What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

As an owner of a 5d III and some L lenses..

- no cinema features.. photographers don't care, and video guys can buy a canon xxC made for this purpose.
- 4k we don't care..

for pure photos:
- more dynamic range
- nor better iso
- more mpx? 30 ?
- faster card slots - or 2 compact flash slots instead of cf+sd
- light measurement in the selected focus points is definitely a very good idea
- small lighting in the focus points when dark.. good idea too.
- build'in wireless flash transmitter - I don't know why it isn't build'in for a camera of this price
- less heavy ?
- faster fps - 5, 6, 7 , or 8 image/seconds, available also in silent-mode..

- better autofocus accuracy with some "difficult" cases : for instance, combo of 100-400 + 1.4x converter

- more file possibilities : at the same time: high quality big raw + highly compressed resized 1600x1200 px jpg (for really fast preview/transfer)

- Auto Iso mode: set the minimum speed of our choice, not among the proposed values.

Upvote 0
I cannot believe some of the comments I see like "we don't care about 4K, 5D is for photographers, video people can buy an EOS line"

Seriously ? What about photo-videographer that do both and want ONE small body for this ?
What about 5D mKii that revolutionized this aspect and was bought by tons of people for its video features ?

You are just a couple of self oriented blind people.
There are tons of people out there that want pro video features in a 5D body.

If Canon does not implement 4K + their new Dual autofocus then it is a no go for me and I will have to move to A7R II.

Upvote 0
Ulric Wolf said:
Chaitanya said:
Dual Pixel Af sensor, 4K @30 fps, 28-32 MP sensor with good DR. and 7Fps with built in Rt master transmitter.

The same for me there - 4K is a MUST - think forward - 5D4 will be there for 4 years - maybe it is enough to have FullHD for now, but after few years it will be a must to work in 4k to be competitive in video market. It's not an option for me just to delay switching from Canon to Sony - I am doing it now or (at least I hope) never. I'm not buying 5D4 just with Full HD having in mind that I still need to switch to Sony or other manufacturer 2 years later. It's not an option. 5D4 must have at least 4K clean HDMI out.

Yeah, I agree with this. I use the 5DIII now with external recording using the Atomos. I am hoping/expecting a 5DIV would have 4K with clean HDMI for external recording, and to make things even better, 10 bit. Otherwise it is not sensible for me, personally, to spend probably about $4K (or more) on it.

Upvote 0
I hope Canon doesn't improve anything and only gives it 2 extra MP. :)

That way we can give the people who spend their entire lives complaining about Canon, a few extra years to waste internet server space. Photography will continue to be impossible for them without those features. :)

On top of that it would be nice if the camera could sense if the user intends to use the camera for video or stills. If the user wants to shoot stills, they will have to dive 30 layers deep into the menu every time they want to shoot a single exposure. Same thing if they want to shoot 4K video, but with the video function buried deep into the menu system.

Actually, I change my mind. The 5D4 needs to be a compact mirrorless camera with 14.5 stops of low ISO DR. That would solve all of the problems regarding photography with Canon gear. While they are at it, give it lossy compression, non-14 bit files, tiny-ass buttons, a clown's array of adapters that may or may not work with both body and lens, overheat in video mode to keep our hands warm on cold days, 36 exposures per battery charge, single card slot, and just about anything that can be overcome with the mighty magic of low ISO DR. :)

Upvote 0
I cannot believe some of the comments I see like "we don't care about 4K, 5D is for photographers, video people can buy an EOS line"

Seriously ? What about photo-videographer that do both and want ONE small body for this ?
What about 5D mKii that revolutionized this aspect and was bought by tons of people for its video features ?

You are just a couple of self oriented blind people.
There are tons of people out there that want pro video features in a 5D body.

If Canon does not implement 4K + their new Dual autofocus then it is a no go for me and I will have to move to A7R II.

I think one of the real attractive things about the 5DIII is that it is so versatile. I would think Canon would want to continue down that path. But who knows.

The A7RII and A7SII are cameras that I considered. But I understand that the original A7R overheated, thus limiting shooting time. That doesn't work for what I do, which sometimes involves hours of video capture. There are some other anomalies that reviewers have mentioned, so I have been leery about going that way.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
AvTvM said:
- no bigger or heavier than Sony A7R II

Good idea, that way they can sell a heck of a lot of extra batteries plus an adapter each if people want to use their canon glass. That's a blockbuster you've described.

