What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Jul 19, 2011
But all of the YouTubers and other "influencers" are so obsessed on flat field performance that they don't care what the background looks like.

Good thing I'm no influencer.

Read the process part first and then go to comparison to do your own double blind test.

Only after completing your own go to home and look at the
all star results, in order to not spoil it for you.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Good thing I'm no influencer.

Read the process part first and then go to comparison to do your own double blind test.

Only after completing your own go to home and look at the
all star results, in order to not spoil it for you.
Well, even though it tells me which lens is worth buying if I ever back to the market for a FF 50mm prime lens, the only Canon 50mm lens present in the tests was 50/1.8 STM.

Also, I'm not convinced on the practical utility of just 77 comparisons and just 1 scene to rank 74 lenses with so vast differences in focal range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
jDTklu2uY9mxxpq1VYttsDiOGbNd4t5VZajt2cgh.jpeg

Another leaked picture, pre-production model is in the hands of professionals, availability expected before the Tokyo Olympics

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Every single 5D Mk4 buyer I know is ready to jump, some
just want to wait for a couple of months for the first price
adjustment. None of them says to prefer OVF and mirror.

You might be surprised.
You clearly don't know me. Or Tron. Or...
I might buy, but it will be despite the EVF. Why can't some people get it into their heads that there are cons as well as pros of EVF.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I remember a thread more than a year ago where some forumers were going on and on about the 35/1.4 L II and how the way the lens renders transitions from in-focus to OOF backgrounds was "bad" somehow, and I'm still mystified whenever I think about that. That's not to say that bokeh doesn't matter -- it does -- but personally, I think that the differences between good and bad bokeh are often extremely slight in premium glass. My Sigma ART 35/1.4, for instance, has wretched bokeh wide open especially on fine-textured subjects like grass, but that's an $800 lens, not an L lens starting at twice that much.

YuengLinger posted last year some comparison photos of the EF 85/1.2 L II vs. the EF 85/1.4 L IS vs. the RF 85/1.2 L and they all looked pretty damn nice, with the RF lens looking the smoothest.
I don't know nuthin' about no got dang test charts or yootube in-fluencers. ;) What I can tell you is that the oof areas and transitions rendered by the RF 85mm f/1.2L are absolutely horrid and that you should never buy the lens. I tell you this as an actual owner of the lens, not some guy just pontificating. ;) Stay away. :) I used to own the EF 35mm f/1.4L II... horrible lens. ;)

Attachments

• Dandelion web.jpg
    Dandelion web.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 123
  • _E5A1950 web.jpg
    _E5A1950 web.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Additionally, there is so little daylight between the 6D and 6D mk. II sensors, it makes me laugh how often people bring it up, as if they could tell, if presented with 2 photos, which one was taken on which body, even at low ISOs where there is *some* measurable difference.
If I remember right, the uproar when the 6DII came out was because the DR of the 6DII wasn't any better than the 6D when some noisy people wanted a bump in the DR magic number that would match the 5DIV.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Every single 5D Mk4 buyer I know is ready to jump, some
just want to wait for a couple of months for the first price
adjustment. None of them says to prefer OVF and mirror.

You might be surprised.
This 5DIV owner not going to buy either an R5 or an 5DV in the foreseeable future. If Canon does not release a 5DV, most likely it will keep the 5DIV on the market.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Well, even though it tells me which lens is worth buying if I ever
back to the market for a FF 50mm prime lens, the only Canon
50mm lens present in the tests was 50/1.8 STM.

We had to make do with what the visitors to the event brought.
This isn't a permanent thing, for lack of time, and it doesn't try
to cover every lens on the market.

Also, I'm not convinced on the practical utility of just 77 comparisons
and just 1 scene to rank 74 lenses with so vast differences in focal range.

It is meant to give people a rough idea, and to exercise some image
analysis without the brand name or price tag overshadowing every
thought.

Upvote 0