What will Canon bring to the table with the EOS R1?

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Hmmm...let’s restate this.

So your opinion is that if the R5 competes well the Sony A1 well enough as is, then the R1 will be a failure?

There is a first for everything so perhaps you are right, BUT...a couple of things.

1. While I don’t know, I suspect that whatever specs the R1 ultimately has it will surpass those of the R5 by a good margin. Considering the success of the R5 thus far it would seem a little shortsighted to label the eventual R1 as a failure.
2. The 1 series from Canon, and the comparable Nikon body (what’s the latest D6?). Have been at the pinnacle of pro action photography for a very long time. People have their opinions on which way the wind has blown with any given model release but from what I see nothing else introduced has knocked either of them from that spot. Sony has certainly introduced some competition in this niche which is great...but taken it over? Not even close. Considering all their histories at this point I would be highly surprised if any of them introduced a failure to the market.

But hey...time will tell as it always does and perhaps I’m reading it all wrong. I mean I was certainly wrong when I didn’t believe Canon was going down the tubes.
The Canon 1 series and Nikon D are antiquaded compared to current technology. The R1 will test if Canon can stay relevant.

TravelerNick

EOS M6 Mark II
Dec 4, 2020
I always thought the standard was you could use it to bludgeon someone to death and still be able to use it to take a perfectly focused photo of the corpse?

I thought you had to knock out a mugger while still not missing a shot.

You can manually focus a corpse. Outside of the Walking Dead they tend to hold still better than the average model

• Haha
Reactions: SteveC

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I thought you had to knock out a mugger while still not missing a shot.

You can manually focus a corpse. Outside of the Walking Dead they tend to hold still better than the average model

The lens needs to still be in alignment, both with itself (element to element) and with the image plane, though.

<-- start Taboola -->