I'd rather buy the EF 1,2/85 than the RF 1,2/85, even though I know, having tested it, that the RF is absolutely stunning.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Laowa seem to be promoting this as a portrait lens (references to "dreamy and romantic rendering").

Focusing manually at F0.95 might prove difficult unless the portraits are of statues...
... and the camera is on a tripod. Still possible with focus peaking and fast bursts, but the hit rate probably won't be super great. Great quality glass for a great price though.

Upvote 0