What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

Jan 29, 2011
RobPan said:
My wish list:
1. square format (36x36mm2). (Drawback: makes camera larger and heavier!)

Can't be done with EF lenses. The flange distance doesn't allow for a 45º mirror assembly that goes much, if any, over 24mm. Also the image circle of all but the TS-E's is too small to cover a 36mm square sensor. It is never going to happen.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
RobPan said:
My wish list:

Can't be done with EF lenses. The flange distance doesn't allow for a 45º mirror assembly that goes much, if any, over 24mm. Also the image circle of all but the TS-E's is too small to cover a 36mm square sensor. It is never going to happen.

Got your point. What about mirrorless?

Upvote 0
1) Exposure compensation in M mode. The lack of that particular feature makes me at times want to smash my 5D3.

2) Dynamic range.

That's pretty much my wish list. Or maybe it is the "must list". These things have to be there if they want my money. Then there are of course other things that would be nice to have like a built in RT flash control etc, but yeah... can live without.

The 5D3 has many annoying usability issues on top of the 2 things listed on my short list. For example the fact that AF point selection turns off and constantly needs to be reactivated using the shutter or back button focusing button. The same goes for exposure compensation. "Everything is set, but need to set some compensation... Oh, it's not working. Let me use AF a bit to resurrect the feature..." None of that bs is needed.

A way to toggle between servo and single shot focusing would also be nice. Now the buttong needs to be held down for some retarded reason. And there is also no way to add other features to it. I would for example prefer a single AF spot in single shot mode and the 9 point selection in servo. But nope. Custom modes of course help a bit here, but there is no easy way to toggle between them fast.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
edknuff said:
As a Pro Architectural and Landscape photographer, I'd love to see:

+3 stops in DR You get close to that in the 5DSR, certainly in editability.
40+ MP You get more than that in the 5DSR.
GPS You get with the GP-E2 on the 5DSR.
Improved low-light performance You get that in the 5DSR, especially if you normalise.
Changeable Focus screens You can change the screens in the 5DSR, not officially, but it works fine.
1 percent Spot Meter The 5DSR does 1.3% spot metering.
Built-in intervalometer You got me there, but a $12 option isn't bad.

Lol
Ok there are a few things that irritate me with the 5DIII...but only a few things.
Firstly, while it's great having dual cards, the SD card slot seems to halve the raw burst rate and taking the card out doesn't fix it. I have to de-select the writing to the SD card which buried in the sub menus.
The SD card very slow to write and read. Which is odd because as a format it's equally fast as Compact Flash. I suspect that Canon fitted a lower through put interface on the SD card slot than the CF card slot.
Secondly...why can't I change view finder screens? I can on the 5DII, 6D, 7DII and 1DX. I NEED a fine focus screen.
Lastly...why can't I have an illuminated AF confirmation window in the view finder. In the dark...I can't see which AF point is live.
I'd like to see the AF system have the same face detection in AI servo mode that the 1DX and 5DS/R has....it's really good and a pity that it's missing on the 5DIII.
A few more mega pixels would be welcome but not essential.

I'm wondering if we'll see a pair of 5D4 replacements. One 25mp / 8fps and the other a 50mp / 5fps model.

AF linked metering would be welcome too, not just a spot linked metering. the current metering is great but it's heavily biased to the center. I also find that under tungsten light, the camera meters 1/3 under exposed.

As to the rest of the camera, sure DR and shadow noise could be improved but it's not a deal breaker for me. It's such a well rounded and capable camera. What's not to like about it? Every thing we hoped for was upgraded in the 5DIII from the 5DII. I think the 5D4 can only incrementally improve now.

Upvote 0
eyeland said:
EC in M mode

I still don't fully understand why people ask for this. You are already in M mode. You have full control of your exposure, just change one part of the triangle and you're good. Back in film days that's what you had to do. And in most cases you didn't change the iso, so it was shutter or aperture or you just lived with a sub-optimal meter reading and then corrected in the darkroom. I mean the M is for manual. If you want the camera to compensate for you not doing your part then put it in another mode.

Sorry for being a little cranky

Upvote 0
wyldeguy said:
eyeland said:
EC in M mode

I still don't fully understand why people ask for this. You are already in M mode. You have full control of your exposure, just change one part of the triangle and you're good. Back in film days that's what you had to do. And in most cases you didn't change the iso, so it was shutter or aperture or you just lived with a sub-optimal meter reading and then corrected in the darkroom. I mean the M is for manual. If you want the camera to compensate for you not doing your part then put it in another mode.

