What’s next from Canon in 2020?

For me, the next paragraph is more interesting, containing, as it does, this statement about the EOS R5:

"Including high-speed, high-resolution, 8K video..."

That seems to knock on the head those speculations that the 8K video will be some "crippled" effort, such as a timelapse mode. I don't understand the "high-resolution" description in connection to 8K video though, as if you could have low-resolution, mid-resolution and high-resolution versions of it.

By high resolution it could mean they're outputting 1:1 without resampling or other algorithms in play to reduce image quality, or it could simply mean it's high resolution, as in, better than 4K. Anyone's guess at this point.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It is completely ridiculous to complain about wanting a 50mm prime better than the EF 50mm 1.2, and then also complain that the RF 50mm 1.2 is too big/expensive.

Contrary to what most people on this forum like to think, the EF 50mm 1.2 is a pretty good lens. I'm sorry but the narrative of it being a piece of junk just isn't true. It does have its flaws, but it is still a very good lens, regardless of when it was released.

It's not possible for Canon to make a lens that significantly exceeds the performance of the EF 50mm 1.2 that is not both large and expensive.

And while we're on the topic of cost, the EF 50mm 1.2 cost $1600 when it came out, which adjusted for inflation is, you guessed it, just shy of $2000 in today's dollars.

Everyone complaining that Canon didn't make the successor to the EF 50mm 1.2 that they wanted simply doesn't want to foot the bill or carry around the weight of the lens that they did make as a successor to it. And that's really not a problem anyone can solve. You can't ask for a lens that's a lot better than an already good lens and then not accept the fact that that lens is big and expensive. (And again, really not much more expensive than its predecessor was when it was first released.)
I'm not sure ANYONE has ever said it's junk. It has quirks and is best used by patient shooters in the right circumstances but it is praised and uniquely positioned in the pantheon of fast glass. I think the more relevant question is why didn't they make a successor for the 50 1.4? Continue the 24/28/35 IS line at under $699 in a double gauss would have made perfect sense. However now with the RF line, who knows what type of 50's we shall see. No doubt there will be a nifty RF Fifty, those always sell like hotcakes, but not pancakes.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

BadHorse

Thoroughbred of Sin
Mar 31, 2019
It is completely ridiculous to complain about wanting a 50mm prime better than the EF 50mm 1.2, and then also complain that the RF 50mm 1.2 is too big/expensive.
Actually I'm more interested in a 50mm F/1.4 -- I think it's safe to say there's been technological advances in the last 27 years that leave room for improvement on the current EF F/1.4.

Sigma released one 6 years ago that weighs 800g and goes for under a grand -- this is what I'm hoping for in an RF mount.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I don’t believe the R6 rumors at all. Why would they get everyone all hyped up for the R5 and then announce and release an inferior camera a month before it? Also, if we are supposed to believe this is a mirrorless 6D, why would they go from 26 megapixels back to 20? Besides, Canon only mentioned the R5 and seven new lenses for 2020, no mention of any other cameras. None of it makes any sense. Not happening. I also don’t believe we will be seeing a pancake lens or affordable primes. Canon has shown they are only interested in big expensive lenses aside from a couple scraps they threw to potential RP owners. This site said a pancake lens and slower primes would be out by early 2020, it’s mid February and Canon has said nothing about them. Not happening.
You're right. CR just made it all up for clickbait. Just like they made up the R5 and got all of that completely wrong. Oh... wait...

And no one said the R6 is getting released before the R5. All signs right now point to a near simultaneous release date following a May 2020 announcement.

And who said it's "inferior"? The R5 will be a $3500 camera. The R6 looks like it will be a lot cheaper. No one said it's direct successor to the 6D. That's an assumption. The difference between 20-26MP isn't all that much, and 20MP is a lot more suited to 4K video work than 26MP. It's just a different camera for a different use or a less expensive camera for a different price point audience.

