What lenses do you own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
victorwol said:
EF 15 f2.8 = small... Great for night and stars

EF 8-15 f4 L = fun fun fun fun lens

EF 24 L f1.4 = wonderful in low light, group of people, parties, etc

TS-E 24 L II = amazing for architecture and landsacape.

TS-E 45 = love it for time lapse and architecture.

TS-E 90 = wonderful for product photography and macro.

EF 85 L 1.2 II = amazing for portraits

EF 50 L 1.2 = a wonderful normal lens. Always with me.

EF 16-35 L 2.8 II = versatile wide zoom, great quality. Use it a lot for landscape HDR

EF 100 Macro IS f2.8 = a very good macro, very fast focusing and not only for macro.

EF 180 f3.5 Macro. = the one I always use for my waterdrops macro shots

MP-E 65 f2.8 = best macro lens for insects. Period.

EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II = everything. From semi macro to walk around lens

EF 24-105 F 4 = not sure why I have not sold it yet.. Came with the 5D MKII. It's good... But not use it that much

Sigma 120-300 f2.8 and tons of extra letter I never remember = birds with a 1.2 and 2 x extender.

Something else but I can remember what.

Wow. That's it?

Upvote 0
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
cwild said:
Canon 16-35 F2.8 L - Great landscape lens, always either in my bag or on my camera
Canon 24-70 F2.8 L - Not impressed with it, will probably be selling it soon, hardly ever gets used
Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake - Love it. Goes everywhere with me
Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS II - A superb lens, but a bit heavy.
Canon 400mm F5.6 L - Sharp wide open, a superb wildlife lens and light enough to travel with easily

Leica 35-70 F4 R - My 'Go to' landscape lens. I find the images it produces to be far nicer than the 24-70 L
Leica 90mm F2 R - Superb for portraits, I just wish it had AF!

Canon Eos 5D iii, I sold the 1D iV because even shooting wildlife I found myself prefering the 5d

Please tell me more about the Leica 35-70 lens. Which adapter?
There is a review of the lens here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=596615

I use the latest Leitax "10 hole bayonet" adapter with the AF confirmation chip available here: http://www.leitax.com/Leica-lens-for-Canon-cameras.html - Older adapters cause the 5Diii to error when they attach, but the Leitax one works fine.

I owned the Leitz 35-70 on a Leica R8 prior to getting into digital photography and sold it in order to buy the 24-70. Regretted it soon after I sold it as I just prefer the images it produces compared to the 24-70, so I ended up buying another recently. Since I bought it I haven't used the 24-70.

Upvote 0
In my current bag:
EF 16-35 2.8L II: my landscape tool
EF 24-105 4L IS: allrounder
EF 50 1.4: been with me for over a decade, still like it
EF 70-200 2.8L IS II: my favorite, great for playing kids
EF 85 1.2L II: most recent acquisition, bought it for the bokeh, not easy to use though
EF 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS: this lens has seen a lot of the world, mostly wildlife use
Sigma 180 3.5 macro: my least used lens, still pretty good though

I also have the EF-S 10-22; EF-S 17-85 which I used on my previous body (30D, upgraded to 5D3 this spring), still need to put them up for sale.

On my wish list (in order of desire):
EF 400 2.8L IS II: out of my budget, but so desirable!
TS-E 17 4L: for extra sharpness in landscapes and architecture (city trips)
EF 8-15: seems like fun, not sure if I would use it a lot though
EF 40 2.8: just as a nice to have; have shot with it and impressive results for such a tiny lens
EF 100 2.8L IS macro: as a potential for the Sigma 180 to increase hand usability

Upvote 0
charlesa said:
AudioGlenn said:
charlesa said:
Kind of lame since most people have them listed in their signature anyways :-X

but you're missing the point. there's more to the topic. I'd like to know what the users like/dislike about their lenses. sure it's a broad question. I'm not just looking for the list of lenses but some thoughts regarding them. If you actually read the original posting, you'd understand this. If you don't think you have the time to contribute, why respond at all?

Stop flaming dimwit. Asking what lenses you have is asking a hundred people what food they eat, everyone has different taste leading to completely different outcome with no discernible use for the data you generate.... but anyways, gear collectors will always be gear collectors. Photography is not how many lenses you have but how you see the light and the subject.

Thank you for that inspiring verse. I almost had to reach for tissues, as it was nearly as beautiful as reading Keats on a warm summer evening, sipping red wine by a calm fire.

Because the OP wants to know. The neat thing about this board is that he CAN ask these questions if he wants to. If you don't like a particular thread, ignore it. Simple.

Upvote 0
Canon EF 24-105 f/4 - decent general performer.
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II - Beautiful lens
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 - Good for the crops, but due to be replaced.
Canon Teleconverter 1.4 III - adds length to my 70-200.
Zeiss ZE 21mm f/2.8 - Awesome landscape walk-around.

In the queue
Zeiss ZE 100mm Makro f/2 - For super sharp landscapes needing length.
Zeiss ZE 15mm Distagon f/2.8 - Edge-to-Edge sharp.
Canon TS-E 17mm - maybe.
Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II maybe... but I may also just go for a 35mm or 50mm prime.
Something long (400+) in the Canon line.