It's for when you use auto ISO in M mode. The camera seems to always expose a bit under and if you want to ETTR then you have to keep adjusting the ISO yourself. In a environment where you want control over the aperture AND shutter speed but ISO can be whatever (especially nowadays where high ISO noise seems to be negligible) you can use auto ISO to get the correct exposure but I still prefer to overexposed slightly so EC would tell the camera to use a slightly higher ISO than what it normally would.

In reality though I can easily fix this digitally in post but it's nice to get the exposure right in camera.

Upvote 0
What do we want as videographers? For Canon to give us a successor to the 5D system we heavily invested in, with similar capability to the market, that's it.

We need a 5D that shoots better video quality than the MKIII and similar resolution to A7s/GH4 but with the Canon colours and overall ecosystem. A few video oriented features after resolution/IQ are mandatory, thing to help us focus (peaking for manual and DPAF for auto), to help us get exposure, zebras/waveform/RGB Histogram in video mode, intervalometer for timelapse, a Flat LOG profile (C-Log), clean HDMI uncompressed out...

these are all features given by the competition so unless they abandon the DSLR-Video movement they'll be forced to give them too. No question. Either in a MKIV or a 5Dc.

The 1Dc is already the best image out there in any DSLR/Mirrorless, just unrivaled resolution, colours, codec, DR, lowlight, filmic organic C-LOG, C300-identical s35 mode, so make that image into a 5D size body with these small firmware features and it will take the market by storm.

A flip-out LCD would be wanted by us, but we'd respect that one downside if it's for photographers' 5D robustness (trust me the 5D/7D is MUCH stronger than all the flip-out cameras out-there like the a7rII, GH4, so there is currently a correlation, don't be fooled into evaluating a cameras rigidty by the word weather-sealed in the spec-sheet, but hey, I'd love it if Canon could maintain the 7D/5D strength and implement a movable LCD, perhaps an only-tilt one is a good compromise between the reliance on the tiny hinge and full body integration, anyway I'd respect as videographer if it doesn't have it in a photography-oriented 5DIV, on a 5DC, no I wouldn't respect it)

Upvote 0
I keep asking this question but why the f*** does everyone want a video centric 5Dmk4 that uses a stills camera style body & ergonomics? - surely they'd be better making a full frame 'C' series body at a 5D price point, at least that's been ergonomically designed to be used for video.

Anyway things I'd like in a 5D4......

Bigger buffer
1DX style metering
Resolution is fine as is
Cleaner images at higher ISO's with better DR (DR isn't a deal breaker though)
Larger AF point coverage area
Built in flash radio transmitter
EVF (never going to happen)
Facebook App ;D

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
RobPan said:
privatebydesign said:
RobPan said:
My wish list:

Got your point. What about mirrorless?

I guess in theory, with a mirrorless 36X36, you could use something like a teleconverter to grow the image circle, at the cost of light.

Still, that's about as likely as the 5D4 shipping with an iphone6 sensor.

Upvote 0
For me I'd immediately buy it if it has spot metering linked to AF point and improved DR. Faster flash sync would also be a bonus. Also I'd want the MP kept reasonable. Already work flow is slower with the 5DSR, and clearing the buffer when filling it is already slow enough. I'm not bothered about 4k at all, but I only use my DSLR's for stills. I'm sure they'll include 4K shooting with a limited choice of frame rates though, to differentiate between the cinema line.

Upvote 0
krautland said:
The other thing I desire is Wifi-enabled remote shooting/file reviewing using iOS devices. again, look to GoPro and their iOS app. An iPad screen would be a delight to use when shooting and would enable me to leave the tethering cable and the mac at home on many days.
I agree that built in WiFi would be nice for this. Have you tried the CamRanger? This works works very well and adds several features that are not native to the 5DIII.
Yes, it is a relatively expensive accessory but solves the issue you state, and does it well.

http://camranger.com/

Upvote 0
I shoot both still and video with the 5D Mark III, and I think Canon will be shooting themselves in the foot if 4K and the Dual Pixel Auto Focus (or some other video auto focus) isn't put into the 5DM4. Will almost every single new camera being developed having 4K, including the new iPhone, it would be a huge hit for Canon. They need to future-proof their cameras, at least for the next couple of years, and they're starting to really fall behind with not leading the pack. Having a greater dynamic range would also be a no-brainer. The GoPro Hero black has Pro-Tune for it's video, which gives the video a neutral color and gives editors the ability to go in and tweak the colors with professional tools, and a similar option should also be available. If I'm asked to pay $3,500-4,000 for a camera body alone, it better have all these features, otherwise I will begin to look elsewhere.

