What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
I was disappointed that the 100-500 was an F7.1 lens given other brands have 6.3 options at 600mm
Yes but they're inevitably bulkier, because they have to have a 95 mm front element vs 71 mm (probably 77 mm filter thread) for a 500 mm f/7.1, as well as being a bit longer. You can always make a bigger lens but I'm very pleased they've decided to keep this one small.

If you need a bigger lens there's the 500/4L IS II, or the 400/4 DO II with a 1.4x = 560 mm f/5.6.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yes but they're inevitably bulkier, because they have to have a 95 mm front element vs 71 mm (probably 77 mm filter thread) for a 500 mm f/7.1, as well as being a bit longer. You can always make a bigger lens but I'm very pleased they've decided to keep this one small.

If you need a bigger lens there's the 500/4L IS II, or the 400/4 DO II with a 1.4x = 560 mm f/5.6.
Who thinks a Canon is going to be on par or worse than Tammy or Sigma C ? The IQ alone has got to be a step above, regardless of aperture on the long end. Not to mention the contrast, distortion, CA and color.

Upvote 0
I'm confused about the R3 nomenclature speculation. Did Canon have a '3' numbered DSLR as well in the past?
Im not sure about the R3 either... it seems not going to happen in my opinion. But for the curiosity there was back in time Canon EOS 3 as a film camera body. I still have the Canon EOS 5 to shoot with film and my ef lenses.

Upvote 0
I'm fine with the RF35mm 1.8 as my pretty-fast prime.

I'd sell the EF 11-24 in a heartbeat for an RF (as I'm not an adapter fan if I can avoid it).
I'm not a EF 11-24mm owner but wouldn't the CPL /vari ND adpters be very useful for that lens? Yes they are expensive but filter systems for the 11-24mm are more expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Doubtful. Why introduce yet another line of lenses in a contracting market?
Is there a compelling reason for APS-C option with the R5 specs? Speed/pixels on subject/AF performance would greatly exceed the 7Dii. Assuming that the R5 weather sealing is good (and should be!). The only downside is cost and perhaps the 7D line was an anomaly for cost/performance in the past.

Upvote 0

I concur... the front element is smaller than the competition so the cost should be highly competitive or similar to the current 100-400mm. The question is optical/AF performance with the 1.4x TC (should be good) and the 2x TC (which is doubtful @ f14).

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Who thinks a Canon is going to be on par or worse than Tammy or Sigma C ? The IQ alone has got to be a step above, regardless of aperture on the long end. Not to mention the contrast, distortion, CA and color.
Even the 100-400 often resolves more detail than the Sigma C or the Tamron, because it's sharper at the long end and more likely to focus accurately. I'm sure we can expect the same and more of the 100-500.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
The 200-400 f4, 300 f2.8 II & 500 f4 II did not get the updates and weight loss program of the EF 400 f2.8 III and EF 600 f4 III. Since they were not upgraded as EF lenses, I think it likely they will be refreshed on the RF platform. While I would like a much lighter/smaller 200-400 f4 w/ 1.4x TC, this is more of a niche lens and will probably be the last one updated or replaced with a similar option. Basically, I agree the 300 & 500 are probably going to be the first big whites related with the RF mount. Since the EF lenses adapt so well to the R, I don't think Canon is going to be in a hurry and may deliver other, unique lenses in the telephoto range.

I'll let the designers and resident experts worry about what is possible, but a RF200-400 in the spirit of the RF70-200, maybe with DO or the IS III magic helium secrets to to cut its weight from 3.6kg to maybe 2.4-2.7kg? Even without the 1.4x.

As I frequently note, the 400 and 600 IS III ultralights can easily be "New RF lenses announced!" with virtually no engineering except one structural part. Perhaps when the R1 is announced they'll flood these into the mix so that pros have a complete line of big whites from day one.

