What’s next from Canon in 2020?

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I don’t believe the R6 rumors at all. Why would they get everyone all hyped up for the R5 and then announce and release an inferior camera a month before it? Also, if we are supposed to believe this is a mirrorless 6D, why would they go from 26 megapixels back to 20? Besides, Canon only mentioned the R5 and seven new lenses for 2020, no mention of any other cameras. None of it makes any sense. Not happening. I also don’t believe we will be seeing a pancake lens or affordable primes. Canon has shown they are only interested in big expensive lenses aside from a couple scraps they threw to potential RP owners. This site said a pancake lens and slower primes would be out by early 2020, it’s mid February and Canon has said nothing about them. Not happening.
"A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink." WC Fields

Upvote 0
Those are bigger, heavier lenses with worse optical quality. There is a reason why they are cheaper, this one will be priced close to 3000$ with the teleconverters being similarly expensive.
This lens is aiming to be a EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM II replacement (or a direct rival to the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS) with even better optical quality and very lightweight as well.
Also likely to work very well with a teleconverter.

And the optical elements are made of crystallized unicorn tears.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I'm intrigued about the 2x TC... what will it be used for? It could be used on the 100-500mm but it would be really slow. It would work well on the 70-200mm but that it is less common today. Perhaps 1.x TC stacked with 2x TC on the 70-200mm to give 200-560mm f7.1. A long DO lens is the only. Guessing that it will be 300 or 400mm but the rumour is for slower apertures than today ie smaller front element and hence cost. I guess that we will see what the strenth of the adapters (EF-RF/1.x/2x TC) when they are combined with heavier EF lens

Bad news: the rear element of the RF70-200 goes all the way back. Not a TC host candidate.

IMG_4052.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I am interested to know people's thoughts about switchers - specifically Sony switchers. They all moved to Sony from Nikon/Canon because of specs. Assuming that the R5 is all we expect it to be, it will exceed existing specs and have ergonomics and colours that Sony users have been complaining about. They have been very vocal about how good Sony is compared to the rest but will they be open to switching systems?

I'm a Nikon switcher (late last year). Loved the Z6 and kit lens but didn't like the look of the future lens offerings compared to Canon - and am happy given what I've seen. The RF70-200 was the deal-sealer. Lenses like the 400 f2.8 IS III were also persuasive, but I'm awaiting RF lenses. Ruled out Sony's bad ergonomics and questionable color. Would have hesitated between 9 series and 7 series (on reason the R5 will be a killer). Bought a Canon fisheye and flash from a client who was dumping Canon for Sony. I have politely not mentioned the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The sensor aspect ratio is 3:2, actually. There are two possibilities: if the R5 only records "UHD" 8K (7680x4320), then roughly 40MP is sufficient. On the other hand, if it shoots "DCI" 8K (8192x4320), then 45MP is needed. Of course, the resolution could be even larger, those are just lower bounds. It's not very likely though.
Yes, I stand corrected.
8K would have to be
40MP (7680 x 4320) at a minimum and for DCI 8K
45MP (8192 x 4320) as you quite correctly stated.
Thanks for the correction.
(What the heck was I thinking!?)

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I belong to a FB photo group of about 400 people and there has been a LOT of talk by Sony users wondering if they should sell their gear now or later what with the R 5 coming for best value. I cannot believe how easy it is for people to switch. So many facets of hassle, problems, even cost... no thank you. On top of it, what are they really getting? Not any better at photographic technique I can tell you.

I know a few people who switched to Sony but kept all of their Canon glass in case they wanted to return.

Upvote 0
I belong to a FB photo group of about 400 people and there has been a LOT of talk by Sony users wondering if they should sell their gear now or later what with the R 5 coming for best value. I cannot believe how easy it is for people to switch. So many facets of hassle, problems, even cost... no thank you. On top of it, what are they really getting? Not any better at photographic technique I can tell you.

I was tempted to switch to Sony A7RIV but didn't simply because of the cost and potential need to use adopted glass (EF on E mount). If Canon didn't announce these new cameras now, I'd be in the process of switching already, reluctantly. If you have enough budget, why sticking to outdated gear when you can enjoy more advanced tech? That applies to enthusiasts and semi-pros with money. If it's a matter of pure business, you'll be considering switching only when you current gear is nearly worn out.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I was tempted to switch to Sony A7RIV but didn't simply because of the cost and potential need to use adopted glass (EF on E mount). If Canon didn't announce these new cameras now, I'd be in the process of switching already, reluctantly. If you have enough budget, why sticking to outdated gear when you can enjoy more advanced tech? That applies to enthusiasts and semi-pros with money. If it's a matter of pure business, you'll be considering switching only when you current gear is nearly worn out.
Because advanced tech will only garner so much. I enjoy better color, better skin tones, better glass, better ergonomics, better software/menus, better customer care and weather sealing. It's a total package which transcends DR.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think we will eventually see an RF body with an APS-C (think R7) to replace the 7D line. What's unique about the 7D is that it's a crop body widely used by pros as compliments to other FF bodies like the 5D and 1DX lines to get extra reach on telephotos. I think we will see more than that one similar to Rebels now, but I think the 7D gets an RF replacement first

You don't get more reach with a cropped sensor, reach is determined by the focal length of the lens, the image size is the same, what is different is the sensor size. To use a math analogy, the numerator stays the same, the denominator is reduced, which leads to the misconception that you are getting more reach with cropped sensors. It's an illusion that it is bigger, it's not bigger, just looks bigger as it takes up more space on a smaller sensor. When you think about it logically, obviously it isn't actually any closer, and the lens doesn't have any more reach, that dirty little misconception figured into some of early digital purchases. The benefit of the the 7D was the dual Digic processors, with one dedicated to AF, like the 1DX.

Personally, I don't know why they continue to make cropped sensors, in a contracting market, one would think less R&D and the economy of scale would out weigh the costs savings of producing a smaller sensor, I guess not. Not sure why they continue with the Rebel series, seriously, why not get that target population into an RP/RF format?

Upvote 0
Bad news: the rear element of the RF70-200 goes all the way back. Not a TC host candidate.

View attachment 188772

Just means that you can't use a teleconverter with a protrusion. The protruding elements aren't a fundamental requirement of teleconverters.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
You don't get more reach with a cropped sensor, reach is determined by the focal length of the lens, the image size is the same, what is different is the sensor size. To use a math analogy, the numerator stays the same, the denominator is reduced, which leads to the misconception that you are getting more reach with cropped sensors. It's an illusion that it is bigger, it's not bigger, just looks bigger as it takes up more space on a smaller sensor. When you think about it logically, obviously it isn't actually any closer, and the lens doesn't have any more reach, that dirty little misconception figured into some of early digital purchases. The benefit of the the 7D was the dual Digic processors, with one dedicated to AF, like the 1DX.

Personally, I don't know why they continue to make cropped sensors, in a contracting market, one would think less R&D and the economy of scale would out weigh the costs savings of producing a smaller sensor, I guess not. Not sure why they continue with the Rebel series, seriously, why not get that target population into an RP/RF format?

Given two sensors with nearly identical pixel density....

30MP Canon EOS R / 5D4 on 400mm lens = effective 400mm reach

32MP Canon 90D on 400mm lens = effective 640mm reach

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I'm keen to know if the R6 will have one or two card slots. If it is supposed to be "inferior" to the R5, which the official announcement has said will have two card slots, , in addition to the fewer magapixels will they also reduce the card slots to one on the R6?
My guess is yes to that, but I know nothing it's a wild guess

Upvote 0