AvTvM said:
and make 'em "pure AF" = no focus ring

Are you serious? What possible advantage could there be to removing manual focus as an option?

In my short couple of months with a camera which satisfies many of your desires (Sony A7R2), I've used MF MORE than AF. Maybe Canon could build a flawless on-sensor AF system that doesn't fail in high-contrast or backlit scenarios and can focus at -6EV, but even then there are valid reasons for a focus ring (not even limited to videography).

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
MaxDiesel said:
Loose the joystick for moving focus points and add some sort of trackpad like on PS4 controllers.

Please, no. That is what I miss the most when I switch between my 5D3 and my A7R2.

You misunderstood, I have a need for an independent focus controller, I don't want it removed I want it evolved. I'm fet up of clicking around with the joystick to find my focus points. If it were and independent non pertruding surface/pad, like on a video game controller. Finding your focus point , scrolling through menus or photographs would be as simple as sliding your thumb around.

That would be an nice evolution of the joystick.

Upvote 0
Realistic expectations:
  • Faster card readers
  • USB 3.0
  • Illuminated AF points
  • 1/2 stop or better improved high ISO performance
  • WiFi + GPS
  • 1080p60
  • If no 4K, at least sharper 1080p
  • Faster flash sync speed
  • Reduced rolling shutter
  • 1-2 stops improved DR

Not holding my breath, but would be great:
  • 4K video
  • 1080p120
  • Integrated flash RT controller
  • 1 stop or more improved high ISO
  • Touch screen
  • Articulating screen
  • Zebras/Focus peaking
  • Video clip limit exceeding 30 minutes

Upvote 0
This is do or die for Canon. MANY people are on the fence right now, waiting if they're going to stay with Canon or switch to another system. Other brands are innovating in major ways. An incremental upgrade is not going to cut it for Canon any longer.

This is what I am looking for in the Mark IV:

-Must have respectable increase in dynamic range over Mark III.
-More AF points with more coverage on the screen (most likely won't happen in the IV)
-Spot metering on AF point (most likely won't happen)
-Improved low light (most likely will happen)
-Built in wifi
-Improved card/storage speeds

Basically, I am expecting Canon to fail with the IV. Fail not because it will be a horrible product but because it will most likely fall short of what the competition is offering.

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
full speed card writing (~250Mbit/sec) allowing continuous shooting in RAW (unless they manage to get the camera to shoot more than about 10fps)

Only 250Mbit/s ??? that would be about 1 RAW picture per second (~30Mbyte/sec).

250Mbyte/sec, now there you'd be talking :)

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Silvertt7 said:
Basically, I am expecting Canon to fail with the IV. Fail not because it will be a horrible product but because it will most likely fall short of what the competition is offering.

So you mean it will fail at market? I kinda doubt it, but time will tell.

What do we expect the Mk IV is competing against, anyway? The D750?

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
I still don’t believe we’re going to see 4K brought to the EOS 5D line, but what sort of videography improvements do people want to see from the EOS 5D Mark IV?

So… iPhones get 4k, GoPro gets 4k, Sony gets 4k, Panasonic gets 4k, TV's get 4k, Computers get 4k.. But the 5DMARK "4" isn't suppose to have 4K? Lets all hope Canon isn't stupid enough to leave that out..

Upvote 0
midluk said:
One of the features I'm missing in my 70D (and I think it should be in any camera) is a voice memo function to add information to images. So you press a button and you can use the internal microphone to record technical details like how you did the lighting or something regarding the image content.

I think you have a better chance finding a $1,000 bill on the way home today than Canon putting in that feature in the IV ;D

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Silvertt7 said:

So you mean it will fail at market? I kinda doubt it, but time will tell.

What do we expect the Mk IV is competing against, anyway? The D750?

No it will not fail at market. Canon can put in the bare minimum in "upgrades" and it will probably still sell very well. The damage will be in what we call "goodwill" in accounting. It's basically reputation and branding. If Canon fails to deliver what the pro enthusiasts have asked for the damage will appear later, not immediately. People will switch systems and demand will slide in future offerings.

Upvote 0