What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Anyone that switched brand because of a 1/3 of a stop of sensor DR advantage, deserves no respect :)

If R5 is worse than 5DIV, it'll be more than a stop difference between the R5 and the A7RIV.
But most importantly, I don't seek respect for being loyal to a brand. If Canon were paying me, maybe. But currently it's me who pays Canon. So it's Canon who should respect me as a customer and release cameras with good dynamic range. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
They obviously can't make it as good as on mirrorless, and it is ineffective to use with the optical viewfinder.
But would still be a big deal to have all those EF lenses enhanced, which are still way more popular than other mounts.
I mean, if they come out with a 5D Mark V, there should be a feature to make it sell well at a high price.

But maybe the R5 sensor with Digic X coupled with the renewed AF system, faster cards and possibly an articulating screen is enough for the target audience.

The IBIS in the Pentax DSLRs like the K1ii and K-3ii is very good, significantly better than what Sony has in their mirrorless bodies. Unfortunately for them weather sealing and IBIS are really the only reasons to buy Pentax.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Mirrored 5DV with flip screen and better sensor would be very nice. Would I buy it when I see Canon is putting all efforts into the R line? I don't know. If they announce it right now, before the R5 release, I'd be confused. But if they ever announce it, it'll be long after the R5 release. And I'll have bought either R5 or R5s by then.
That is, the market for 5DV shrinks significantly after the R5 release.
Maybe yes, maybe not. R5 will have much better handling than R undoubtedly but it will not be 100% the same with 5 series. Due to the flip screen and the less camera depth they have less space so they put less buttons. Having used many 5 series (and one 7) I prefer their handling than my R's. Plus I trust them more.

R is nice for landscapes and when you are not in a hurry. I would have lost images If I was using the R in critical situations. Once in a while it blurs so much (irrespective of lens) I cannot fix it either by trying to focus or turning the manual focus ring. This remains a mystery and I cannot duplicate it so no point of losing my camera to service for weeks. The only time I had a much less severe issue was when I was using my 500mm f/4L IS II pointing to an area that cannot focus in combination with "Don't drive lens when cannot AF" setting but that can be fixed in ONE second by turning the manual focus ring to clear the view.

Also a 5DV would make me consolidate 5DIV and 5DsR into one general purpose camera.

I am NO R hater. I already have 4 RF lenses: 24-105, 35, 15-35 and 24-70 by the way!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon EOS-3

Canon never used 2D and 3D for obvious reasons and "4" has a bad connotation in some cultures.

When I first read through the rumoured specs (potentially overly optimistic specs..!) I thought, "Hrmmm, could this be an R3 instead of an R5..?" as it reminded me of the market placement of the EOS 3 back in the day,-and they probably don't want to hurt the 5-series for a generation or more..? Anyways, my own history with the EOS 3 is that I never quite saw the EOS 3's "experimental" (in Canon speak "non-conservative") features to be attractive, but I have owned a EOS 1N and a EOS 1V. Eitherway, exciting stuff coming this year from Canon!

Upvote 0
Maybe yes, maybe not. R5 will have much better handling than R undoubtedly but it will not be 100% the same with 5 series. Due to the flip screen and the less camera depth they have less space so they put less buttons. Having used many 5 series (and one 7) I prefer their handling than my R's. Plus I trust them more.

I realise there may be some sacrifices because of the flip screen but still I guess the R5 should be pretty close to the 5DIV because it's a standard for 5-series cameras of Canon. The R wasn't in that category.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Mirrored 5DV with flip screen and better sensor would be very nice. Would I buy it when I see Canon is putting all efforts into the R line? I don't know. If they announce it right now, before the R5 release, I'd be confused. But if they ever announce it, it'll be long after the R5 release. And I'll have bought either R5 or R5s by then.
That is, the market for 5DV shrinks significantly after the R5 release.

