What lenses do you own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) What lenses do you own and why do you love/hate each of them?

1100D and...

Canon EF 50mm 1.8II:

My first lens ever cuz its a prime (never liked zoom even in my P&S days). image quality is good and it was cheap. Build quality isnt so important for me. I hate nothing about it except the lens hood makes it look like 50% bigger and not so small anymore.

Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 m42:

I found out my 50mm 1.8 can be quite narrow on my aps-c body and sometimes i just needed more area to work with. I dont got a lot of money so i thought well, why dont just buy an older lens which is way cheaper and totally made out of metal? So i browsed ebay and found one in nearly mint condition.
Hate nothing about it so far except its really a pain in the ass to focus well with my 1100D :) I got no AF confirm adapter, perhaos i should change that. Any recommendations?

2) How long have you been into photography?

Well just 4 months if i start counting from the moment i got a DSLR. But i always enjoyed photography before when i just had a P&S. In Holidays i used to do long exposure photography and free hand panoramas with my Finepix F10. It didnt turn out too awesome but that days i was already wanting more than just snapshotting randomly. I could feel the potential there is in photography or something like this. So imho im a photographer a long time already but "serious" with a DSLR just 4 months.

3) Any random tips for a noob like myself?

Enjoy what u do and dont get caught up in too much technical stuff.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

@Happy Viking
Sigma 10-20 (shitty lens, i know i own it, but have no idea where it is...)

Maybe you got a bad sample? what don't you like about it. I owned the variable aperture version of this lens and actually quite liked it. Sold it when I got the 12-24 (was still shooting film a bit) and sold that when I got the 11-16 tokina.

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
Razor2012 said:
Dylan777 said:
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
OK, this is much like group therapy! I know its a problem and I'm working on it. HA!

Currently:
Canon 16-35 II
Canon 24 TSE II
Canon 24-105
Canon 40 STM
Canon 50 1.2L
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 85L II
Canon 100 2.8L
Canon 135L
Canon 70-200L II
Canon 70-300L
Canon 100-400L
Canon 200 2.8L II
Zeiss 35 2.0
Zeiss 50 1.4
Zeiss 50 2.0
Zeiss 85 1.4
Zeiss 100 2.0 (new)
Zeiss 100 2.0 (used, ready to sell if anyone is interested)

My long term goal is to use or own all of Canon's lenses and keep the ones I like best and sell the others.

There, I feel better now. Thanks!

How often do you use them? ;D ;D ;D

Holy...Markoe you've got half of Canon's inventory there, lol.
Hi Razor,

That's a good question and honestly, I carry no more than six or seven at a time. I have two bags with landscape tools and two bags with portrait tools. Its much like woman and their purses and shoes, there is just never enough.....and boy am I going to hear it on that one. We all have our vices don't we? Kids have toys....
I'm currently in the process of selling a few of these now.

Upvote 0
That's a good question and honestly, I carry no more than six or seven at a time. I have two bags with landscape tools and two bags with portrait tools. Its much like woman and their purses and shoes, there is just never enough.....and boy am I going to hear it on that one. We all have our vices don't we? Kids have toys....
[/quote]

=)

I use the shoes/bags argument to my advantage since she has a ton of both already. I fear I'll have to buy her a new Louis Vuitton soon though to offset the 35L. I don't think the LV wallet was enough hahahaha.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
LostArk said:
Canon 24-70 f/2.8L - Only ever used it at 24 and 50, so I'd just as soon use primes. I find this lens boring, heavy, and pointless. I will never understand its popularity.

Versatility and convenience. Think about how many shots you could miss swapping back and forth. I was never a big fan of the 24-70, but plenty of people swear by it. Now if the 24-70 II is as sharp as the 70-200 II I'll probably pick one up.

Upvote 0
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
Razor2012 said:
Dylan777 said:
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
OK, this is much like group therapy! I know its a problem and I'm working on it. HA!

Currently:
Canon 16-35 II
Canon 24 TSE II
Canon 24-105
Canon 40 STM
Canon 50 1.2L
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 85L II
Canon 100 2.8L
Canon 135L
Canon 70-200L II
Canon 70-300L
Canon 100-400L
Canon 200 2.8L II
Zeiss 35 2.0
Zeiss 50 1.4
Zeiss 50 2.0
Zeiss 85 1.4
Zeiss 100 2.0 (new)
Zeiss 100 2.0 (used, ready to sell if anyone is interested)

My long term goal is to use or own all of Canon's lenses and keep the ones I like best and sell the others.

There, I feel better now. Thanks!

