What replaces the Rebel line?

With the RP now at $799 it appears that it will be difficult for Canon to get a new mirrorless system inexpensive enough to replace the Rebel lineup as an entry level camera. The new 50mm is a good kit lens but there doesn't appear to be a replacement for the 18-55 sold with so many crop frame bodies. Don't know how much of Canon's revenue stream is entry level Rebels (T6, T7, "i" versions or even the 90D at the high end) but I don't see the M series as a contender to replace these.

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I was wondering about that myself. I have used various Rebel-class bodies as travel cameras for many years. They serve the purpose much better than my full frame gear. Since I don't shoot portraits, sports or animals when I travel, I don't need the autofocus advantages of mirrorless. I usually shoot in daylight, so I don't need the IBIS. I'm probably going to stick with my 77D and kit lens as my primary travel camera for a few years. It will accept all my old EF and EF-S lenses for special situations and 24 MP is plenty for my needs.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Not to take your post off topic, but where can I find the RP for $799? Canon Refurbished price is $809.99.

I think we got the RP price by looking at the math of the RP kit. Just sold the 24-105 for 280.

I think the M series will be the rebel series at some point. I fully expect there to be a Cheap 1080p apsc RF Mount camera at some point.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think we got the RP price by looking at the math of the RP kit. Just sold the 24-105 for 280.

I think the M series will be the rebel series at some point. I fully expect there to be a Cheap 1080p apsc RF Mount camera at some point.

I agree. The target market for the Rebels is essentially the same market as the Ms. It's a matter of convincing the moderately knowledgeable that knows "SLR" = "Real camera" that "Mirrorless ILC" is also a "real camera."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon can produce a APS-C R body for whatever price target they want. It probably costs less for a mirrorless when you look at the total lifetime cost including repairs and a separate production line for EF-S lenses.

They are planning a FF body for under $1000, so there is no issue with dropping a few bells and whistles, smaller LCD, add-on EVF, they could hit $500 if they wanted. The goal is to sell RF lenses which are very profitable. That was even mentioned in one of the financial reports.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Canon can produce a APS-C R body for whatever price target they want. It probably costs less for a mirrorless when you look at the total lifetime cost including repairs and a separate production line for EF-S lenses.

They are planning a FF body for under $1000, so there is no issue with dropping a few bells and whistles, smaller LCD, add-on EVF, they could hit $500 if they wanted. The goal is to sell RF lenses which are very profitable. That was even mentioned in one of the financial reports.

One reason RF lenses are very profitable is because for the most part they're selling for prices well above consumer grade EF and, particularly, EF-S lenses.

It seems to me Canon has made it fairly clear that the entry level into the RF system will be full frame.

If there are any APS-C RF bodies, and I think there will be, they won't be low end entry level models. They will be higher end models to give owners of upper tier FF RF cameras and lenses an option to use a tough-as-a-tank, fast-handling APS-C camera for specific use cases that call for extra reach with their RF lenses, much like the 7D did for the EF line.

The xx0D/Rebel models (they are only marketed as "Rebels" in North America) have pretty much already been replaced by EOS-M cameras in terms of sales volume everywhere except North America. The xx00D/Rebel models are the bargain basement budget models that are mainly sold in world areas where the market doesn't contain enough buyers with the means to consider the EOS-M line. Many of the xx00D models aren't even available in North America, Western Europe, and Japan.

Upvote 0