What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III is going to have some very big shoes to fill and cannot be an incremental improvement of the affordable workhorse of the Canon lineup. The EOS 5D Mark IV has to be a revolutionary upgrade in performance, or people may start looking elsewhere for a camera body solution. I do believe the entire market is waiting to see what Canon does with the EOS 5D Mark IV.</p>
<p><a href="https://fstoppers.com/profile/alexcooke" target="_blank">Alex Cooke</a> at Fstoppers has run down his list of features he’d like to see in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, some of them are no-brainers and should be in any camera costing thousands of dollars. Below is the a list of the ones I agree on and would like to see in the next EOS 5D. You can <a href="https://fstoppers.com/originals/5d-mark-iv-may-well-make-or-break-canon-86462" target="_blank">read his full list here</a>.</p>
<ul>
<li>
<blockquote><p><strong>Sync Speed

</strong>Did you know the original 1D had a sync speed of 1/500 s? (<em>*cr note, this was because the original EOS-1D was CCD. thanks neuro</em>) I know a lot of strobists who shoot with the 5D Mark III and are continually frustrated by its sync speed of 1/200 s. Sure, there’s high-speed sync, but right now, in the eyes of many pros, Canon is in a position of needing to reestablish itself as an innovator. An ultra-fast sync speed would be a great distinguishing feature.</p></blockquote>
</li>
<li>
<blockquote><p><strong>Long Exposures

</strong>The fact that in 2015, I can’t input an arbitrary exposure time without resorting to bulb mode and a trigger is a little bewildering and frankly, makes me think it’s a way to push me toward buying accessories. This should be a no-brainer.</p></blockquote>
</li>
<li>
<blockquote><p><strong>Lighted AF Points

</strong>The 5D Mark III has a stellar AF system that performs admirably in low light. There’s only one problem: I can’t see my AF points in low light. For some reason, when shooting in Servo mode, the black AF points do not illuminate, meaning in a dark reception hall, I have to try to follow dimly lit subjects with, you guessed it, a black AF point. The best AF system in the world doesn’t mean much to me if I don’t know what I’m focusing on.</p></blockquote>
</li>
<li>
<blockquote><p><strong>Spot Metering Linked to AF Point

</strong>This is a feature I highly suspect Canon left out of the 5D Mark III to distinguish it from the 1D X, but I really think this is a mistake. Top level cameras should be distinguished not only by their build, but by state of the art and innovative features exclusive to that echelon by virtue of their newness and novelty. Purposely excluding a highly useful and sensible feature that even a camera released in 1998possessed from your second best camera seems to be a bit of a snub to working professionals.</p></blockquote>
</li>
<li>
<blockquote><p><strong>Dynamic Range and File Latitude

</strong>This is a big one. With Sony and Nikon’s cameras consistently possessing around 14 stops of dynamic range, the 11.7 stops of the 5D Mark III are starting to feel a bit antiquated. Coupled with its poor shadow recovery, I frequently feel a bit restricted when shooting scenes with a large dynamic range.</p></blockquote>
</li>
</ul>
<p>From what people tell me, the most important upgrades they want to see is in regards to image quality and especially dynamic range. Canon is bringing 15 stops of dynamic range to the Cinema EOS line, and photographers definitely want to see that brought to the EOS stills line. High ISO performance improvements are also high on most photographers lists of wants.</p>
<p>I still don’t believe we’re going to see 4K brought to the EOS 5D line, but what sort of videography improvements do people want to see from the EOS 5D Mark IV?</p>

To make the canon stand out I think they also need

full speed card writing (~250Mbit/sec) allowing continuous shooting in RAW (unless they manage to get the camera to shoot more than about 10fps)

raw video recording.

I think not including at least JPEG 4k will be a mistake. (250Mbit should allow something close to RAW 4k at 25fps)

Built in wireless (radio + IR) flash control and trigger.

ETTR metering.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd agree with the 5 items highlighted.
Flash sync of 1/200 is too slow.
The long exposures comment I completely agree with. Why am I limited to pre-set conditions.
Lighted AF points - this was surely an oversight/mistake in design of the 5D Mark III.
Spot metering linked to AF point. It's silly this wasn't implemented.
Dynamic Range and File Latitude - as has been pointed out forcefully on this website - you'd be stupid to want this ::)
These would be my main bug bears with an otherwise very good camera.
I'd like focus confirmation to be more obvious (ie focus point flashing).
It would be great if there was better ISO performance.
I'm not interested in 4K. I'm no Spielberg so my films would still suck in 4K.
I'd like however super slow motion eg: 960 FPS.
If they could do something about rolling shutter / jello effect that would be good too.
If in camera sensor cleaning could somehow get rid of hard to reach spots that would be great. A mini windscreen wiper or something.
A coating on the outside of the camera that doesn't wear away would be good.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
My biggest single slowdown using the otherwise fantastic 5dIII is the lack of illuminated AF points. It drives me nuts, irritates clients who must wait as I scramble to see the AF point, and costs me shots. The hard to see AF points are the biggest single roadblock in the creative process for the way I work with the 5dIII.