A 300 f2.8 update seems an obvious choice, but I wonder if (hope) the first big white RF answers the question: "What big long lens design would show off the RF mount's capabilities the best?" A 200-500 f4 DO that I believe the recent 100-400(+100) f5.6(+1.5) has some openly wishing for?

Upvote 0
Canon with 1DC, 5D4, C200, 1Dx Mark III and some others, is using DCI 4k. But they didn't take the same route with the EOS R (UHD only). I think and feel that R5 will come with DCI 8k also. So that means horizontal pixels will be at less 8192 for 8k DCI. If we do the math for 3:2 aspect ratio then we have 8192x5460=44728320 which translates to 45mp. So the R5 is 45mp as the rumours say. Heif files will be amazing from this camera I imagine! Processing will be much faster and that also translates to faster eye ef detection and remember that EOS R is already very close to sony performance with latest firmware. If we get 4k ff 60/120 and 10bit inside or outside with an addition of atomos ninja v then I can't ask nothing more from Canon. Then that will be the best all around milc on the market and noone can complain anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm intrigued about the 2x TC... what will it be used for? It could be used on the 100-500mm but it would be really slow. It would work well on the 70-200mm but that it is less common today. Perhaps 1.x TC stacked with 2x TC on the 70-200mm to give 200-560mm f7.1. A long DO lens is the only. Guessing that it will be 300 or 400mm but the rumour is for slower apertures than today ie smaller front element and hence cost. I guess that we will see what the strenth of the adapters (EF-RF/1.x/2x TC) when they are combined with heavier EF lens

Upvote 0
I am interested to know people's thoughts about switchers - specifically Sony switchers. They all moved to Sony from Nikon/Canon because of specs. Assuming that the R5 is all we expect it to be, it will exceed existing specs and have ergonomics and colours that Sony users have been complaining about. They have been very vocal about how good Sony is compared to the rest but will they be open to switching systems?

Upvote 0
With the new Canon Cloud (I don't recall their brand) giving real-time continuous backups, the notion of a second card slot will be going by the wayside as archaic insurance. I'd even boldly suggest that before long some cameras (like smartphones) will have NO card slots, but just some internal memory.

And a requirement to only shoot in a range of a high speed 4G/5G network...
I'd even suggest some cameras won't have a sensor, they'd be googling existing images from the place you're in and uploading them to the cloud.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Yes but they're inevitably bulkier, because they have to have a 95 mm front element vs 71 mm

And the simple math says that that element that is 34% larger in diameter will weigh 2.4 times the 5.6 lens front element (assuming a simple case where all elements scale up, etc.) The cube of the diameter is no friend to light weigh large lenses.

I'll take an RF400mm f4 DO that also zooms out to 200 and weighs 2kg. Big brother of the RF70-200. Or a 2kg RF300 f 2.8 would be fine.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I belong to a FB photo group of about 400 people and there has been a LOT of talk by Sony users wondering if they should sell their gear now or later what with the R 5 coming for best value. I cannot believe how easy it is for people to switch. So many facets of hassle, problems, even cost... no thank you. On top of it, what are they really getting? Not any better at photographic technique I can tell you.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
I hope Canon is going to push DO technology - it's such a perfect fit for mirrorless.

Nikon has made two really amazing lenses in the 300/4 PF and 500/5.6 PF. If you haven't ever held the 300 you would likely be shocked by how small and light it is. It, to be frank, makes the Canon 300/4 L really look like a museum piece. Before anyone gets upset, I own that lens, have done for years, enjoy it, love the build quality and hood, though wish it had the newer IS but the Nikon is in another league and is so much smaller and lighter.

It will be very hard to make a non-DO 300/2.8 or 500/4 radically smaller and as such one ends up regardless carrying a large lens whether or not the camera is smaller. But as they say a sportsman should play to his own strengths, not his opponent's. And DO lenses would suite the R cameras so well. I would love a very small and high quality 70-300 DO for travel and a 300/4 L DO and 500/5.6 L DO for wildlife.

Upvote 0