Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2020

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Even though all the COVID-19 trouble the Natural History Museum, London, yesterday announced the "Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2020".

Grand title winner: Sergey Gorshkov
Equipment:
Nikon Z7, 50mm f1.8 lens, 1/200 sec at f6.3, ISO 250,
Cognisys camera-trap system (this makes it clear why to use a 50 mm lens with a wild tiger ;) )

Young Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2020
Grand title winner: Liina Heikkinen
Equipment:
Nikon D4, 28–300mm f3.5–5.6 lens 1/125 sec, f5.6 (-0.3 e/v), ISO 1600

Look through and enjoy the galleries. Once again, some great pictures there, no matter what gear was used.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
D

Deleted member 381342

Honestly I don't care about gear as long as the pic is as great as those in the contest.
Khudos to all those wildlife photogs.

That is the best view I have seen in a camera forum. Frankly out in the field when I meet someone with a Canon when I have my Nikon or someone with a Nikon when I have my Canon, not once is there a thought about 'ha his AF or DR must be rubbish'. It is always(more so if we are sharing a hide) that any conversation is around the animal we are trying to capture and if we want to swap sides to get different angles. The gear talk is "Oh your using a 600mm, I am using a 300mm". Outside of forums I don't think anyone cares though on a job your camera has to 'look the part' and to that extent it is sometimes easier with Canon lenses as normal people are programmed to recognise the red ring and the white lens as being professional.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
This link has copies of more winning pictures and includes mine from this year: the puffin with a mouthful of krill flying to its nest at dusk in Grimsey Is. It was taken with a Canon 7DMII but that has now been replaced with the R5. We'll see what happens now!

1602719983339.png
Catherine

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Great shot, Catherine.
a025.gif

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Thanks, everyone! After 7 yrs with the 7D/7DMII, the old warhorse has been retired and that picture was its last hurrah. We'll see what happens now that the R5 has taken its place. It's going to take a while for it to feel as familiar as the 7D but I'm getting there. Anxious to get back out in the world
Catherine

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This link has copies of more winning pictures and includes mine from this year: the puffin with a mouthful of krill flying to its nest at dusk in Grimsey Is. It was taken with a Canon 7DMII but that has now been replaced with the R5. We'll see what happens now!

View attachment 193362
Catherine

"We'll see what happens now!" - I can predict it: more beautiful shots, because you can!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

View attachment 193362
Catherine
Stunning picture.
Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but yes WPOY is always great and so awesome that someone on this forum is part of the exhibition. Huge congratulations to @digigal . I have seen it in person in London twice and have the books from competition 14 through 30 (this one). This was the first one I entered and I was among the eight thousand people who were asked to submit a RAW file for final judging, but alas I did not make the cut.

There is only one thing about the contest I wish they would change (when I have brought this up on other forums some agree and some do not). I feel camera trap photos should be a separate category. I do feel there is merit to it, as we are getting photos this way that are otherwise impossible (including this year's winning photo). But it seems like they should be separated from the photos that were taken in person. It's hard for me to accept that someone can blindly set up a camera and have it fire on its own while they are asleep or eating at home or whatever and they are called the wildlife photographer of the year when they weren't even there to take the picture. (And yes I realize there is a lot of skill involved in setting up the trap and lighting).

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0