What Canon-branded RF lenses do you want to see in 2023?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
A more modest desire - a FF pancake lens equivalent to the EF Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM.
Pancake lense focal length are usually close to the mount depth, so 40mm for the 44mm EF mount and 22mm for the EF-M mount. I don't think we'll get anything smaller than the current RF50 and RF16.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
Pancake lense focal length are usually close to the mount depth, so 40mm for the 44mm EF mount and 22mm for the EF-M mount. I don't think we'll get anything smaller than the current RF50 and RF16.
What about the RF-S 22mm though?

There was a product image a while ago, but there were suspicions it was just a fake. I do not believe Canon would make a pancake lens with two rings like the one in the image, which was probably created from the RF-S 18-45 with its two rings for zoom and focus…

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What about the RF-S 22mm though?

There was a product image a while ago, but there were suspicions it was just a fake. I do not believe Canon would make a pancake lens with two rings like the one in the image, which was probably created from the RF-S 18-45 with its two rings for zoom and focus…
That mock-up looked great to me, but @Jethro was asking about FF pancakes, the RF-S would be a crop pancake :)

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Hmm, the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM is 40.5mm, while the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM is 22.8mm - I can't believe they couldn't get an RF version closer to that? I'm certainly not asking for f/1.8 on a pancake.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
I just want a pancake for my RP
Until one arrives I’ll not be investing any more in the R line.
I already have the RF 16 & 50 plus 2 canon ef-rf adapters
Unfortunately the RP has now become my glorified point’n’shoot for simple lazy snaps

The non-L RF zooms are way too slow (and expensive) hence I’m adapting my EF lenses if I need too or using my DSLR’s
< shock horror>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Unfortunately the RP has now become my glorified point’n’shoot for simple lazy snaps

The non-L RF zooms are way too slow (and expensive) hence I’m adapting my EF lenses if I need too or using my DSLR’s
< shock horror>
RF16 sized 24 and 35mm lenses would be nice, they wouldn't need to be f/1,8, but f/2.8 or faster would be appreciated. As much as I love macro, or the half life size "macro", I value compactness more on these type of lenses.
I'm not sure if I'd go without IS, maybe Canon can do a poll on this forum, with mockups :)

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
RF16 sized 24 and 35mm lenses would be nice, they wouldn't need to be f/1,8, but f/2.8 or faster would be appreciated. As much as I love macro, or the half life size "macro", I value compactness more on these type of lenses.
I'm not sure if I'd go without IS, maybe Canon can do a poll on this forum, with mockups :)
I think that’s wishful thinking.
It seems canon’s aim is to force us all up to their flagship range be it R5/6 and L glass

EVERYTHING else is crippled in someway.

As I say I’m spending more and more time using my 6d now than ever. I never realised just how stunningly beautiful the files are, capturing the subtle nuances of colour fidelity….whereas all my mirrorless deliver super sharp high contrast files not akin to my phone!!

Luckily I still have a spare unused 6d should my current one die, but at 44K it’s got lots of life left ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

< shock horror>
Just curious to what you are shooting where the non-L zooms are too slow? Is it a depth of field issue? And, yes, of course there are many EF lenses including L lenses available for very good value. Smart buyers realize this.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Just curious to what you are shooting where the non-L zooms are too slow? Is it a depth of field issue? And, yes, of course there are many EF lenses including L lenses available for very good value. Smart buyers realize this.
I’ve become so accustomed to shooting almost always wide open, with high shutter speeds/low iso and that gorgeous separation that wide open gives. Even contemplating something like the 24-50 6.3 makes me think what’s the point, I might as well quit now and buy a better smartphone.
I really dislike how canon is forcing these slow RF lenses upon us or expecting us to pay ridiculous sums for bigger aperture or L glass.
I’m just not going to buy into it - simple

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I’ve become so accustomed to shooting almost always wide open, with high shutter speeds/low iso and that gorgeous separation that wide open gives. Even contemplating something like the 24-50 6.3 makes me think what’s the point, I might as well quit now and buy a better smartphone.
I really dislike how canon is forcing these slow RF lenses upon us or expecting us to pay ridiculous sums for bigger aperture or L glass.
I’m just not going to buy into it - simple
I bit the bullet and bought the 28-70 f2. I'm extremely happy with it, but I understand people who don't want to pay that much or decided it's too heavy. How do you feel about an Ef 24-70 f2.8?

Upvote 0