What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Now that we’ve seen the big first-quarter announcements from Canon in the EOS-1D X Mark III and the development of the EOS R5, RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM, extenders as well as the vertical video shooting EOS Rebel T8i. We always want to know what’s coming next.
I’ll break down what we know at this time, you can consider this information between [CR2] and [CR3].
Canon EOS R6
We expect this camera to be announced in May, with a June shipping date. The announcement and ship date aren’t yet confirmed, but that’s what we have been told.
Canon EOS R6 Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)
June 2020 launch (We think a May announcement)

Canon EOS R5s //  Canon EOS R3
We have been told that the high-megapixel EOS R camera will launch in Q4 of 2020. We have no specifications for the camera at this time. We also don’t know if it’ll be called the EOS R5s or...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I don't see Canon having to rush to make a slew of native RF Great Whites. Maybe you get out a couple with the R1X next year. I think the 200-400 L zoom is a good candidate considering how much smaller they managed to make the 70-200 RF body. Otherwise, and extra inch or two from the EF/RF adapter doesn't make much difference on lenses that size anyway, and I dont see many Pros complaining about that for the time being.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I don't see Canon having to rush to make a slew of native RF Great Whites. Maybe you get out a couple with the R1X next year. I think the 200-400 L zoom is a good candidate considering how much smaller they managed to make the 70-200 RF body. Otherwise, and extra inch or two from the EF/RF adapter doesn't make much difference on lenses that size anyway, and I dont see many Pros complaining about that for the time being.
Maybe 300mm f2.8 might be announced sooner rather than later. It seems to be quite a good seller in big white along with 500mm f4 .

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
No EF 500/4 Mark III and no EF 300/2.8 Mark III, then the R5 announcement, hmmm. I wouldn't be surprised if the next 500/4L is RF mount, and maybe DO. And quite possibly the same price as the EF 600 III :(

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Maybe 300mm f2.8 might be announced sooner rather than later. It seems to be quite a good seller in big white along with 500mm f4 .
Not saying they "Wont" just saying there doesn't seem to be a need to rush. The RF line penetration at this stage is still in its infancy. Those big old suckers usually get stuck on things like the R5 level of cameras or more particularly the R1x types. I just think we wont see too much in that department until that R1X gets it's full blown, official announcement.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Well damn, looks like I will have to buy the R5 as a future backup to the R3, as I refuse to lose another year waiting until Q4, after waiting a year already. Canon is going to get my money either way, but I would rather put it towards an RF 500 f/4, instead of a second body. Optionally I could start with an RP or R, or spend that money on a grey market 5DS.

How does the 5DS AF compare to the R AF?

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

The sleeping giant has awakened.
Watch out as this looks to be pretty exciting for Canon users.
It now makes sense why things looked slow or non existent for "Innovation" by Canon these last few years.
They were ramping up the R mount, exploring and getting ready to do it right rather than first.
Even the 1DX MII shows a huge leap forward in comparison the a small evolution of the Nikon D6 and for that matter the Sony a9II which was no real difference from the a9 except for marketing to those who must have the newest iphone crowd.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The EF 300mm is a lovely balance between quality and weight. It would be a good one for RF. I’d assume they have a plan for 300/400/500/600 and eventually 800mm.
I’ve the 300 2.8II and 600 F4 II and could not see myself rebuying them for an R.
Thank god for the adapter. The 600 is great but heavy and awkward to move around. The 300mm is a gem.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

The short flange advantage is lost mostly on telephotos, it is for WA lenses more.

Upvote 0