What were your first Canons? Analog and or digital?

September 1982, took my entire first full time paycheck and bought an AE-1 program. Loved it!
1st digital was a Nikon Coolpix 8700 in (I think 2004). Hated it! Didn't touch digital until 2012 (ish).

Got a 7D, then a 5DIII, then the 1DX, and now the 1DX II !!!

I even purchased a 1V-HS--thought I'd get back into film. Have shot exactly one roll in 3 years :)

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I was a Pentax K-mount guy back in the film days. My first digital DSLR was a 4 MP Olympus with a fixed zoom lens. I enjoyed being able to process the photos without going to a darkroom. I felt that the 4 MP image quality was pretty close to what I could achieve with 35mm film.

Around 2006, I decided to upgrade to an interchangeable lens DSLR and the Canon Rebel XT offered 8 MP, which seemed like a huge upgrade.

Once I bought that first Canon, I was hooked, because I started buying Canon lenses. Funny how that works.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi John.
I found that I could routinely squeeze 37 shots, often 38 shots and very occasionally more on that size memory card.
(Though the shots beyond 36 were always something and nothing shots, cats, dogs etc just in case!) ;D

Cheers, Graham.

johnf3f said:
Still have the EOS3 and 33V - remarkably good cameras except that the memory card ony holds 36 images ;D

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
First Canons for me were a pair of EOS 1n film cameras after I gave Nikon the sack. Basic design elements from that camera were there in my first Canon digital, the 1Ds from 2002 and still there in my current 1DX.

Back in 2002 when I got the 1Ds a friend with a very clear reality on changing market trends put it to me in no uncertain terms to sell any film cameras I had while they were still worth something. So those beautiful EOS 1n bodies, a comprehensive Mamiya RZ67 kit, Hasselblad Xpan, and a bellows 5x4 kit were rushed onto the market. I did very well from the sell-off. A year later and I would have been lucky to get half the amount. The Xpan is the only one that would have appreciated in value. Film cameras? I haven't got a sentimental bone in my body when it comes to work tools. Good riddance to them!

This has been a very exciting, revolutionary time to be a photographer. Someone asked me just this morning why I was a photographer. The only answer I could come up with was that it beats the hell out of having to work for a living. ;D

-pw

Upvote 0
My first Camera ( a Canon for sure 8) ) was a AE-1 Program with "Kitlens" FD-N 50 1.8
- added FD-N 24 f2.8 & FD-N 70-210 f4

AE-1 Program sold to my Sister - replaced by an T90 - T90 and all Lenses still in use ( Vintage ! )
Flashes: Speedlite 300 TL since T90 - for AE-1 Program an Metz was in use - all Flashes still working ok !

First Digital - Canon Powershot G2 - hardly used - still working with some Limitations :eek: .

First Digital SLR EOS 5D3 in 2013 replaced by 5D4 in 2017 ::) - parallel 80D since 2016

Greetings

Bernd

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Valvebounce said:
Hi John.
I found that I could routinely squeeze 37 shots, often 38 shots and very occasionally more on that size memory card.
(Though the shots beyond 36 were always something and nothing shots, cats, dogs etc just in case!) ;D

Cheers, Graham.

johnf3f said:
Still have the EOS3 and 33V - remarkably good cameras except that the memory card ony holds 36 images ;D

True! But they are nominally 36 so I though I would get lots of comments if I said 37! :)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
John, I thought your 36 comment was designed to elicit my response! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

johnf3f said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi John.

Cheers, Graham.

johnf3f said:

True! But they are nominally 36 so I though I would get lots of comments if I said 37! :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Valvebounce said:
John, I thought your 36 comment was designed to elicit my response! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

johnf3f said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi John.

Cheers, Graham.

johnf3f said:

;D

Upvote 0
My first was the Canon A-1, which I bought used with the nifty fifty for probably $100 in the early nineties, when I was in junior high school. Eventually I added 28 and 135 mm primes via ebay. I used this into college, even in a B&W photography 101 class for art majors. I still have my darkroom supplies, and I even purchased an enlarger, timer, and easel -- none of which have been set up or used in at least 17 years.

I made the jump to digital in 2004 with a cheap canon P&S A-series something or other, purchased mostly to take easily-deleted blurry pictures of our first puppy. My wife bought me an Elph SD800IS as a wedding present in 2007.

Missing my old SLR days, I got the Rebel t1i in 2009 or 2010. I added the 20mm and 100mm macro when we decided to travel to Madagascar, although I should have practiced a lot more before we left!

I bought the G1x when my son was born in 2012, so I would have something that took quality photos at the hospital without taking up too much space. Once he started crawling and got mobile, I decided a full-frame camera would allow me to make better use of my 20mm prime as he spent most of his time crawling directly at me. I added two film cameras (Rebel G and then Elan 7n) before I decided to just go with a refurbished 6D. Once I get caught up on downloading, sorting, and backing up the digitals, I'll think about getting the darkroom set up again...

Upvote 0
Canon 1Ds - decided to get a serious digital camera, looked around at lenses and considered Nikon's suggestion (2003) that no-one needed full frame 35mm...

Got a 1Ds, 16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L - it replaced my OM2 for my B&W landscape photos

Not long after, I went to Colorado for a month to get a feel for doing things digitally...

Having recently re-written the entire Northlight Images web site, I got to tidy up all my articles, including one from 2004 about my move to digital for my B&W

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a-35mm-black-and-white-landscape-photographer-goes-digital/

It's been interesting to re-read articles from that far back and see what has changed and how much is still relevant (more than I'd feared when starting out on re-casting 1000+ articles)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
My first Canon was an AF35ML Super Sure Shot, ( circa 1982) and I had it whilst I was shooting Nikon SLRs. I can remember being quite put out and perplexed by the fact this little fixed lens compact produced sharper images than my Nikon gear. The fixed 40mm f1.8 lens on that thing was stunning ! My next Canon was the 5D, twenty three years later. I also have the spiritual successor to the AF35ML, the excellent little G1X.

Upvote 0