Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
privatebydesign said:
Amazing to think the arms race that brought us the Canon EF 1200 5.6L and the Nikon 1200-1700 5.6-8 was driven by high school baseball! Specifically at the Koshien Stadium.

http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/recollections/r16_e/index.htm
Interesting article ... thanks for sharing. It's funny how Nikon does not use the name "Canon" (as their competitor) in that article ... it merely says "rival company":
"In 1980s, a rival company was making a 1200mm f/5.6 super telephoto lens. The newspapers were beginning to switch over to cameras made by this company in order to use the lens in their coverage of baseball at Koshien Stadium." :)

Upvote 0
(to Halfrack)

Please do not project your own fantasies on my text, and do not shout.
Why did I say 'Shooting the pope does not solve anything'?
I think the title 'Shooting the Pope with [..]' is unlucky, not to say tasteless.
If you are not too young, you may remember that in 1981 the then Pope, John Paul, was indeed shot in Rome by a Turkish gentleman. This makes 'Shooting the Pope' different from, say, "Shooting the Rocky Mountains' to which I would raise no objection.
We are all human. That impies that we have the ability to think, and to form our own opinions. It is our birthright to do so. We do not have the right to deny others the same rights. This implies that we do not have the right to kill anybody just because he/she is of a different opinion.
I therefore feel in this case 'Photographing' or 'Taking a picture of' would be better than 'Shooting'.
Hope I made myself clear this time.
Kind regards,

RobPan.

NB
Religion has little to do with it. The present Pope is in some respects a conservative, but his conservative views are contested by many a Catholic and cheered by many unbelievers. I do not quite understand why you mentioned your (lack of) religion.
Sorry if this posting is a bit OT.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
RobPan said:
I think the title 'Shooting the Pope with [..]' is unlucky, not to say tasteless.
If I had left the subject title at "Waiting to Shooting the New Pope", yes it would have been tasteless.
But that is not what I did, the subject title is and always has been "Waiting to Shoot the New Pope with Nikkor 1200-1700mm lens" ... anyone who knows what a "Nikkor lens" is, knows full well what I was talking about ... unless of course the person is utterly ignorant, in which case he wouldn't be hanging around in a camera/lens related forum like CR ... besides my intention was never to sensationalize or make it cheap ... so there is no question of it being "tasteless".
RobPan said:
you may remember that in 1981 the then Pope, John Paul, was indeed shot in Rome by a Turkish gentleman.
This makes 'Shooting the Pope' different from, say, "Shooting the Rocky Mountains' to which I would raise no objection.
The word "shooting" is used routinely by many photographers to describe the process of making an image, just because Pope John Paul II was shot does not make the subject title "unlucky" OR "objectionable" OR "tasteless".
However, what can easily be misinterpreted is when someone leaves a one line comment like "Shooting the pope will not solve anything." ::)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

Attachments

• New Pope by Dylan Martinez 1.JPG
    New Pope by Dylan Martinez 1.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,959
  • New Pope by Dylan Martinez 2.JPG
    New Pope by Dylan Martinez 2.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,642
Upvote 0
If I had left the subject title at "Waiting to Shooting the New Pope", yes it would have been tasteless.
But that is not what I did, the subject title is and always has been "Waiting to Shoot the New Pope with Nikkor 1200-1700mm lens" ...

I get your point, but for me the primary meaning of "shooting" still crops up, perhaps because English is only my second language. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
RobPan said:
But that is not what I did, the subject title is and always has been "Waiting to Shoot the New Pope with Nikkor 1200-1700mm lens" ...

I get your point, but for me the primary meaning of "shooting" still crops up, perhaps because English is only my second language. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Understood ... No issues ... peace. :)

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
I found two photos made by Dylan Martinez (the photographer who was waiting with the Nikkor 1200-1700mm lens) at:
Although I cannot read the exif data on these images, looks like both the images are made with Nikkor 1200-1700mm lens.

If these are really the photos from that lens...i must say, the lens isn't very good..the images look dark, blur and soft

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
spinworkxroy said:
Rienzphotoz said:
I found two photos made by Dylan Martinez (the photographer who was waiting with the Nikkor 1200-1700mm lens) at:
Although I cannot read the exif data on these images, looks like both the images are made with Nikkor 1200-1700mm lens.

If these are really the photos from that lens...i must say, the lens isn't very good..the images look dark, blur and soft
I agree

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
privatebydesign said:
Atmospheric distortions normally kill any sharpness and contrast from such long distance shots.

That is the difference between measurbators, enthusiasts, pros and picture editors. When picture editors need an image the pros get the best they can, in this instance the distance severely limits expectations.

This is an interesting article on using the same lens to take pictures of the French President on Bastille Day, http://blogs.reuters.com/blog/archives/8068

In the third image of the article the white lens to picture right is the 1200 f5.6 Canon.
Interesting article, thanks for sharing ... but I couldn't help notice this pic (4th in the blog) of a heavy lens on a seemingly weak tripod that too with the center column extended, kinda odd.

Attachments

• Is that a weak tripod.jpg
    Is that a weak tripod.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,948
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.