Venus Optics officially announces the Laowa RF 11mm f/4.5 FF RL

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Venus Optics has officially announced a new lens for the RF mount, the Laowa RF 11mm f/4.5 FF RL. This new lens is extremely compact measuring only 2.5″(6.3cm) long and weighs 8.9oz (254g). With only 5 aperture blades, you’re also able to create 10-point sunstars. This is Laowa’s 7th official release for the RF mount.
The Laowa RF 11mm f/4.5 FF RL retails for $699USD and is available now directly from Venus Optics and it will make its way to official dealers soon.
You can check out all of the available third-party lenses for the RF mount here.

Press Release
Anhui China, February 19 2021 – Venus Optics, the manufacturer specialized in making unique camera lenses, now offers more variants to 2 popular Laowa lenses. Added Canon RF mount for the Laowa 11mm f/4.5 FF RL lens (Full Frame) and Nikon Z mount for Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra-Macro APO...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I love how they are creativ and pushing the lines.
Im still waiting for the laowa RF 15mm f/4 1:1 macro lens.
I own the EF version but changed completely to the R system with my cameras.
I love the lens it makes so much fun to just shoot for fun, but of course also for serious work.
I'm curious why you wouldn't just spring for the EF->RF adapter to keep using the laowa 15mm lens?

I love the thing...I'm actually adapting it and using it on my Leica M10M.....

I find that one of the GREAT things I love most about mirrorless cameras, is being able to readily adapt such a huge number of lenses, both vintage and new, to the new mirrorless bodies.

I think that's one of the strengths of the mirrorless bodies out today....embrace it.
;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

magnum92

eos Ra, R5
Feb 19, 2021
I'm curious why you wouldn't just spring for the EF->RF adapter to keep using the laowa 15mm lens?

I love the thing...I'm actually adapting it and using it on my Leica M10M.....

I find that one of the GREAT things I love most about mirrorless cameras, is being able to readily adapt such a huge number of lenses, both vintage and new, to the new mirrorless bodies.

I think that's one of the strengths of the mirrorless bodies out today....embrace it.
;)
I use the adapter and use the lens alot as a allround for small hikes, versatile light combo for going out into the nature but also travel.

The almost dont care problem is the extra length but the big problem is I dont get the maximum 1:1 reproduction somehow.
I dint made exact test and comparisons but I guess I need to.
My feelings says I could get 1mm closer but still it is almost nothing and it just dont feel right anymore, after some years and alot of traveling I anyway would like to replace it for a native one now on the new system.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
If the numbers from their chart are 10L/mm and 30L/mm, then it’s almost useless. A chart with 10L/mm means almost nothing.
10 and 30 L/mm are the standard for all MTF charts and that one actually looks pretty good for an 11mm lens. Odds are it will be better on periphery when stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 as well. Hopefully Brian will test it at TDP and we can see what it looks like on a chart, but that may not be the whole story either since it might have some field curvature that could be used to advantage for better results than indicated on a flat chart. The small size makes it very interesting for field work.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
A very interesting new lens. My RF collection is still pending any move in the UWA segment, the RF 15-35 is not what I want, so I am using EF lenses while waiting for some new RF lenses to materialize. I like the quality of my EF 11-24L, it makes some unique pictures in so many ways but the bulk is something of a buzzkill for travel photography. Will the capabilities of the RF mount result in an RF 10-24 or RF 11-24 that is more compact? That is my hope, but if not the option of a relatively compact 11mm prime and then a 14-35 L IS or similar could be very tempting. I love my other UWA zoom, the EF 16-35 L IS, while it is of course more limited in range it is a pleasant size and weight more suited to a traveling camera bag.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I love how they are creativ and pushing the lines.
Im still waiting for the laowa RF 15mm f/4 1:1 macro lens.
I own the EF version but changed completely to the R system with my cameras.
I love the lens it makes so much fun to just shoot for fun, but of course also for serious work.
Me too. Love that little macro. I do use it quite a lot with an adapter. In fact, that's where I keep my adapter. Would eagerly purchase an RF version.

Now that we finally have full frame cameras with fully-articulated screens, I feel the Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro can really come into its own. Getting within 1 cm of a bug in a marsh isn't easy with a freaking 5d4. The flippy/tilty on the R5 and R6 brings whole new worlds into convenient range with that lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
10 and 30 L/mm are the standard for all MTF charts and that one actually looks pretty good for an 11mm lens. Odds are it will be better on periphery when stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 as well. Hopefully Brian will test it at TDP and we can see what it looks like on a chart, but that may not be the whole story either since it might have some field curvature that could be used to advantage for better results than indicated on a flat chart. The small size makes it very interesting for field work.
10 isn’t “standard”. Some companies use 20 and 40. Some use 30 and 60. 10 and 30 is really lowballing it.

Upvote 0
Generally a good vlogging lens just with 4k on an RP or on a C70. What about a harness which allows to focus this lens externally via an ultrasonic or optical distance meter and some standard video gear?
EDIT: 11mm @ f/4.5 shoud not be too critical with a focus system which is precise within 2cm ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
10 isn’t “standard”. Some companies use 20 and 40. Some use 30 and 60. 10 and 30 is really lowballing it.
The lowballing makes me wonder about sharpness, but its compatible with 100mm square filters, which I already own. I doubt the rumoured RF 10-15mm would be.

As I haven't upgraded to mirrorless yet, I'll be waiting for reviews.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
The lowballing makes me wonder about sharpness, but its compatible with 100mm square filters, which I already own. I doubt the rumoured RF 10-15mm would be.

As I haven't upgraded to mirrorless yet, I'll be waiting for reviews.
I expect low priced lenses like these to have decent quality, but not “great” quality. Every so often an inexpensive lens from a third tier maker such as this one lucks out, and performs above its weight. Truth is that it’s more luck than anything else.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I see Olympus uses 20 and 60, but they are using lines/mm as opposed to line pairs/mm, so that is still 10 and 30 line pairs/mm. Please advise who is using 20 and 40 or 30 and 60 line pairs/mm.

Upvote 0