Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOISE
I am not resizing any of the files of the different FF cams. I see them on screen as they were made.
- Friend has 1DX = 18mp = capturing more light = less noise at higher iso
- Friend has 5d Mark III = 22mp = capturing less light = more noise at higher iso
- I have 6d = 20mp = capturing more light = less noise at higher iso
Classification from less to more noise: 1DX (18mp), 6d (20mp), 5d Mark III (22mp)

SHARPNESS @ iso 100:
Reference image size = 1DX = 5184 x 3456, resizing the others to that image size
Classification from less to more sharpness @ iso 100: 1DX (18mp), 6d (20mp), 5d Mark III (22mp)

SHARPNESS @ iso 6400:
Reference image size = 1DX = 5184 x 3456, resizing the others to that image size
Classification from less to more sharpness @ iso 6400: 5d Mark III (22mp), 6d (20mp), 1DX (18mp)
The problem with going in the higher iso's is that the higher pixel densy sensor is noisier at full resolution, and the lower pixel density sensor is noise cleaner (less muddy) = sharper image.

I'm taking pictures in mostly dark rooms (read: seminars, congresses, colloquiums, meetings on international and European level).

I won't buy the 1DX, because i am not a professional photographer (I don't make a living of it). But I got extra paid in money and spare time by my boss for the extra service of photographing and Raw development time which I do at home.

The 40D (3x), 6D with 24-105, and sharp primes, and Tripod deliver me the pictures that people want, that they can use in magazines and on their websites.

The only reason I bought the 6D (still use you my 40D's) is better usable higher iso, higher dynamic range, higher print resolution.
(BUT DON'T FORGET: GETTING A GROUP OF 2 TO 4 PEOPLE SCHARP: crop sensor f5, 6; full sensor f8.0. VERY IMPORTANT!!!)

One thing very essential, always shoot raw, get an ips monitor or for mac Retina display (non glossy and calibrate the displays) and develop a raw work flow with your image treatment application at different iso settings for every different cam you got.

I'm not looking for an endless discussing, only writing my experience. Just hoping that it has some value for the people that need some extra info. :)

Upvote 0
erikefox said:
I'm not looking for an endless discussing

You're in luck there, people WRITING IN CAPITALS usually are ignored sooner or later :->

Sporgon said:
Are you cocking a snoop at the 18 mp 1Dx ?

Wupps, you got me there, putting "less" in a "more" camera is so Canon-unlike this information refuses to stick :-o

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
erikefox said:

You're in luck there, people WRITING IN CAPITALS usually are ignored sooner or later :->

Sporgon said:

Wupps, you got me there, putting "less" in a "more" camera is so Canon-unlike this information refuses to stick :-o

Sorry for the capitals. This is my first post ever on a forum.
Had the chance to handle the 1dx and the 5d III, and compare the original raw files from a friend. I just thought i could publish my experience here. I work as IT and am quite good in photoshop and publishing media.
At our photo club, there is no place for the words "cocking" or "Snooping" at a specific cam. Only the final picture counts without judging the cam. We only judge a cam if we are in the need of bying a new cam thats suites the purpose for his shooting. Thank you for your understanding.

Upvote 0
erikefox said:
Marsu42 said:
erikefox said:

Sporgon said:

Sorry for the capitals. This is my first post ever on a forum.
Had the chance to handle the 1dx and the 5d III, and compare the original raw files from a friend. I just thought i could publish my experience here. I work as IT and am quite good in photoshop and publishing media.
At our photo club, there is no place for the words "cocking" or "Snooping" at a specific cam. Only the final picture counts without judging the cam. We only judge a cam if we are in the need of bying a new cam thats suites the purpose for his shooting. Thank you for your understanding.

You bought the right camera for the job it seems like.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
We have a rental business where we have Canon 5dMKII, 5dMKIII, 1Dx and I have a 6d personally. There is no doubt that the 5dMKIII is a better overall package to the 6d its AF system is far superior as is its construction and user menus, the joypad & jog stick are also far better. What is not so clear cut using the same lens is the IQ and in every technical test we have performed they simply cannot be seperated apart from low light where the 6d actually pips the 5dMKIII.
This is looking at both from a purely technical standpoint as each user will hold different views on ergonomics, weight etc. The 6d is not a camera for rental its simply not robust enough for everyday use or customisable enough but if this was a test simply about IQ they are equals but then why should that be an issue?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.