How often do you use them? ;D ;D ;D

Holy...Markoe you've got half of Canon's inventory there, lol.
Hi Razor,

Lol I hear ya, but at least you use all of your lenses and they're not just sitting there collecting dust. ;)

Upvote 0
AudioGlenn said:

=)

I use the shoes/bags argument to my advantage since she has a ton of both already. I fear I'll have to buy her a new Louis Vuitton soon though to offset the 35L. I don't think the LV wallet was enough hahahaha.
[/quote]

Heh, if you buy her a Loius Vuitton or a Gucci you'll be good for a 1DX. ;D ;)

Upvote 0
Zenit 15mm Fisheye
Canon 17-40mm f4 L
Canon 24-105mm f4 L IS
Nikon 45mm f2.8 GN pancake (so freaking sharp)
Canon 50mm mk1 f1.8
Olympus 50mm f3.5 Macro
Nikon 50mm f1.4
Canon 70-200mm f4 L
Contax 135mm f2.8
Nikon 180mm f2.8
Lensbaby Composer

These are the lenses that I actually use. I also own a bunch of classic manual focus lenses from Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax. I have a collection of classic cameras including a meter-less Nikon F, Nikon Ftn, Nikomat, Nikkormat, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, and Minox. One sweet thing about being a Canon shooter is that you can get adapters for almost any lens out there other than Minolta.

I got started with the best Christmas present ever when I was 14 and opened up a Minolta Srt 101. I got a 28mm and 135mm lenses later and have never looked back.

My advice -- gear just makes more things possible but it does not make, nor improve your ability to be a photographer. I have a set of images that I printed at 8x10 shot with a 1mp epson digital camera. The camera was a piece of crap, but people buy the photos.

Upvote 0
Past:

EF-m
EOS 5
EOS 50D
Sinar 4x5 with lens and polaroid back

ef 15/2.8
ef 24/2.8 (Talk about Sh1t)
ef 50/1.4
ef 85/1.8
ef 100/2
ef 200/2.8L
ef 35-80 4/5.6 (kit with ef-m)

Present:

5D3-----My First full frame camera.

8-15 f4 Fisheye-----Got to have a fisheye, great fun.
24/1.4LII-----This has the unique wide angle look and shallow DOF
35/1.4L-----I used as a "normal" on a crop camera (what a mistake). Now it's my awesome wide angle lens.
50/1.2L-----I "uped" one from the 50/1.4. The 50L much better bokeh and better build over the 1.4 version.
100/2.8 macro (Got this before the L version existed)-----It's a macro, need I say more?
200/2L-----Bokeh. I don't bird or shoot sports (200 too short for 90% of birding), this is the ultimate lens for people, landscape, and of course bokeh.

Future: (maybe)

14/2.8II
20/1.8L
14-24/2.8L
85/1.2II

Upvote 0
charlesa said:
Kind of lame since most people have them listed in their signature anyways :-X

but you're missing the point. there's more to the topic. I'd like to know what the users like/dislike about their lenses. sure it's a broad question. I'm not just looking for the list of lenses but some thoughts regarding them. If you actually read the original posting, you'd understand this. If you don't think you have the time to contribute, why respond at all?

Upvote 0
I

iohansen

Sigma:
15mm 2.8 Fisheye - Fun lens, but has to be used sparingly and with care, good quality images
Canon:
50mm 1.4 - fast lens, unfortunately rarely used except in low light, build is so-so.
16-35mm 2.8 I L - used mostly for architecture and landscape, a bit soft in the corners but provides good images, constant companion when traveling
TS-E 24mm 3.5 II L - very sharp, excellent at architecture
24-105mm 4.0 IS L - good all-round lens, reasonably sharp, constant companion when traveling
MP-E 65mm 2.8 - dedicated macro, sharp but difficult to use, must have adequate lighting, e.g. MT-24EX
70-200mm 4.0 L - sharp, but now rarely used as it for my part is superseded by the 70-300 (should sell it)
70-200mm 2.8 IS L I - sharp, very good lens, excellent images
70-300mm 4.0-5.6 IS L - although not that fast it is very sharp, constant companion when traveling
100 Macro 2.8 IS L - very sharp, very good lens, excellent images
100-400m 4.5-5.6 IS L - although a bit slow it is quite sharp, pump action not as bad as many are wont to say also in my experience not a dust pump
135mm 2 L - very sharp and excellent images
300mm 2.8 IS L - very sharp and excellent images although a bit heavy
TC1.4x II, TC2.0x II
5D3, 5D, 3 (Film)

Been on it since 1986.