DR boost, ISO performance boost and so on will all be welcome. Please, keep the megapixels under 24-28 mpx.

Whatever the feature set of the 5dIV is, I'll no doubt buy one.

-pw

Upvote 0
All of that plus wifi. It's not good that I can't get a few pics of uploaded during an event I'm covering. It's often requested and daft that prosumor cameras can do this. If it's not built into the body, at least build it into the battery grip that I take to all events & weddings etc. Connectivity is important.

Really don't care about video additions. As long as the dynamic range is hugely improved & we get a few more usable stops of high ISO I'll be happy. ;D

Upvote 0
Machaon said:
Wow, the 5D IV rumour mill must be running pretty dry if we're reading "wish list" stories.
I guess, in a few days, some hundred postings are in this thread, as this Camera is expected hard.

For me personylly, more DR and an high IQ at high Isos should be added. The AF field-problem solved and the AF-flied made bigger, and added an AF-point related spot-metering too. A bigger buffer for continuous shooting would be great too.

Then I would buy it immediatly

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
Did you know the original 1D had a sync speed of 1/500 s?

Did you know the original 1D had a CCD sensor, and that sync speeds dropped with the switch to CMOS due to differences in the electronic readout process?

And did you further know that the Original 1D was only APS-H which makes it a lot simpler to get down to 1/500 on 16mm high sensors...

Upvote 0
- integrated ST-E3-RT
- GPS!
- wifi - take it or leave it, I've found the Canon wi-fi shooting apps to be pretty slow and laggy but it is better than nothing at times
- EVF would be awesome if they could make it sharp enough and/or switchable with the mirror view
- touchscreen is quick for picking focus / zoom points and zooming in and out with a pinch
- lots of information in the viewfinder like the 7D Mark II
- wider range of autofocus points across the viewfinder like the 7D Mark II
- articulating screen can make really low shots / weird angle shots considerably easier to get
- if it costs more to integrate I'm not interested in 4K, if I was I'd purchase a video camera instead of a stills camera
- super wish: an in-body image stabilization system, even if it only brought an additional stop or two (bonus points for adding a stop or two in addition to already IS enabled lenses). Admittedly I haven't done any research to how it compares to in-lens IS systems but having some IS on all lenses would be useful to me.
- and of course all of the things the article wishlist already had

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
Dual Pixel Af sensor, 4K @30 fps, 28-32 MP sensor with good DR. and 7Fps with built in Rt master transmitter.

The same for me there - 4K is a MUST - think forward - 5D4 will be there for 4 years - maybe it is enough to have FullHD for now, but after few years it will be a must to work in 4k to be competitive in video market. It's not an option for me just to delay switching from Canon to Sony - I am doing it now or (at least I hope) never. I'm not buying 5D4 just with Full HD having in mind that I still need to switch to Sony or other manufacturer 2 years later. It's not an option. 5D4 must have at least 4K clean HDMI out.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
Long Exposures

The fact that in 2015, I can’t input an arbitrary exposure time without resorting to bulb mode and a trigger is a little bewildering and frankly, makes me think it’s a way to push me toward buying accessories. This should be a no-brainer.

I imagine there is something functional behind the limit. Metering, perhaps. It would be nice to just rotate the dial ad nauseum or even input a shutter time via touch screen, but it wouldn't make my top-5.

Upvote 0
I don't quite see the issue with the sync speed anymore now that solutions like i.e. the Profoto B1 and B2 are around. 1/8000th is possible with those and if you need it for i.e. your wedding they are easy to rent if you don't want to purchase them. What I wonder is why on earth the author didn't mention the fps? Am I the only one who wants the 1DX frame rate in a 5D body?

4K video on the other hand is something I feel Canon should add stanta pede. It can't be that a GoPro Black can do 4k or even just 1080p at 120fps and a 5D can't. For all I care they could put into the next 1D and I'd be satisfied, just give it to me. The lenses on a Canon enable me to blow GoPro footage out of the water, the current chip does not.

The other thing I desire is Wifi-enabled remote shooting/file reviewing using iOS devices. again, look to GoPro and their iOS app. An iPad screen would be a delight to use when shooting and would enable me to leave the tethering cable and the mac at home on many days.

Finally: ditch the slow SD card slot. the 1DX does this right with two fast CF slots. I'm okay with the second slot being an SD slot if it's as fast as the CF slot.

(disclosure: I love the 1DX but I currently shoot a lot in a country that is very unfriendly to professional photographers. I need to travel with two bodies, currently two 5d MKIII, bodies the size of the 1DX means even more attention.)

Upvote 0