What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

Did you know the original 1D also had 1/16000 of a second max shutter speed? Groovy stuff. Things that really push the boundaries could really allow the 5dIV to be ahead of the game for some people.

I think it's too little, too late now. Sony already have the mirrorless market growing and make more of their money from it, it's "the future" and they're fully invested in in.

I've already moved to sony, but kept my Canon lenses. The bodies just no longer cut it. Bye Canon.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
alliumnsk said:
Why so many people want faster X-sync? Just pick up a leaf shutter camera if you need it

Sure. Just build up a different camera system for each desired feature.

Why do people want 4k? Just pick up a RED if you need it.
Why do people want high framerate? Just pick up a Phantom if you need it.
Why do people want TS-E lenses? Just pick up a view camera if you need it.
Why do people want higher resolution? Just pick up a Better Light if you need it.

Upvote 0
alliumnsk said:
Why so many people want faster X-sync? Just pick up a leaf shutter camera if you need it

Because I like shooting with my 70-200 2.8 and at the 200mm end, at 2.8 and it gets much better for sharpness when I can balance the ambient and flash at a turn of the shutter dial up to higher than 1/160 (my sync on the 5DII on a good day, usually 1/125) A faster shutter sync would be a total game changer for those of us who like to use flash in our outdoor pics. Would totally set the camera apart from every other pro full frame body.

I wish I had unlimited funds, but I dont' see any profoto's in my future, either.

Upvote 0
and what about some focus peaking?

I used the Sony RX1R about a month ago and I fell in love focus peaking. You can even auto 10x-zoom when focus peeking to dial it in. I have several Rokinon lenses right now and it be great to have this feature.

I agree with many of the others. With a four year life cycle Canon would be nuts not to include 4k. The freaking iPhone shoots 4k. The 5Ds has established itself as the studio camera, this mkIV needs to compete with A7Rii

One last thing. How about a really advanced built-in intervalometer. Something for advanced time-lapse shooting. It's an easy software addition and would be a nice "extra" feature.

Upvote 0
alliumnsk said:
aclectasis said:
Did you know the original 1D also had 1/16000 of a second max shutter speed?
Who needs that gimmick? With such shutterspeeds, the slit becomes so thin so diffraction starts to be noticeable.
And still you can't shoot sunspots

Actually, I've bounced of the 5DIII's max 1/8000th sec shutter speed a few times. It often occurs when using fast primes like an 85mm f1.2L in bright sunlight.

Upvote 0
The next body needs, without repeating others;

Automatic in body AMFA adjustments.
Eye focus (at minimum eye tracking of subject at maximum moving of focus points with my eye.
Some sort of hybrid optical viewfinder with electronic overlay or an add on external fully tiltable evf.
In Body stabilization. (Which I highly doubt will ever happen)
CLog and colour profiles to match cinema line.
Focus points that fill at least 80% of the viewing area. None of this restrictive diamond shape.
Loose the joystick for moving focus points and add some sort of trackpad like on PS4 controllers.
While not necessary I'd like to see wifi to send certain images quickly to my tablet for the model or social media.
External uncompressed 10bit 422 via hdmi but preferably sdi.
Global shutter this way no more high speed sync needed and great for video
APSC crop mode.

Upvote 0
Definitely 4K. Actual DCI 4K and UHD at a high bitrate with at least 13 stops dynamic range in video mode and CLog.
CFast 2.0 card slot would be nce. If the 5D gets it the price of these cards will surely drop quicker with so many cameras out there using them. Plus the Magic Lantern guys would probably appreciate(and need) the faster write speeds if they hack the camera to shoot 4K raw.
Would love to see a flip out screen like on the 70D, but I know this will never happen on the 5D series.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
what would I like to see in the 5D II successor?
- no mirror
- no prism
- no mechanical shutter
- no top display
- no bigger or heavier than Sony A7R II
+ Full HD EVF
+ Eye Control (ECF) AF v2.0
+ fully competitive sensor
+ really fast (DP or other) AF system

and split in two different models:
* one expensive € 5000+ with freking awesome 4k video and
* a cheap "stills only" version for me at € 1999 with no video-out whatsoever, only what's needed for LiveView feed

+ a good starting line-up of new, EF-X mirroless mount short-flangeback lenses - optically very good, as compact as possible, as reasonably priced as possible [basically FF equivalents to the EF-M lineup!] and make 'em "pure AF" = no focus ring, but perfectly weather-sealed and robust. If possible a non-mechanical aperture - meaning, no iris, but something like a variable size round LCD screen

thats about it. 8)

Upvote 0
I'd like to see more robust flash features. It's impossible to 2nd sync various flashes and strobes without accessories, or only Canon brand etc which are usually pricey.

I was using some Elinchrom Ranger Q hybrids for some long exposure flash work. I ended up using a D800e to shoot with as it could 2nd sync the skyport. Whats more the Nikon will pretty much 2nd sync anything, its extremely versatile and required no extra accessories.

Upvote 0
Top 3 for me:

1) Remove or greatly reduce the low pass filter (think 5DS R without the huge pixel count)
2) Higher dynamic range
3) I'd hardly miss video if they dropped it entirely.

Okay, a few others, partly poached from other posts:
- In-body MFA adjustment (or at least make life easy for FoCal and others)
- Slightly higher shots per second
- Better focus tracking of a small object on a complex background (yes, it's hard)
- If there's GPS, it needs to get initial lock quickly. It's too much of a battery hog to leave on all day
- Waterproof to 100 meters. Oh, sorry - I know that's not reasonable.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
what would I like to see in the 5D II successor?
- no mirror
- no prism
- no mechanical shutter
- no top display
- no bigger or heavier than Sony A7R II
+ Full HD EVF
+ Eye Control (ECF) AF v2.0
+ fully competitive sensor
+ really fast (DP or other) AF system

and split in two different models:
* one expensive € 5000+ with freking awesome 4k video and
* a cheap "stills only" version for me at € 1999 with no video-out whatsoever, only what's needed for LiveView feed

+ a good starting line-up of new, EF-X mirroless mount short-flangeback lenses - optically very good, as compact as possible, as reasonably priced as possible [basically FF equivalents to the EF-M lineup!] and make 'em "pure AF" = no focus ring, but perfectly weather-sealed and robust. If possible a non-mechanical aperture - meaning, no iris, but something like a variable size round LCD screen

thats about it. 8)

Aw, you forgot to use your favourite word 'mirrorslappers' :p

What about us wildlife photographers (and sports, and others)? I sure ain't handholding a supertele on a tiny mirrorless body.

Upvote 0
aclectasis said:
Did you know the original 1D also had 1/16000 of a second max shutter speed? Groovy stuff. Things that really push the boundaries could really allow the 5dIV to be ahead of the game for some people.

I think it's too little, too late now. Sony already have the mirrorless market growing and make more of their money from it, it's "the future" and they're fully invested in in.

I've already moved to sony, but kept my Canon lenses. The bodies just no longer cut it. Bye Canon.

At the risk of sounding like Neuro, I think the sales figures speak to a different narrative. You switched brands, I'm glad you made the right decision for yourself. But that Sony mirrorless is the future, is supposition only at this point.

Upvote 0