We’ve returned to the 26.2mp sensor in the EOS RP

Jul 12, 2014
I own so much Canon gear but IMHO Canon is too slow and conservative. Where is the promised firmware update for all of us that bought the EOS R? Maybe it will increase the frame rate, provide eye-focus in servo (or maybe eye focus that actually works), fix the silly touch bar or maybe do something "bold" like add an intervalometer. I just watched a presentation of Sony's new firmware update (free) for the A9 and A7lll and it is super impressive. Come on Canon, patience is thin.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
At the price points being discussed, what else would we really expect from Canon?

LP-E17? This is a M/Rebel battery. This will be a relatively inexpensive basic camera body. I am expecting a lot of plastic and the 6DII sensor. But at a low price point.
Sony significantly increased their battery life, increased their weather proofing, has extended their lens line, and has industry leading sensor performance. Looked like they were dropping the price to $1799, so, if Canon's coming in at $1599, theyre a solid 2 steps behind. At $1299, their choices would make a lot more sense.

They'll also have to release a lot more lenses in the <$1000 for it to make sense too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I’m not misrepresenting anything. If you want to make that argument, I’ll make the claim, you’re not seeing the relevant scenario. Two years is plenty of time to either improve the current sensor, design a new sensor, or even purchase a 3rd party sensor. Canon says it’s mirrorless sales are only going to cannibalize their own DSLR sales. You know why? Because no one in their right mind starting from scratch would buy the RP if it has the 6DII sensor. Same reason why no one in the same boat would take 6DII over the A7R. You want new customers? Make a product worth investing in. It’s not the pre-digital age anymore where you can limp in with a lame body. It’s not just about lenses anymore. The market isn’t growing so every company has to fight over the same pie to get a bigger slice. If the company wants to garner new customers, they need a new product. Rehashing two year old sensors isn’t the way. So yes, two years is old.

How many screen names do you have? My reply was not to one of your posts under this name.

it was pekr who claimed the sensor of the 6D II is "8 years old." Then he stepped back to "7 years."

I pointed out that the sensor is TWO years old. I'd say this is a "fact," not an argument. Somebody claiming the sensor is 5 years older than that is misrepresenting the age. Wrong. In error. Making false claims.

I don't believe in crystal balls, especially the one you are using to predict what people in their right minds will buy or not buy.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Sony significantly increased their battery life, increased their weather proofing, has extended their lens line, and has industry leading sensor performance. Looked like they were dropping the price to $1799, so, if Canon's coming in at $1599, theyre a solid 2 steps behind. At $1299, their choices would make a lot more sense.

They'll also have to release a lot more lenses in the <$1000 for it to make sense too.
First off, I agree with the lenses. Canon seems to be releasing an entry and mid-level bodies and then mid to high end lenses. We are seeing a non-L RF 24-240, and the RF 35 macro often gets overlooked. But I expect Canon to remedy that sometime this year or early next year.

Staying on the lenses for a second, but comparing Canon to Sony, people often get all excited about $100-$200 price difference between bodies and casually ignore the fact that Sony's lenses are often $500-$700 more expensive per lens, just look at the holy trinity comparing GM to L.

As for the these "two steps," it all depends what you want. I've played with a number of Sony's offerings, disliked a number of things about them. As far as I am concerned, Sony, while offering good cameras, has not yet caught up to Canon. This isn't meant as a slight to Sony, just saying, different people care about different things. If I want better sensor IQ than my current 5DIV, I would actually look at the Fuji 50R, not Sony. For really pretty comparable IQ, I'll take Canon's record, quality control, service, menu system, ergonomics, file size, etc, etc. But, again, not faulting anyone for liking Sony, they are offering a good product.

Upvote 0

YnR

Dec 19, 2018
How many screen names do you have? My reply was not to one of your posts under this name.

it was pekr who claimed the sensor of the 6D II is "8 years old." Then he stepped back to "7 years."

I pointed out that the sensor is TWO years old. I'd say this is a "fact," not an argument. Somebody claiming the sensor is 5 years older than that is misrepresenting the age. Wrong. In error. Making false claims.

I don't believe in crystal balls, especially the one you are using to predict what people in their right minds will buy or not buy.