My direction is toward sharper the better.

Upvote 0
Canon 8-15mm L - my fun lens
Walimex/Samyang 14mm - i like it
Canon 17-40mm L - my standard lens
Walimex/Samyang 35mm - sharper than the Canon L, but with manual focus
Canon 40mm - small, light and fast
Canon 50mm 1.8 - backup
Canon 50mm 1.4 - i like to go out with just this lens
Canon 70-200mm L f 4.0 is - the perfect travel-zoom
Canon 85mm 1.8 - nice for portraits
Canon 100mm L - my macro lens
Lensbaby Composer pro with all optics - for creativity

Next on my list:
Canon 135mm L
Canon 24mm L II
Canon 50mm L

Just sold:
24-105mm L - i didn't used it much

Cameras:
5D Mark II
5D Mark III

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Hi all...

Here's my 2 cents worth:

Current lenses: (in order of current frequency of use, most used first, least used last)
- Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - Default lens on my 7D. Very versatile zoom range. Sharp & contrasty at all focal lengths. Above average build quality. Good bokeh. Very useful 4-stop IS.
- Canon EF 70-300mm L f/4-5.6 IS USM - very sharp, also at 300mm wide open. Quick, accurate USM AF great on my 7D for birds in flight, etc. Built like a tank. Very hand holdable esp with 4 stop IS.
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM - great macro lens, awesome detail at 1:1, great bokeh, good working length. Nice for subject isolation @ f/2.8. Hand-holdable for tele-portraits in decent light.
- Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM EX - great for ultrawide shots - 95% of time used @ 10mm. Good sharpness & contrast corner to corner. Bit of a focus issue at times which I overcome using manual focus.
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - I occasionally use it on my Canon 350D when I want a light & non-intrusive DSLR pacakge. I might give this away sometime in the future.

Former lenses (which I've now sold - loosing a bit of money on each, but I used each for some years, so I'm ok with that)
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - my previously most used lens until I got the Canon 15-85mm. I had a decent copy (quite sharp & contrasty at most settings).
- Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM - good IQ at wide end. Low contast & not sharp from 180ish till worst at 300mm. USM focus fast & consistent. Lack of IS = hand-holding issue.
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mk II - decent images possible with right settings. Unreliable, slow AF (even on 7D) is its downfall. Sharp from f/2.5, very sharp @ f/4 to f/8. Poor bokeh though.

Dream lens to complete my kit.
- new Canon EF 50-70mm USM fast prime: ideally f/1.4 - f/1.8. USM focus a priority (or STM as a possibility). IS would be a bonus, if it doesn't add too much weight & cost.
This lens must have great IQ (sharp, contrasty, low CA) & smooth bokeh wide open for me to consider it. I would use it for low light photography, subject isolation & of course portraits.
The current Canon 50mm f/1.4 doesn't have the IQ wide open I want, nor true USM.
I find the Canon 85mm f/1.8 both a bit too long focal length and it has noticably annoying CA wide open. I realise CA can be corrected in post, but I'd prefer it absent in original photos.
I've read of too many AF issues with Sigma's 50mm f/1.4 for me to consider it. Apart from that, it looks an awesome lens at a good price. While I can MF, I really want great AF in such a lens.

There you go!!! 8)

Regards,

Paul

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
I have been shooting for about 5 years. I started because of my other hobby of aquariums. I started with a Kodak EasyShare Z730. I moved up to a Canon PowerShot SX20IS about a year later and now Have an EOS Rebel T3i that I got this May. I still have the other 2 cameras. The Kodak I will give away to anyone who wants a camera. I will probably keep the SX20IS for top down shots of the aquariums until I can get an acrylic top down box for the T3i that works.

My lenses are:

EF-s 10-22 I got this for the possible landscape and unique perspective it has with very close shots.

EF-s 17-55 2.8L bought for indoor usage with aquariums. Great IQ and my main lens.

EF-s 18-55 IS kit lens that came with the camera and will most likely sell. It does shoot very well for its price.

EF 50 F/1.4 bought for its fast speed and for low light situations.

EF-s 55-250 IS came with the camera as part of the kit and will most likely sell. It does shoot very well for its price.

EF 100 2.8 macro bought for close ups of the animals in my aquariums. Great IQ in my experience.

EF 70-300 IS bought for the length to replace the 55-250 and plan to sell with the kits lenses to get the L version of this lens or the 100-400L. It does have a little better IQ than the 55-250 but does fall off after 200 as noted by all.

Learn all you can about your camera and lenses and then put it to use with all lens in as many situations as you can to find their limitations for usage. Get whatever lens you want and have a blast with it.

Upvote 0
Here's my kit for shooting video with the 5DmkII & 60D:

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - General use lens for the 60D
Canon 50mm f/1.4 - Because everyone needs a 50mm. Great for interviews (head and shoulders with the 60D or for a pulled back shot with the 5D.
Canon 85mm f/1.8 - Great for interviews on the 60D or 5D, and at wedding receptions for the speeches.
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L - My favorite lens. I use it for everything from interviews (usually as a tighter 2nd angle) to sports, weddings (CU's at the ceremony, detail shots during prep, photoshoot & dances, reaction shots during speeches) and product shots.
Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 OS - For sports. Nice and sharp right through to 500mm, but lacklustre AF. This isn't an issue for video though.