Wifi would also be fantastic. I know there are issues with the Magnesium body, but let's make it happen. Every camera has them now.

A swivel screen... Why do they not put these in ALL cameras? The get really high shots or low angle shots, it's fantastic. I had to downgrade and buy a 70D to be able to have this, but then you're sacrificing so much image quality for that one feature.

A touch screen for quick auto-focus would also be great, however, it's not a deal breaker.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I want to see all the features of the 7DII with a full frame DPAF sensor at about 24mp that incorporates the significant high ISO noise improvements we've already seen in the 7DII and 5Ds.

A touch screen and usable internet connectivity would be a bonus. Internal AFMA utilizing DPAF technology would be a double bonus.

I may be in the minority, but I fully expect to see 4K video capability. Not an item of high priority for me, but I expect to see it because I think Canon is feeling competitive pressure to provide 4K.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
Canon Rumors said:
The replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III is going to have some very big shoes to fill and cannot be an incremental improvement of the affordable workhorse of the Canon lineup. The EOS 5D Mark IV has to be a revolutionary upgrade in performance, or people may start looking elsewhere for a camera body solution. I do believe the entire market is waiting to see what Canon does with the EOS 5D Mark IV.

This is the kind of BS that non techno-geeks hate. Unless, of course, you are working for Sony or Nikon. There has never been a revolutionary upgrade in performance of any DSLR. All the upgrades have been incremental. Basic physics has told us this for years. If Canon continues to make extremely reliable and high-quality cameras, then there is no reason not to buy the 5D mark IV. I fell for all the techno-geek talk about the Sony A7's - how far ahead of Canon Sony has risen. Unless, of course, you take normal photos under normal conditions where the extra DR is not even noticeable. I wanted to replace my 6D with the A7 II, but the Canon was better in pretty much all aspects that I cared about.

Yes, people will start looking elsewhere if sites like this continue to perpetuate the techno-geek attitude that all that matters is test results and lots of bells and whistles that end up not mattering when you actually take photos. Yes, 9 fps must be so much better than 8 fps although in real life it will never make a difference. 28 MP must be so much better than 24 MP although no one would ever notice the difference. 14 stops of DR are so much better than 12 stops although it real life shooting you'll never notice the difference.

I have no loyalty to Canon. My first 35mm camera was an Olympus OM-1 - so that is the only camera company that I have a soft spot for. When I have bought cameras in the past (as recently as 2 years ago) I compared brands and bought the camera that I thought had the best IQ, as well as the one I thought had the most consistent and reliable exposures. When I buy my next camera those will be the most important criteria, too. It is highly unlikely that Canon will need to be "revolutionary" or make major changes in order to compete.

But Canon will continue to lose customers as long as the techno-geeks are driving the conversation. I'm sure they are thinking that they are trying to save Canon by forcing changes. Instead they are driving people away.

or maybe YOU are the techno-geek since you don't maybe spend enough time in the real world hitting up scenarios where 66 vs 8fps or 12 stops vs 14.5 stops can make a difference

BTW, it wasn't techno geeks who ever brought up fps and DR and so on, it was people shooting in the field noticing things....

anyway listen not everyone needs the DR or the fps or this or that, but no need to get into the name calling nonsense

Upvote 0
wyldeguy said:
eyeland said:
EC in M mode

He means EC in M mode IN AutoISO mode.
You are not in total control of the final exposure in AutoISO even in M mode.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
really hoping that Canon finally starts offering two 5D models. 5D (for stills, only minimalistic video) and 5DC [totally video-centric, with "stills possible"] ... just like 1DX/1DC or Sony a7/R/II vs. A7S. And yes, with similar pricing differential like between 1DX and 1DC ... up to 100%

Good video can bring a lot of sales.

And 100% more for a 5DC, 100%? What $8000? All that will happen is that would sell like a turkey and the non-C 5D would get less sales too and the price would go even higher for the 5D line so wouldn't everybody lose?

Upvote 0