What is a focusing screen??

Jul 21, 2010
neurorx said:
I do research, not as much as I like to as they tend to put you in more administrative jobs when you get older.

I know, right? *sigh*

neurorx said:
I am still nervously awaiting the return on my babies.... ;D :-\ hoping that all is ok with both of them.

Is it just me or does everyone experience separation anxiety when they give their gear into be cleaned or repaired?

Haven't had occasion. There have been only two times I needed anything serviced. One was my EOS M which stopped working for no apparent reason; Canon's product-fixed repair cost is based on the regular retail pricing (not the fire-sale discounted price), it was actually the same price to buy a new one, or $20 more to buy an M2 so I opted for the latter. The other occasion was the recall on the 1D X for the mirror box fix, and I avoided the need for that separation anxiety by taking the camera in person to the Jamesburg repair center on a day-trip business to NJ, and they appleid the fix (and cleaned the sensor) in under an hour while I waited.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Well I received my 5DIII back today and my 24-70mm F2.8 was acting as a paper weight for it. No paper or cushion separating the two. Both totally non functional now 3 weeks later. I couldn't believe Canon repair service would ever pack gear this way. I opened the box and my camera was face down with the lens laying on top of it. So it could freely smack up and down in the box. I had a working camera and a soft lens they asked to confirm
a pairing issue. Pictures show one piece of paper on the outside and nothing protecting the lens and camera.
Now the camera and lens don't work at all and the lens makes a weird noise.
Now our family trip to Europe won't have the pictures. Everyone here knows how to treat their gear...I can't believe Canon would have such poor customer service.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
California....I asked about that and the Manager John couldn't offer it. They gave me a FedEx label to resend it but won't get there until Thurs or Friday. I'm not hopeful.

I couldn't beleive it when I opened the package.

I don't know now given the history of this if I would trust the lens and camera at this point.

The original issue was variable autofocus with this single lens. My other Lenses are tack sharp. I sent it to Canon and they returned and asked to check the lens and camera combo. They didn't test together and then were sending the two back and charged for the camera...camera was working perfectly. Quoted on their response but I got a 253
Bill that they said they waived. Today when the package arrived I tried both and weird click with the lens and then nothing.
Then the camera no lens will autofocus at all or engage the lens.
There was
Finger prints on the mirror and supposedly the camera was cleaned.

I'm shocked at the customer service.
I'm not sure I'll trust the camera
At this point as being reliable as the service has been lacking.

Upvote 0