On the way soon:

Canon 100mm f/2.8 Marco
- For the Macro, obviously, and as an extra telephoto lens during wedding ceremonies.
Canon 24-105 f/4L IS - As a general purpose lens for the 5DmkII
Canon 28mm f/1.8 - As a wide lens for wedding receptions.

What I'm currently drooling over:

400mm f/2.8L IS II - For sports
16-35 f/2.8L II - For steadycam work with the 5D - I'd need a new glidecam though, my current one can't handle much more than the 60D with the 17-50mm.
24L, 50L, 85L - Just because of that damn addictive "L" in their name. Realistically though, my current primes are more than adequate.

Upvote 0
20/2.8 - good for landscape, too slow for indoor, not good wide open
24/2.8 - nice lens, sharp, too long for crop, too slow for indoor, slow AF (sold)
28/1.8 - excellent for indoor at f/2.2 - 4.0, poor for landscape
50/1.8 - excellent, but tiny AF ring, poor for macro (sold)
85/1.8 - excellent at all range, my work horse, using for macro with nikon close-up 3T/4T, too long on crop bodies for indoor
100 macro - slow AF, unusable for portrait (sold)
24-70L - excellent wide open, too big for me (sold).

I dream about new 50 IS, for indoor and video.

Upvote 0
24-70 f2,8 L USM

Tamron 55-200 old one only 100€ debt

I´ll buy a new tele but which one I don´t know yet, i get a gift from girlfriend for an event called "Masters of Dirt" and I know from friends that there is no much light, i know my 7D peform for me well at least ISO 800 and what i also know is that i want a lightstrong tele but what I don´t know is up to 200 or 300 what do you guys think?

Upvote 0
P

payamdash

Canon 24-70/2.8 - Great Lens for all purpose, i use it for family as my walk around lens
Canon 135/2 - just got this, AMAZING lens, i have played with a lot of lenses, and this lens is truly incredibly sharp. can't say enough about it
Canon 50/1.8 - used indoor or night for video only
Canon 40/2.8 - i'm impressed with this lens, i think it is sharper and better color reproduction than 50/1.4 and 50/1.8
Canon 50/1.4 - only used at night indoors

I recently changed the logic board in my 5D II because the USB port had broke. it cost me ~ $500 and was very hesitant to do the repair, but boy am i glad i did... it feels like the quality of pics has increased and the camera works much better. (ie, i was never able to use AUTO, so my wife could use the camera when i'm not home to take pics of the kids, but now it is surprising working very well)

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L (second most-used lens)
Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 w/ Ed Mika conversion kit (my absolute favorite lens, on the camera 90% of the time)
Sigma DG EX 24-70mm f/2.8 (good all-purpose but looking to replace with a Canon EF 24-70 or 24-105)
Canon FD Tilt-Shift 35mm f/2.8 w/ Ed Mika conversion kit (great glass, small metal body)
Canon FD 300mm f/2.8 L w/ Ed Mika conversion kit (monster glass, big white metal body)

Using all on a 7D body.

Upvote 0
C

charliewphotos

Hi I'm new!

Being doing photography seriously for about 2 years now, I mostly do live music and promotion band photography but with a bit of wildlife and landscape thrown in.

Currently using a 60D but looking to upgrade to a 5D mk ii/iii (internal dilemma in terms of what to save for)

My lenses:

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS - Love this lens, for shooting small to medium size venues where the lighting tends to be terrible its brilliant. What I don't like is the build quality, the focus ring is a nightmare for dirt. If I go FF I'd look to get a 24-70 mki.

EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L mk ii IS - This lense is ideal for festivals and small group/individual portraits. The bokeh is creamy as you like and the image quality is unreal.

EF 50mm f/1.8 mkii - It's hard not to love this lens for the value you get. Yeah the focus is slow and noisy but for the price you can't ask for much more, I've thought about upgrading to the 1.4 version but I don't think I'd feel much benefit as I only really use the 50 when the lighting conditions are next to nothing, which is rare.

EF 300mm f/4 L USM (non-IS) - Don't get this out quite as much since getting the 70-200 but the sharpness is awesome and I got a really good deal on it that I just couldn't pass up. £200 for L glass isn't to be sniffed at!

Sigma 10mm f/2.8 fisheye - Nice for quirky band protraits and I like getting creative with the exaggerated effect. Got to be careful with it though becasue there's nothing worse than seeing a music photogs portfolio full of fisheye shots!

In terms of gear I want I'm pretty happy. I'd love the 100mm macro and I think I'd like an 85mm though I'm not sure how much I'd use it. I badly want something in the 5D range for the low light capabilites, but then I'd have to pick between the 24-70 and the 24-105. If I had the money I'd look to invest in the 24mm 1.4 but that's a fairly hefty price tag for the moment!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.