Your best animal shots!

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Very cool shot, but I think I might have wanted 560mm on a crop giving an effective 896mm then and only then would I have felt far enough away, they can run at 25 mph, I'd want a really big head start back to a vehicle.

Cheers, Graham.

AlanF said:
Pygmy elephants in Northern Borneo. I wouldn't have liked to use shorter than 400mm for this shot.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kieth.
Sorry to hear about your cat getting caught up in the food chain.
Cats have a great sense of humour, we just don't get it! :)
Our old girl is deaf and she will start by talking at us quietly then when we don't reply she just gets louder and louder, we try to get her to look at us when we talk back but she doesn't find the silent movie (lips moving with no sound because she is deaf) thing funny either! ::)

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:
Our older cat(got caught up in the food chain) would follow something totally invisible to us, them freak out and run into another room. That was really unnerving. Cat's have a really messed up sense of humor.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
Pygmy elephants in Northern Borneo. I wouldn't have liked to use shorter than 400mm for this shot.

I quite agree... But I was in a situation in South Africa (Addo Elephant Park) once where we stopped at a good distance of a large family of African Elephants when just 5 meters behind our rental VW Polo suddenly the rest of the family appeared out of the brushes... I was so busy looking for a way out that I didn't even consider taking pictures when this group walked past our tin can - two feet between me and the passing elephant...
Luckily they were friendly and not agitated - not really interested in us - and I made sure I did not arouse them in any way :eek:

... and these African ones are BIG (picture taken earlier ;))

Attachments

• ZuidAfrika-304.jpg
    ZuidAfrika-304.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wiebe.
Nice shot.
Wow, that must have triggered so many emotions all the way from fear at being so close to excitement at seeing them so close! ???
Being in a tin can when the thing you are afraid of is a giant crane with a tin opener attached doesn't seem to offer much reassurance! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
AlanF said:

I quite agree... But I was in a situation in South Africa (Addo Elephant Park) once where we stopped at a good distance of a large family of African Elephants when just 5 meters behind our rental VW Polo suddenly the rest of the family appeared out of the brushes... I was so busy looking for a way out that I didn't even consider taking pictures when this group walked past our tin can - two feet between me and the passing elephant...
Luckily they were friendly and not agitated - not really interested in us - and I made sure I did not arouse them in any way :eek:

... and these African ones are BIG (picture taken earlier ;))

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi canon1dxman.
Nice shot, are these captive fed (just arrived at their feed?) or wild beasts?

Cheers, Graham.

canon1dxman said:
Traffic jam in the woods

Thanks guys. These are wild in Windsor Great Park, UK. There are around 500 of them in a massive area and you can hear the Stags from miles away when rutting season starts.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi canon1dxman.
Thanks for that explanation, sounds like a fantastic place to visit with a good opportunity for seeing these fine beasts.

Cheers, Graham.

canon1dxman said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi canon1dxman.
Nice shot, are these captive fed (just arrived at their feed?) or wild beasts?

Cheers, Graham.

canon1dxman said:
Traffic jam in the woods

Thanks guys. These are wild in Windsor Great Park, UK. There are around 500 of them in a massive area and you can hear the Stags from miles away when rutting season starts.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Very nice shot, Wiebe. :)

+1 Don't have to worry about getting a low vantage point; they tower above you!

Jack

Where a low vantage point may not be hard to achieve with elephants, you'd need scuba gear and water tight camera enclosure to get this one from below ;)

Gray Seal surfacing (may also be a Harbour Seal... I'm no expert)
The speed of these animals in the water is exceptional - even with a 7DmkII I got only 2 shots where it was surfacing, with only this one head out of the water...

Wiebe.

PS for Jack Douglas -- this one is slightly bigger - will it open in a separate window automatically now?

Attachments

• Ameland-6993.jpg
    Ameland-6993.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
Upvote 0