What’s next from Canon in 2020?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
OMG that totally sailed right by me, LOL
I'm a little thick. ;) It just means one can sit closer to a larger tv in a small room and not notice lines (old crt) or pixels. 2' from the screen? Yeah, okay. lol So there is an advantage to 8k in my imaginary videos I will take. I can get an 85" screen in a small room rather than having to sit 15' away from an old crt television with rabbit ears. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-0WSQQdOK2k9/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

Now, time to listen to the Doobie Brothers. ;) The tedious nature of things is getting me nervous. Especially the DR that factors into all this, which is the real advantage of 4k or 8k over 1080. hmmm... is 8k art?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Every single 5D Mk4 buyer I know is ready to jump, some
just want to wait for a couple of months for the first price
adjustment. None of them says to prefer OVF and mirror.

You might be surprised.
As a 5D mk 4 owner may I just say that I plan to continue using this camera for several years to come. Also I prefer the OVF to every EVF that I have used - although of course I have not tried the EVF on the R5 yet. The two other photographers i know who use 5D mark 4s feel much the same way. It does everything they need it to do so there is no compelling reason to change.
However, the published specs for the R5 are interesting and if the production version lives up to expectations then i will probably buy one to be used alongside my 5D mk4, at least until I have had time to use it for a while. In the end I might keep both cameras, or move fully to the R5, or go back to using my 5D mk for all serious work but for now i want to keep an open mind rather than making an expensive mistake that i later come to regret.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
The average US TV size is 60" = optimum viewing distances as follows, 1080P 7.7ft, 4K 4ft, 8K 2ft

We have a 65" and sit about 15' away. I've tried skootching up our couch a few inches a day to see if my wife notices we're getting closer, but she does.

Every. Single. Time.

Feng Shui is really messing with my optimum viewing experience.

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
We have a 65" and sit about 15' away. I've tried skootching up our couch a few inches a day to see if my wife notices we're getting closer, but she does.

Every. Single. Time.

Feng Shui is really messing with my optimum viewing experience.

:ROFLMAO:
"Optimum viewing" in @jeffa4444 example has little to do with optimum viewing. The advantage is being able to use ever larger televisions in ever smaller rooms without taking an IQ hit. Saving for an 85" 4k now for what will be an awesome 10' viewing distance experience. An 85" 720 or 1080 that size and at that distance would not be as good. :) https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
"Optimum viewing" in @jeffa4444 example has little to do with optimum viewing. The advantage is being able to use ever larger televisions in ever smaller rooms without taking an IQ hit. Saving for an 85" 4k now for what will be an awesome 10' viewing distance experience. An 85" 720 or 1080 that size and at that distance would not be as good. :) https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Oh, yes. I was just being funny. Our 65" looks great at all resolutions... But real 4K content is pretty amazing.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Oh, yes. I was just being funny. Our 65" looks great at all resolutions... But real 4K content is pretty amazing.
Yeah, I knew you were just joshing. :) I have a little 1080p 38" screen right now. I'm in a tiny apartment so I don't really know where I'd put something bigger.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I think your trying to teach me to suck eggs! Were renting Red 8K cameras

I think your trying to teach me to suck eggs! We rent Red 8K cameras Im well aware as Ive stated that oversampling / pan & scan are available to those that chose to shoot full 8K (which often they dont). My point was outputting 8K as a viewable image is impractical unless you know something I dont?

Every example you gave in your original comment to which I was responding was an output device, not a capture device nor an intermediate processing device.

My point stands that just because 8K is currently impractical for output devices does not mean it is not useful for capture devices. The cameras in question are capture devices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Its not irrelevant when TV companies are trying to sell consumers 8K TVs without them understanding the limitations, its not irrelevant when movie theatres will not be able to handle 8K content yet producers are being told they are future proofing.

Refresh rates, and wider color gamut are worthwhile investments, 8K origination for oversampling but people need to understand the physical limitations of the human eye and viewing distances. Security applications by comparison to domestic is a much smaller market and even then it only relates to using specific enhancing technology most ordinary people would not need.

Talking about the impracticality of output devices when discussing 8K for capture devices is irrelevant, unless the resolution of the output device exceeds the resolution of the capture device.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The reality is apart from wealthier families most homes could not cope with an 85" TV unless it was like wallpaper they are simply too small. In Europe homes are way smaller than the US and in Asia smaller still.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
What happened to the $800 RF camera?
That's the RP; it's the mirrorless type Rebel line. I predict that all of the RF camera will be FF sensor, per "consolidation" theme that was reported by the Canon rep couple yrs ago.

You probably want the EOS-M line (e.g. M5 or M6) as this segment will likely to use mostly (if not all) APS-C

Upvote 0