Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of you know that I recently acquired a Canon 6D, and I have been asked by multiple posters both in the forum and by email to give my reasons why I made the decision I did. I have wasted far too much time doing just that today ;D

Here is the link to my website where I shared my findings: http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/why-i-chose-a-canon-eos-6d-over-a-5d-mkiii/

Also, if any of you are interested in adapting old M42 lens to the new 6D, here are my findings with my little kit of vintage glass: http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/the-new-canon-eos-6d-and-classic-m42-lens/

Disclaimer: I have no intention of starting a flame war. I believe that the 5D MK3 is overall the better camera and I intend to upgrade my MK2 to a MK3 down the road. I came to the conclusions that I share for myself and felt those conclusions and hands on experiences might help others making a similar type decision.

I have a 6D and a 5D2 in my kit right now as well. The photo quality on the 6D constantly astounds me, especially the noise performance like you mentioned on your site. It's also worth mentioning that the 6D has a much softer shutter sound than the 5D series. For a lot of people, the reduced shutter sound is very beneficial when shooting in quieter situations where you don't want to be a distraction.

Upvote 0
titokane said:
I have a 6D and a 5D2 in my kit right now as well. The photo quality on the 6D constantly astounds me, especially the noise performance like you mentioned on your site. It's also worth mentioning that the 6D has a much softer shutter sound than the 5D series. For a lot of people, the reduced shutter sound is very beneficial when shooting in quieter situations where you don't want to be a distraction.

The point about the silent shutter is a good one, and one that I neglected to share.

Upvote 0
bseitz234 said:
Wonderful review, Dustin. Thanks so much for taking the time to write up your thoughts! Much appreciated!!

Thanks. I am a writer, so it seems like a worthy blend of some of my talents. I haven't quite gotten to the place where manufacturers are sending my samples to test. Now that would be fun ;D

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2011
The 6D sounds like a great camera and that is a great review, but I prefer the 5D3 for the AF points, larger body, dual cards, multi controller joystick (especially on the grip) and most ergonomics in general.

As far as the center focal point, I can't remember the last time I used the center focal point. The 5D3 with all the those cross types spread out is really sweet.

There's really only one thing I'm envious of on the 6D and that is built in wifi. I have to use and Eye-Fi card for that.
I've never really run into a situation where the 1/2 DR would have made a difference. Therefore the banding issues of the 5D3 aren't an issue either. During test I do know the banding is considerably better than the 5D2.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your review Dustin!

I am a storm chaser and I just upgraded from 2 550Ds to a 6D and a 550D for lightning/backup work. I have done some basic tests and have found the 6D IQ to be astounding. I tested at iso1250 and f8 on a dark, low contrast sky. I was amazed by the low noise and how well it cleaned up in post without losing any detail. I cannot wait to use this camera on chases. I will be using my new EF 16-35 f2.8 II and EF 50 f1.4 lenses with the 6D.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011
Dylan777 said:
Without reading your review, the number one reason people pick 6D over 5D III is the PRICE TAG.

Samething for Tammy 24-70 f2.8 VC over Canon f2.8 II
Don't be so sure. I've seen many who picked the 6D because it has better IQ (dynamic range, high ISO noise) than the 5D3.

Think about it - not everyone is fond of shooting sports and weddings. If "super duper AF" and FPS is not important, then why pay 1000 bucks more for a bigger and heavier camera, with less IQ? :) Yes, even if it is just marginally less.

To a lot of people (me included) IQ is the highest of all priorities.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:
Without reading your review, the number one reason people pick 6D over 5D III is the PRICE TAG.

Don't be so sure. I've seen many who picked the 6D because it has better IQ (dynamic range, high ISO noise) than the 5D3.

Think about it - not everyone is fond of shooting sports and weddings. If "super duper AF" and FPS is not important, then why pay 1000 bucks more for a bigger and heavier camera, with less IQ? :) Yes, even if it is just marginally less.

Better IQ and higher ISO? that what current 6D owners want&wish to hear ;D

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:

I'm sure you are right about that. It certainly was a factor for me, but I wouldn't have even considered the 6D if the other facts about image quality, etc... had not emerged.

Upvote 0
kbmelb said:
The 6D sounds like a great camera and that is a great review, but I prefer the 5D3 for the AF points, larger body, dual cards, multi controller joystick (especially on the grip) and most ergonomics in general.

As far as the center focal point, I can't remember the last time I used the center focal point. The 5D3 with all the those cross types spread out is really sweet.

There's really only one thing I'm envious of on the 6D and that is built in wifi. I have to use and Eye-Fi card for that.
I've never really run into a situation where the 1/2 DR would have made a difference. Therefore the banding issues of the 5D3 aren't an issue either. During test I do know the banding is considerably better than the 5D2.

Good points, and I do think that the 5D3 is perhaps the best all around camera available. I suspect that most 5D3 users are quite happy with their purchase. I also think, however, that most 6D users will be happy with their purchase and will discover that they got far more camera than what most people have written the 6D off to be.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011
Dylan777 said:
Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:

I see. Well then, I guess there is no point in arguing with you, since you obviously don't know the facts.

But perhaps it's for the best. :D

Upvote 0
Nice shots, great review. I can easily say I pretty much agree with everything you said. I have both bodies currently but actually may sell the 5D3 soon depending on how the next firmware update addresses the low light AF issue with the 5D3. The 6D is a great camera and is much more capable than the nay sayers claim. You simply have to use one to decide. You did. And everyone who either owns or has used one has come away satisfied AFAIK. Thanks for the great info!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:
Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:

I see. Well then, I guess there is no point in arguing with you, since you obviously don't know the facts.

But perhaps it's for the best. :D

Since you said "you obviously don't know the facts", about you and I share some pictures from both cameras(6D Vs 5D III). In my comparsions, I DO NOT see 6D offers better DR than 5D III. Pictures were shots with 24-70 f2.8 II in mid afternoon, sunset, and some in extreme low light.

Are you willing to share your own shots, 6D Vs 5D III comparions? I'm more than willing to show you mines.

Upvote 0
How do you find the size of the 6D, coming from your 5D MkII? No stores have the 6D in stock where I live. Hoping to visit B&H and get a feel for one when I am in NY next month.

I have the 50D, and I find the ergonomics great. I held a 60D and found it smaller than my liking. Is the 6D closer to either in size, or in between? My other concern is the lack of a joystick! Mostly ergonomic questions, since I am confident in the 6D's image quality.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.