I sort of agree with you but I think Canon has a reputational interest in this.
If they tell their loyal 5D customers that they are no longer offering development in their preferred (OVF) line then the owners ready to upgrade will then think if it is worth to change brands and that little voice at the back of their minds reminds them how Canon cut them adrift. One thing Canon cannot afford to do is say "hey guys, here is a replacement for that great 5D series but you will have to accept some compromises....".

Despite all the hoo-ha, mirrorless is still relatively new for most people and Sony have only (relatively) recently offered serious competition to Canon with the A7IV and the A9. The market is still turning, not 'has turned'. This is why IMO they persevered and released the 1Dxiii and I would be a bit surprised if a 5DV did not appear. .

Upvote 0
I've shot action/concerts with my 5DIV as well as landscapes, so I do like the OVF too. But because I'm shooting more landscapes and less action, I care less and less about the OVF.
At the same time nothing can prevent Canon from putting the R5's sensor and DIGIC X into 5DV and release it in 2021-2022. I just doubt they'd do that. Shrinking market, less moneyz on RnD etc.

Why doesn't it look as durable as 5D? We only saw it on promo pictures.

It seems people keep forgetting approximately half of the ICLC market is DSLR. I don't think Canon is just going to say nah we don't need that half of the market. We will give that to Nikon. I realize the DSLR market is shrinking but 50% of a market Canon dominates is nothing to sneeze at.

Upvote 0
Despite all the hoo-ha, mirrorless is still relatively new for most people and Sony have only (relatively) recently offered serious competition to Canon with the A7IV and the A9. The market is still turning, not 'has turned'. This is why IMO they persevered and released the 1Dxiii and I would be a bit surprised if a 5DV did not appear. .

Yep. They'll release 5DV if they have resources and think it'll be profitable. The R5 is better than a prospective 5DV in all regards, except some (small) percentage of customers who prefer OVF specifically. Before the R5 announcement, the 5DV rumour seemed to be plausible, currently it's not.
I'm not saying nobody needs 5DV. I'm saying(guessing) the market for it will be too small.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It seems people keep forgetting approximately half of the ICLC market is DSLR. I don't think Canon is just going to say nah we don't need that half of the market. We will give that to Nikon. I realize the DSLR market is shrinking but 50% of a market Canon dominates is nothing to sneeze at.

And the largest portion of that 'half of the market' is crop-DSLRs. Full frame DSLRs are a niche market when compared to crop DSLRs.

Upvote 0
I don't think Canon is just going to say nah we don't need that half of the market.
But 5D line isn't a big part of that market. Because there's R5 announced already, we're talking about those who need all the same specs but with OVF. Not too many people I guess.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Actually I'm more interested in a 50mm F/1.4 -- I think it's safe to say there's been technological advances in the last 27 years that leave room for improvement on the current EF F/1.4.

Sigma released one 6 years ago that weighs 800g and goes for under a grand -- this is what I'm hoping for in an RF mount.
Have you noticed that Sigma lenses are lower in cost than similar Canon lenses? ;)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yep. They'll release 5DV if they have resources and think it'll be profitable. The R5 is better than a prospective 5DV in all regards, except some (small) percentage of customers who prefer OVF specifically. Before the R5 announcement, the 5DV rumour seemed to be plausible, currently it's not.
I'm not saying nobody needs 5DV. I'm saying(guessing) the market for it will be too small.

Looking at it from a different side, which FF DSLRs with OVF have been announced lately? 1DxIII, D6 and .... ?

Upvote 0
If R5 is worse than 5DIV, it'll be more than a stop difference between the R5 and the A7RIV.
But most importantly, I don't seek respect for being loyal to a brand. If Canon were paying me, maybe. But currently it's me who pays Canon. So it's Canon who should respect me as a customer and release cameras with good dynamic range. :)
Why should the R5 sensor be worse than that of the 5DIV, which by the time the R5 comes out will be almost 4 years old...?

Upvote 0