Vintage & Classic & Aged Object

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
These were mostly taken with a Bronica ETRSI Medium Format camera with a 75mm F2.8 and 40mm F4 and scanned using Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 ED. I also shot a couple with my 40D and 17-85mm. These were part of my Final year fine art photography uni project on inanimate objects in 2009.

The subjects are based on my family business which is the oldest established business in the UK 1742, a drapers. The building has no deeds so is very old and was once owned by the cookson family who were the grandparents of the famous lake district poet William Wordsworth.

It is so old that apparently when Bonnie Prince Charlie was marching down to London to fight with his army they took over the town and held my great x7 grandfather at gunpoint for a pair of Long Johns ;D

The series compromised of about 5,000 frames.

The shop has evolved in many ways throughout the centuries but used to not only have quarters for the in house workers but also was a small factory where hand made garments were made for the local gentry. There are many remnants of peoples lives that were left behind, be that the wallpaper, graffiti, pictures, clothes or just old shop fittings. Although the environment around them has degraded the objects themselves are still the same as when they were left in an ethereal time warp and tells a story of a bygone era.

I got a first and won Illford photographer of the year 2009 for the series.

Although now I look back after being a professional for such a long time there are plenty of issues with the images. Fine art photography isn't about the final image being perfect its about the story, what the image represents and the perception of the viewer. There was a 11000 word dissertation that went along with it :eek:

Mannequin, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Calculator, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Graffiti banister, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Maid Room, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Sowing machine, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Window Logo, N Arnisons & Son, Remnants by Tom Scott, on Flickr

You can see a few more from the series here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDy1ohi

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2014
27215596824_d96cd8ba42_c.jpg

Upvote 0
Rosary beads, 1887, family heirloom: I believe these belonged to my great-grandfather in Scotland and were acquired during a pilgrimage to Lourdes. The beads are made of sandalwood and still give off a bit of scent. It makes the past alive in a sort of olfactory way.

Attachments

• _MG_2911_DxO.jpg
    _MG_2911_DxO.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 224
  • _MG_2914_DxO.jpg
    _MG_2914_DxO.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
P

Pookie

dpc said:
Rosary beads, 1887, family heirloom: I believe these belonged to my great-grandfather in Scotland and were acquired during a pilgrimage to Lourdes. The beads are made of sandalwood and still give off a bit of scent. It makes the past alive in a sort of olfactory way.

Nice, I love the history...

Dylan777 said:
Not really vintage, however, it feels like one when it in my hands ;)

Nice... I think you need Leica though ;)

My original bought in the 80's...

Some of my money makers... all considered "vintage" (except the 80 and 70-200)

Upvote 0
Pookie said:
dpc said:

Nice, I love the history...

Thanks! :)

Dylan777 said:
Not really vintage, however, it feels like one when it in my hands ;)

Nice... I think you need Leica though ;)

My original bought in the 80's...

Some of my money makers... all considered "vintage" (except the 80 and 70-200)

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

Dylan777 said:
@ Pookie - It's beautiful camera :) If Leica has AF system in their digital range style, I would be interested.

@ dpc - would be wonderful if Canon has something like that in FF mirrorless ;)

Range finder and AF... :eek: HCB just did somersaults in his grave with that comment. They are either a rangefinder or they are not. "Digital range style" is like saying "sort of pregnant" or "partial zero emission vehicle".

Upvote 0