Weird color banding in my R6 photos (both JPEG and RAW)?

Apr 23, 2020
I tried to take some out-of-focus photos yesterday with my new R6 and RF 24-105 mm f/4. When I uploaded the RAWs to my computer via Capture One, I noticed that the darker areas in the corner looked strange. It appears to be some color banding. I tried both Capture One, Lightroom and Photoshop, as well as looked at the JPEG directly, but all of them looks like this.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

Attachments

• banding.png
    banding.png
    2 MB · Views: 330

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
I tried to take some out-of-focus photos yesterday with my new R6 and RF 24-105 mm f/4. When I uploaded the RAWs to my computer via Capture One, I noticed that the darker areas in the corner looked strange. It appears to be some color banding. I tried both Capture One, Lightroom and Photoshop, as well as looked at the JPEG directly, but all of them looks like this.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

blury grass.png

it seems normal. i think its just out of focus effect on grass.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2020
Nevermind. I figured out what the problem was. A few days before I got the R6, I borrowed a monitor calibrator. For some reason, it made my photos get the color-banding effect, as if there wasn't enough colors to represent my photos (I assume it had something to do with bit depth). It wasn't the camera itself - I just hadn't taken/looked at any photos after I calibrated the monitor. I reset all the monitor settings and now the photos look fine.

Upvote 0
Nevermind. I figured out what the problem was. A few days before I got the R6, I borrowed a monitor calibrator. For some reason, it made my photos get the color-banding effect, as if there wasn't enough colors to represent my photos (I assume it had something to do with bit depth). It wasn't the camera itself - I just hadn't taken/looked at any photos after I calibrated the monitor. I reset all the monitor settings and now the photos look fine.
Had the same problem. Helps a lot if you calibrate your monitor next time to it's native white balance.

Upvote 0
Yes, this is because of the bit depth. If you want best results use a monitor like EIZO that is able to be calibrated through hardware with 10bit look up tables. Perfect results with no banding with those monitors.

Upvote 0