What’s next from Canon in 2020?

BadHorse

Thoroughbred of Sin
Mar 31, 2019
The R5 (or R6) are exciting but I can't see myself switching from EF until there's more practical primes available. I lust after the RF 50mm and 85mm F/1.2 but know that the novelty would wear off quickly as my arms got tired of the weight. A set of nice F/1.4 primes would make it a lot easier to rationalize switching.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don’t believe the R6 rumors at all. Why would they get everyone all hyped up for the R5 and then announce and release an inferior camera a month before it? Also, if we are supposed to believe this is a mirrorless 6D, why would they go from 26 megapixels back to 20? Besides, Canon only mentioned the R5 and seven new lenses for 2020, no mention of any other cameras. None of it makes any sense. Not happening. I also don’t believe we will be seeing a pancake lens or affordable primes. Canon has shown they are only interested in big expensive lenses aside from a couple scraps they threw to potential RP owners. This site said a pancake lens and slower primes would be out by early 2020, it’s mid February and Canon has said nothing about them. Not happening.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The camera sensor is 4 x 3 so it means that the pixel resolution would have to be
7680 x 5760 (44,236,800) or 45MP

The sensor aspect ratio is 3:2, actually. There are two possibilities: if the R5 only records "UHD" 8K (7680x4320), then roughly 40MP is sufficient. On the other hand, if it shoots "DCI" 8K (8192x4320), then 45MP is needed. Of course, the resolution could be even larger, those are just lower bounds. It's not very likely though.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
We have also been told that Canon will announce at least one DO super-telephoto prime lens for the RF mount. There is a possibility of two being announced. Expect slower aperture lenses, since Canon already has the amazing big white lenses that are easily adapted to the RF mount.
The wording here is interesting. It suggests that we shouldn't expect fast aperture big whites for RF any time soon.

It begs the question, should we expect this at all, or will Canon rely on the (very good performing) EF-RF adapter to allow people to use big whites on any future RF camera? It does kinda make sense to not shut out people using DSLRs from using new big whites, as the 1DX MkIII just came out, and I think it's been said in the past that telephotos have little to gain from the shorter RF flange distance.

I guess at least it wouldn't be hard or cost a lot of development money to take a big white design intended for EF, just make it a little longer in the rear, and release a native RF version as well.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
The R5 (or R6) are exciting but I can't see myself switching from EF until there's more practical primes available. I lust after the RF 50mm and 85mm F/1.2 but know that the novelty would wear off quickly as my arms got tired of the weight. A set of nice F/1.4 primes would make it a lot easier to rationalize switching.
One of the best things canon did for us in this new mount is make a $100US adapter available for EF lenses. There is no 'switching'. Just buy a new body and use your same glass. If new and better RF designs come out over the years, you can certainly switch your glass out in the future.

This is the upgrade path I'm looking at. Get and R6 or its equivalent when it arrives on the market, and keep my glass. Maybe add a few RF zooms as they become available and reduce in price.

-Brian

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I don’t believe the R6 rumors at all. Why would they get everyone all hyped up for the R5 and then announce and release an inferior camera a month before it? Also, if we are supposed to believe this is a mirrorless 6D, why would they go from 26 megapixels back to 20? Besides, Canon only mentioned the R5 and seven new lenses for 2020, no mention of any other cameras. None of it makes any sense. Not happening. I also don’t believe we will be seeing a pancake lens or affordable primes. Canon has shown they are only interested in big expensive lenses aside from a couple scraps they threw to potential RP owners. This site said a pancake lens and slower primes would be out by early 2020, it’s mid February and Canon has said nothing about them. Not happening.
Do some searching in the forums and blogs, it's not inferior but a very different tool (at least what we believe it to be) This isn't a 5D to 6D type scenario.These new bodies, it's like comparing a wrench and a screwdriver, not a paper cup vs bone china. I wouldn't be so fast to lump the R6 in with the RP

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
FWIW, Jared Polin said in a video published yesterday that he believes the 100-500 will come in around $2K. I'm tempted to agree, and I also can't see myself buying it if it hits around $3K.
The lens costs at least as much to produce as the RF 70-200/2.8 IS USM (probably more since it is a bit bigger and heavier), so really unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The wording here is interesting. It suggests that we shouldn't expect fast aperture big whites for RF any time soon.

It begs the question, should we expect this at all, or will Canon rely on the (very good performing) EF-RF adapter to allow people to use big whites on any future RF camera? It does kinda make sense to not shut out people using DSLRs from using new big whites, as the 1DX MkIII just came out, and I think it's been said in the past that telephotos have little to gain from the shorter RF flange distance.

I guess at least it wouldn't be hard or cost a lot of development money to take a big white design intended for EF, just make it a little longer in the rear, and release a native RF version as well.

I think that without a 1-series RF camera, Canon sees little reason to push out large aperture, RF-mount big whites. I think that when a 1-series RF camera debuts, so also will RF big whites, since sports and press folks tend to use them and as of yet, don't have an RF camera suitable to their needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

BadHorse

Thoroughbred of Sin
Mar 31, 2019
One of the best things canon did for us in this new mount is make a $100US adapter available for EF lenses. There is no 'switching'. Just buy a new body and use your same glass. If new and better RF designs come out over the years, you can certainly switch your glass out in the future.
Part of my obsession is that some of the EF glass is pretty old: do I spend $100 to use a $350 EF 50mm F/1.4 that was released in 1993? The 1.2 was released in 2006 -- I don't have one and I've resisted temptation because I was hoping something with faster AF would emerge for RF.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I'm keen to know if the R6 will have one or two card slots. If it is supposed to be "inferior" to the R5, which the official announcement has said will have two card slots, , in addition to the fewer magapixels will they also reduce the card slots to one on the R6?

If it's going to be a "6D" class body then yes, almost certainly. If it's going to be a smaller, RP-style body, there's likely not even room for a second slot.

Upvote 0