You seem to think nothing that has been reported here is real in the least, so why bother visiting the site anyway? Save some time and check out Sony Alpha Rumors. They are always right in their predictions......

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I'm guessing that 45MP has to be correct.
8K has been confirmed so from here the math is simple:
8K is 7680 x 4320 (33,177,600) or 34MP
However, that's16:9
The camera sensor is 4 x 3 so it means that the pixel resolution would have to be
7680 x 5760 (44,236,800) or 45MP
The camera sensor isn’t 4:3, it’s 3:2.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I recall you mentioned this before, but I am confused why Canon made the RF extenders white instead of satin to match both the body and lens end of the RF mount. Now it goes grey - white - grey - white for RF whites :(

I’m not sure they put much priority into resolving how a TC would look on an RF application. In a way the only sensible approach is all satin metallic but that adds its own weirdness.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
While the R5 is certainly going to be in the kit one day...... still want a genuine 7D mk II replacement. That kinda sucks such a great camera line will cease.
I think we will eventually see an RF body with an APS-C (think R7) to replace the 7D line. What's unique about the 7D is that it's a crop body widely used by pros as compliments to other FF bodies like the 5D and 1DX lines to get extra reach on telephotos. I think we will see more than that one similar to Rebels now, but I think the 7D gets an RF replacement first

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I'm not sure ANYONE has ever said it's junk. It has quirks and is best used by patient shooters in the right circumstances but it is praised and uniquely positioned in the pantheon of fast glass. I think the more relevant question is why didn't they make a successor for the 50 1.4? Continue the 24/28/35 IS line at under $699 in a double gauss would have made perfect sense. However now with the RF line, who knows what type of 50's we shall see. No doubt there will be a nifty RF Fifty, those always sell like hotcakes, but not pancakes.

Not that they are the leader but Nikon offers an outstanding L-quality Z mount 50 f1.8 weighing 412g for $599. That sets a good bracket for the 50mm. Room between that and the $2k f1.2 for a reasonably sized 1.4 for $1000-1200 or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
There still seems to be some confusion over where the R6 will fit in the R lineup. I have read on other internet sources that it will sit below the RP? This does not seem accurate to me because an R6 will have a new sensor and IBIS for starters. It would be great if we could get some clarification on this?
Not gonna know anything solid for probably another couple months. But no, I dont think anyone is thinking this is a sub-RP model. Probably $1200 - $1500

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Maybe 300mm f2.8 might be announced sooner rather than later. It seems to be quite a good seller in big white along with 500mm f4 .

The 200-400 f4, 300 f2.8 II & 500 f4 II did not get the updates and weight loss program of the EF 400 f2.8 III and EF 600 f4 III. Since they were not upgraded as EF lenses, I think it likely they will be refreshed on the RF platform. While I would like a much lighter/smaller 200-400 f4 w/ 1.4x TC, this is more of a niche lens and will probably be the last one updated or replaced with a similar option. Basically, I agree the 300 & 500 are probably going to be the first big whites related with the RF mount. Since the EF lenses adapt so well to the R, I don't think Canon is going to be in a hurry and may deliver other, unique lenses in the telephoto range.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Seems odd at this stage that we know the sensor size in MegaPixels of the R6 and not the R5
We really don't know either. We have rumored data. And often before, Canon has tested multiple sensor builds in a camera to see what they want the final product to be. 8K, like 4K, has more than one format, although they are relatively close. So the sensor could be 40MP - 45MP depending on the 8K Canon wants. Like you said, the difference between 40 and 45MP is almost undetectable. But shaving off 5MP might free up just enough CPU power to do something else, elsewhere in the camera, while still getting a legitimate 8K format. I dunno, thats a bit beyond my scope, but seems logical.