I’m lost. I’ve only got this one SN. I will admit that I erroneously responded to your comment, so I apologize for that. I do think Canon is making the wrong choice in putting the 6D2 sensor in the RP, if that’s the case. Of course none of us have a crystal ball but who’s going to shell out $1500 for a re-release? The RP only offers a new mount over the 6DII. Any buyer who does any level of research is going to notice the stagnation that many of us Canon users are moaning about. If you were in that position, would you buy a RP? Want more market share? Then you have to entice new customers. No crystal ball needed.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Staying on the lenses for a second, but comparing Canon to Sony, people often get all excited about $100-$200 price difference between bodies and casually ignore the fact that Sony's lenses are often $500-$700 more expensive per lens, just look at the holy trinity comparing GM to L.
For sure. But I can also get the Sigma line, the Tamron 28-75, and a number of other 3rd party options right now. As someone who had an a7R and basically only adapted lenses, it was annoying. Canon's got a better setup for that with EF->RF, but, nobody's gonna move to Canon and buy EF lenses right now. And how long will it take for Sigma to make RF lenses (especially when they're already invested in FE and L-Mount)? It took a good 3 years for Sony to even come close to something resembling a serviceable lens line.

As far as I am concerned, Sony, while offering good cameras, has not yet caught up to Canon.
Where the camera world is now, overall, I'll agree. Where its going in 5 years...I'm less sure Canon's going the right way. They let themselves fall behind when Sony started the A7, and aside from pushing the RF lens line, its not feeling like they're in a hurry to catch up.

People who are bought into Canon are waiting around for them...people just getting into full-frame cameras that arent invested in a lens line...who of them would say "Get me an EOS-R" right now?

Upvote 0
Where the camera world is now, overall, I'll agree. Where its going in 5 years...I'm less sure Canon's going the right way. They let themselves fall behind when Sony started the A7, and aside from pushing the RF lens line, its not feeling like they're in a hurry to catch up.

This is a classic problem for all incumbents, not just Canon. When a new technology comes along, the incumbent has a tough choice to make; sacrifice it's current line to compete against the newcomer with new technology products? It's a well known business problem that's got it's own name - disruptive technology.

Personally, I think that Canon has done very well in reacting to the competition. It built up the M line and is now very quickly building out the R line of cameras and lenses. A sure sign of a well managed company. We probably will see the R camera line quite well placed in 2 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
We have a 6D and a 6D2 at work. Nobody has touched the 6D since we got the 6D2, except when the 6D2 was already in use. That should tell you something about the relative merits.

How many of you people criticizing the sensor have either one of the cameras?

Canon cameras suck in the spec sheet, but excel in the field.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
This just explains how Canon can release this body for the price being rumoured, including the latest DIGIC chip. As a trade-up for APS-C shooters, there is going to be a clear bump in IQ (maybe excluding base ISO depending on what test you look at), and that is the target market. It'll be lighter than the EOS R, and much lighter than FF DSLRs, but bigger and easier to handle than the EOS M range (which will still be there if people want even smaller and cheaper versions). Absolutely logical market move, and it will sell by the pallet.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I just hope its a new sensor and not 6D mk2 sensor or else the reviews are going to be terrible to say the least.

If you care about the reviews, yes they will be terrible. If you care about the photos, they will look great, just as the 6D photos looked great - and based on the comments from actual 6D II users - they will look even better than the 6D.

Upvote 0
The benefit of this camera is the size. It was a critical mirrorless market, and Canon has done quite remarkably well with it. It is about 10 percent wider than the SL-2, 10 percent shorter, and about 10 percent heavier than that older crop form factor. And that SL line is awesome for certain applications. I own two of them that I use to plant in various places as remotes, often out in the woods on infra red triggers. (Aside from the tilty flippy screen, the SL1 is pretty much as good as the SL2, being one of the "lateralgrades" Canon has done in the past couple of years.)

The sensor they put in it is a whole lot better than the crop one in the SLR. And, yes, the 6D2 did not push the performance envelope much at all past the then-ancient 6D1. And, yes, the 6D1 selling proposition of a 5-series-class sensor in a cheap body was pretty much shot with the 6D2. And yes, Canon will take that 6D2 sensor and - in writing - claim it is "all new" several times over, which will be as true as it was back when we recycled 18mp sensors for a generation. But none of that signifies, because the RP is all about the size. If you don't need it, you don't need it.

As soon as Canon releases a >40mp camera with >7 fps in servo, I'll buy that, and pick up one of these used (unfortunately, I think there will be time to build a used market).

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
You should try actually using a 6DII. No way I’d change mine for any of the cameras you mentioned, especially for low light photography.
Well said. I have to agree and wonder how many neg commenters have actually ever used a 6DII. It's like Tony Northrup said not too long ago. The naysayers bash the specs but the camera just works in real life use.

Upvote 0