Upvote 0
T

TheJanster

I am using a 60D (upgraded from 350D). I started photographing for real about 6 years ago...

My lenses:

15-85 EF-S: my most used shoot everything lense; I love how wide 15mm is - all skyscrapers in Shanghai actually fit into the frame; it could have a little more contrast or pop but DXO fixes that most of the time; I miss a zoom lock switch especially when shooting upwards on a tripod

70-300 IS USM (non-L): some of my best shots (mostly portaits of the kids) I shot at 70mm F4 with this lense (beautiful color and sharp!); could be sharper at the long end

100 F2.0 Makro (non-L): just recently bought; great sharpness not just for Makro shots

50 F1.4: beautiful color and great sharpness from about f 2.8

Lensebaby composer: Great fun and a good way to learn about photography; I cut some apertures myself for cool bokeh effects

I no longer use Sigma 18-200 (slow and not very sharp but versatile and affordable at the time) which replaced the 18-55 kit lens after about a year.

Upvote 0
I shot Nikon from 1980-2004. Switched to Canon in April 2004 when the 1D2 came out. My current lenses are...

24/1.4L II
50/1.4
100/2.8L Macro
300/2.8L IS II
17-40/4L
24-105/4L IS
70-200/2.8L IS II
1.4x II
2.0x III

My next purchases are mainly updating/replacing lenses...

Replace the 17-40/4 with a 16-35/2.8L II
Replace the 24-205/4 IS with a 24-70/2.8L II
Replace the 50/1.4 with a 50/1.2L (when a version II comes out)
Replace the 1.4x II with a 1.4x III

Upvote 0
I group my lenses together. I have many lenses, because I shoot a lot of different things over a wide variety of situations. However, I am becoming more specialized in my photography, so I will likely sell a lot of my shorter focal length lenses:

16-35L, 24L, 35L: This group is fun to take on not necessarily landscape photography, but scenery photography, especially in Pennsylvania where we like to go, or out west, etc. Compared to my 24L and 35L, I don't really like the IQ of the 16-35L, but I like the shorter focal length flexibility.
50 primes (own the 50L, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, over several years of accumulation :)): Just a great, convenient focal length for any type of shooting situation. A 50 always goes in my bag as a backup lens.
85L: Excellent lens at all apertures, for just about everything. Love it.
100 f/2: Indoor sports lens. Love it.
24-105L: Good general walkabout lens. I have good enough glass however, that I can say this is my lowest IQ-wise performing lens. Dislike it.
135L: Indoor sports lens, portrait lens. Love it!
180L: macro lens, my only macro lens, and will never sell it. I absolutely love it.
200 f/2L: Amazing lens for anything, including indoor sports, flattering portraits. CANON'S BEST LENS.
300 f/2.8L: Must have for me, sports lens.
400 f/2.8L: Must have for me, sports lens.
100-400L: I like the versatility, but don't use it much. Will likely sell it.
70-200L: My everything lens, mainly sports on the 1D Mark IV but love it for everything! CANON'S BEST ZOOM LENS.

I will most likely purchase a 24-70L II lens. When I do that, I am selling the 35L, 50L, and 24-105L lenses. I am also going to sell the 100-400L zoom lens. If I feel I need to go more specialized for sports yet, I can sell my 85L and use an 85 1.8 if I want to. I'm still working this out.

Future purchases will include the 600L II lens, as well as any future 200-400L zoom lens, if it's at least f/4 or wider.

Upvote 0
EF 15 f2.8 = small... Great for night and stars

EF 8-15 f4 L = fun fun fun fun lens

EF 24 L f1.4 = wonderful in low light, group of people, parties, etc

TS-E 24 L II = amazing for architecture and landsacape.

TS-E 45 = love it for time lapse and architecture.

TS-E 90 = wonderful for product photography and macro.

EF 85 L 1.2 II = amazing for portraits

EF 50 L 1.2 = a wonderful normal lens. Always with me.

EF 16-35 L 2.8 II = versatile wide zoom, great quality. Use it a lot for landscape HDR

EF 100 Macro IS f2.8 = a very good macro, very fast focusing and not only for macro.

EF 180 f3.5 Macro. = the one I always use for my waterdrops macro shots

MP-E 65 f2.8 = best macro lens for insects. Period.

EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II = everything. From semi macro to walk around lens

EF 24-105 F 4 = not sure why I have not sold it yet.. Came with the 5D MKII. It's good... But not use it that much

Sigma 120-300 f2.8 and tons of extra letter I never remember = birds with a 1.2 and 2 x extender.

Something else but I can remember what.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.