I think it's certainly SAFER to assume the specs of 20MP on the R6 as the sensor seems to be the same as a sensor they JUST made. The R5 sensor is totally new, so Canon has more wiggle room to play with it before it gets announced. If they had finalized the exact dimensions, they probably would have had it in the development announcement

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Actually I'm more interested in a 50mm F/1.4 -- I think it's safe to say there's been technological advances in the last 27 years that leave room for improvement on the current EF F/1.4.

Sigma released one 6 years ago that weighs 800g and goes for under a grand -- this is what I'm hoping for in an RF mount.
The reason for the demise of the 50mm 1.4, or any mid-priced prime like that, is the fact that the photography landscape has changed dramatically since the 50mm 1.4 came out in 1993.

We were still a decade away from cell phones that had awful cameras on them when the 50mm 1.4 came out. Today, a modern cell phone camera can do a whole lot of what a DSLR equipped with a mid-range prime lens can do.

Cameras were popular in 1993, because well, if you wanted to take a photo, buying a camera was pretty much your only choice. Today, the standalone camera market is collapsing, and the market is just too small to have any meaningful number of customers willing to buy a lens that falls between all of the existing low cost 50mm EF options and a high end professional 50mm RF f1.2.

I mean, ultimately we are talking about kind of a specialty lens here. Modern high ISO sensor performance and very good performing zooms have left most primes to be in a pretty niche market to begin with.

Upvote 0
You're right. CR just made it all up for clickbait. Just like they made up the R5 and got all of that completely wrong. Oh... wait...

And no one said the R6 is getting released before the R5. All signs right now point to a near simultaneous release date following a May 2020 announcement.

And who said it's "inferior"? The R5 will be a $3500 camera. The R6 looks like it will be a lot cheaper. No one said it's direct successor to the 6D. That's an assumption. The difference between 20-26MP isn't all that much, and 20MP is a lot more suited to 4K video work than 26MP. It's just a different camera for a different use or a less expensive camera for a different price point audience.

You seem to think nothing that has been reported here is real in the least, so why bother visiting the site anyway? Save some time and check out Sony Alpha Rumors. They are always right in their predictions......

you’re dreaming if you think the R5 is going to be $3500. Just like their overpriced RF lenses, Canon is going to charge a huge premium for being the only one with features their competition does not have. $5k for the R5 and if the R6 is even real, it’s going to be $3k.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
you’re dreaming if you think the R5 is going to be $3500. Just like their overpriced RF lenses, Canon is going to charge a huge premium for being the only one with features their competition does not have. $5k for the R5 and if the R6 is even real, it’s going to be $3k.
How much you want to bet on this? We have a forum of witnesses.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
The wording here is interesting. It suggests that we shouldn't expect fast aperture big whites for RF any time soon.

It begs the question, should we expect this at all, or will Canon rely on the (very good performing) EF-RF adapter to allow people to use big whites on any future RF camera? It does kinda make sense to not shut out people using DSLRs from using new big whites, as the 1DX MkIII just came out, and I think it's been said in the past that telephotos have little to gain from the shorter RF flange distance.

I guess at least it wouldn't be hard or cost a lot of development money to take a big white design intended for EF, just make it a little longer in the rear, and release a native RF version as well.

I guess, their first priority for new RF whites is compactness, not speed..Why -> the main big whites have got recent updates in EF. Also, the RF 70-200 is about compactness, and not necessarily higher IQ (in fact vignetting has been reported to be quite behind the EF MK III).

With all this, my guess is an RF 400 F/4 DO that is super compact.

Upvote 0
One of the best things canon did for us in this new mount is make a $100US adapter available for EF lenses. There is no 'switching'. Just buy a new body and use your same glass. If new and better RF designs come out over the years, you can certainly switch your glass out in the future.

This is the upgrade path I'm looking at. Get and R6 or its equivalent when it arrives on the market, and keep my glass. Maybe add a few RF zooms as they become available and reduce in price.

-Brian
Exactly. I went from the 6D2 to the R and all my lenses work better with the adapter than before without. (y)

Upvote 0