What kind of photographer are you?

GuyF said:
Okay, not sure if this is a "tribe" but I wonder how many of us are members or would secretly like to be:

"The Ego Massage-ist" - this slightly above average amateur knows they're quite skilled but that they will never be truly good enough to pack in their job and go pro. In order to massage their ego, they spend £100 or more, producing a beautifully crafted one-off book of their work simply to sit on their shelves next to works by world famous names.

Whilst I'm guilty of wanting to see my best shots in book form, I just can't bring myself to do it as all I hear in my head is, "ego! ego! ego! who are you trying to kid!! ah, but it would be quite nice and.....etc.".

That's actually my whole goal at the moment. I see nothing wrong with creating a coffee table book for my own house. I'm just starting to put my prints on the wall and I feel that will remind me to keep creating content and motivate me to do better. As someone who's very shy and doesn't like self promotion I feel like a coffee table book is a lovely addition to a house.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
benperrin said:
GuyF said:
Okay, not sure if this is a "tribe" but I wonder how many of us are members or would secretly like to be:

"The Ego Massage-ist" - this slightly above average amateur knows they're quite skilled but that they will never be truly good enough to pack in their job and go pro. In order to massage their ego, they spend £100 or more, producing a beautifully crafted one-off book of their work simply to sit on their shelves next to works by world famous names.

Whilst I'm guilty of wanting to see my best shots in book form, I just can't bring myself to do it as all I hear in my head is, "ego! ego! ego! who are you trying to kid!! ah, but it would be quite nice and.....etc.".

That's actually my whole goal at the moment. I see nothing wrong with creating a coffee table book for my own house. I'm just starting to put my prints on the wall and I feel that will remind me to keep creating content and motivate me to do better. As someone who's very shy and doesn't like self promotion I feel like a coffee table book is a lovely addition to a house.
I printed off a coffee table book of my best work.... I put it on the coffee table.... the cat threw up on it... everyone's a critic :)

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
benperrin said:
As someone who's very shy and doesn't like self promotion I feel like a coffee table book is a lovely addition to a house.

Yup, I'm quite similar. I don't have a website even though colleagues say I should do one. My response is that as a complete amateur, why should I clog up the web with stuff that I'm not bothered about showing to others? Also I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of creating one. I take pics purely for my own amusement and to get me out of the house. I only post a shot on this site now and again to either illustrate what can be done with, say, a particular lens if someone has raised a question about it or if it is of something a bit different - such as the pic I posted of the Aston Martin DB10.

I buy books of collections by pro photographers and do think a glossy book of my own stuff would be pretty nice to have alongside them but just can't bring myself to do it. Perhaps one day!

Hope your book turns out okay!

Upvote 0