Yosemite in the wintertime

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
[/quote]

Thanks for the input! I agree that a lens that heavy is going to make getting around considerably more difficult. At times, I wished I just threw the 40mm pancake on and left the lenses and tripod at my campsite (locked up of course). I have not had the chance to use the 24-105L, but from what it sounds like, it makes a great landscape lens. Would you recommend bringing that lens instead of various primes in that focal range?
[/quote]

I find 24-105L to be great for landscape - just take a couple of filters and a sturdy tripod.

Cheers

Upvote 0
There's too much green in those pictures, you must have a bad lens...oh wait! it's the reflection of my face on the monitor as I'm so green with envy at such wonderful pictures! 8)

Love them! Congratulations, what a beautiful place to visit!

Here are a couple more pictures if anyone is interested. Feel free to critique them if you want!

Yosemite9-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite8-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite10-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite7-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr
[/quote]

Upvote 0
I agree with the OP that winter is the best time to visit Yosemite. Significantly less crowded, especially if snow is forecast (it's great to have 4WD). Here are a few pics from our last trip when we arrived just after a big storm. I hope you enjoy. Taken wih a 5DII and 24-105L.

Attachments

• YosemiteMirror.jpg
    YosemiteMirror.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 768
  • Half Dome.jpg
    Half Dome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 795
Upvote 0
RomanRacela said:
Very, very nice shots! I was there too over the weekend showing my friends around so I wasn't really able to shoot a lot.

I was also there a few days before Christmas when there was a lot of snow. I wished there was more snow over the weekend, but I guess Global Warming has changed that!

I only used 1 lens the entire weekend: TS-E 24mm 3.5L II. I didn't even bother using other lenses. I think those who were shooting with 70-200mm were there for the Fire Falls near El Cap.

Wonderful picture! The 24mm II TS-E is my dream lens. I too was hoping for more snow, but at least it was not as bad as last year. Snow did not last on the valley floor for very long if it did snow (from what I heard from the people who worked there).

MacroBug said:
I agree with the OP that winter is the best time to visit Yosemite. Significantly less crowded, especially if snow is forecast (it's great to have 4WD).

You pictures make me want to go back after the next snowfall! By the way, those are some beautiful pictures. Honestly, I just don't know if I would visit in the summer in the near future. Winter was so peaceful with the buses never filling up, the campground was quiet after 8:00pm, and the short line for the food court.

Menace said:
I find 24-105L to be great for landscape - just take a couple of filters and a sturdy tripod.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice Menace! I will definitely look into picking up a 24-105L. Plus the 77mm filter threads keep me from having to buy new filters.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
I am envious of you all!

I mentioned the cabins, because of those people who caught the haunta virus last year (at least I think that's what it was).

Niterider, those are lovely, but the bottom one has too much sky, which is too featureless...I would have cropped it off a bit and changed the proportion to 16:9, or 2.2:1, or something. Not trying to nitpick, though. Kind of hard to not take a great picture in a place like this.

If I take a picture of an amorous bear, that would not be a pretty sight!

Marcobug, I like your top one the best, but both are terrific. The snow on the trees is beautiful.

Upvote 0