Why did you choose Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leejo

Still relearning the same things...
Jul 20, 2012
Back in 1986 when I started with a film SLR, on a budget I chose a Pentax compatible due to the availability of second hand lenses then.
But still I yearned for a T90...
My interest died off - and was only rekindled much later in 2010 when I finally decided to buy a DSLR, after a few years of using a bridge camera.
I looked at those available, and who was shooting what around me. Around 5:1 to Canon there. Borrowed a 5Dc - seemed fine to use.
Canon 7D against Nikon D90 or Nikon D700 - Canon 7D won through...

Upvote 0
First round,

When I picked up photography as hobby during middle school, I worked hard one summer to save up money to buy a SLR. I had to choose among Canon AE1, Nikon FM and Olympus OM-1n. During that time I was told by a classmate that the full mechanic camera will be better and the Nikon FM system was a bit more expensive, so I chose the OM-1n, have no regret though. ;D

Second round

I started looking at digital camera in the year of 2000. The DSLR was either too expensive for the professional grade or its technology was not mature enough for the consumer grade. So I picked up a Nikon Coolpix 950 as my first digital camera but did not like it at all. Later I got a Canon IXUS 50 to go around with me during my business trips and like it very much (no iPhone during that time :(). That was my first Canon. ;)

Third round

The Canon 5Dc started drawing my attention, it is a full frame DSLR and was affordable, almost made the cut but not until the 5D Mark II – my first DSLR.

Two main reasons for me to get the 5D Mark II: First, it is a full frame camera, important to transit from film camera. Second, the 5D series seems to have a longer product life cycle and to me, this means better value for my investment. I know, this contradicts to what we are now in the consumer electronic era – people keep complaining Canon does not release upgrade soon enough! :eek:

Sadly, I felt into that trap recently – upgrade to 5D Mark III without any compelling reason! :-[

Upvote 0
My parents wanted a digital camera in (I believe) 2003. I helped them with the decision after reading various reviews on the internet. After hearing my advice, they bought a Canon Powershot A40. My parents actually never used the camera. I always took the pictures even though I didn't know anything about photography back then and I always used the fully automatic mode. I have always been very satisfied of that camera except for the low resolution (1600x1200).

In the beginning of 2010 I wanted to spend some money on any "gadget". At first I wanted to buy a videocamera, but a friend of mine told me to get a DSLR since they could shoot video too. And the "reading reviews on the internet" phase was there again backed up by my good experiences with the Powershot A40.

I finally decided to get the 550D with the 18-55mm kitlens after reading the review on dpreview. I also learned everything about exposure/lenses thanks to the video tutorials of Ben Long on the lynda website. At first I was blown away by the difference in image quality compared to the Powershot A40.

After about a year I experienced that anything past ISO800-1600 was too noisy for my taste. Last Summer (2012) I was really considering switching to Nikon because of the superior Sony EXMOR sensors even though I've always loved Canon. So I played around with a D3100, D5100, D90 and D7000. At that point I knew Nikon wasn't an option anymore even if it had 2234232 stops of dynamic range. Those Nikon DSLR bodies are ugly as hell (I guess I could get used to that), the menus are made by a "designer" who was born somewhere before Jesus Christ (I could probably get used to that too), but my hands didn't like the various Nikon DSLR bodies at all (this I CANNOT get used too). Ergonomics and especially grip were horrible in my opinion. If a camera isn't fun to hold, it will spend the rest of its life in a closed camera bag which would be a waste of money.

So here I am. Still owning the 550D, but preparing a move to the 6D/5D3 somewhere this year (5D3 is in pole position right now).

Upvote 0
Late 1990's was using a Pentax K1000 but wanted autofocus. Pentax AF bodies were cheap looking, so I considered Nikon (N90?) and Canon (Elan2 or A2?). Sent in a reply card for free brochure to Nikon, never received. Called Nikon's toll free phone number for brochure, they took my name and address, still never received. Called Canon and had a brochure in my mailbox in less than a week.

I figured if that is the kind of service Nikon provides, that is not a company I want to deal with. Bought a Canon Elan2e, eventually a second one, then a used eos1 (cheap cause everyone was going digital), and finally a 5D2 (the only digital body I have owned).

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Camera history goes something like this, when I was at boarding school, dad had I think a Praktica MTL and I got a Zenit, so I could borrow his M42 fit lenses. I joined the school camera club and one of my friends, a Malaysian lad had an A-1, one holiday he couldn't go home so he came and stayed with my family, dad was impressed with the A-1 and decided to upgrade to a Canon and got the AE-1 Program, I was allowed to borrow this for a special treat, and really liked it, back to my old Zenit for several years. Finally I could upgrade and got an EOS 1000FN with a couple of standard lenses, then another 1000FN came along and I got a Cosina 100-300 zoom. Do you see a patern emerging, photography on a budget!
Then a photographic revolution, APS film, got caught on that one with an Ixus Z something, not a memorable experience.
Then my partner got our first digital camera, a Sony DSC F505V a brilliant camera, for certain things. Decided to go for a DSLR after going to 50 years of formula1 at Silverstone race circuit and getting lots of pics of empty track where the car was when I pressed the button, damn that thing was Slow.
Went looking for Canon DSLR, bought an EOS 300D, it went wih the zoom lens I had! Love that camera, have taken thousands of pics with it and still use it for pictures of my car restorations, practically worthless so no too worried about putting it at risk. Upgraded to a 40D, it failed on holiday in Phoenix Az with about 2000 exposures on it, 300D to the rescue, nearly didn't take the 300D body due to luggage restrictions! Returned the 40D to Canon for repair and it was returned promptly fully repaired, good service.
I have just recently upgraded again to a 7D as I wanted a body that could also do video as I got fed up with toting a bag with a video camera which never got used as it interupted stills capture for too long!
Kit bag full of kit or third party lenses third party remotes and timers for time lapse photography.
Sorry for rambling on..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.