Your favourite motorsports events

Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.
Nice series, as others have said, nice panning on the first shot, nice try panning at 1/6th sec on the open wheel cars! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:
A few from Brands Hatch at the start of the month.
I did try 1/2 sec, but there wasn't anything even close to a keeper. 5 months until my next race now, going to be out of panning practice!

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
dhr90 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.
Nice series, as others have said, nice panning on the first shot, nice try panning at 1/6th sec on the open wheel cars! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:
I did try 1/2 sec, but there wasn't anything even close to a keeper. 5 months until my next race now, going to be out of panning practice!

when all else fail - cars on the motorway ;D

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
For a long time I have wanted to try the classic light trails shot, and every time I get close I think about the huge angry bloke that after screeching to a stop gets out of his car and walks over and knocks my block off! :-\
Same problem practicing panning on the street, plus the motorways are fenced off and closed to pedestrians. I guess if you happen to know the owner of some farmland that backs on to the motorway you could do it from there!

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
dhr90 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Roo said:
dhr90 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:

LOL ;D

Some amazing shots recently, I especially love the slow shutter/panning as well.
I have the F1 at Yas Island next month (can't wait) and it's not long until our 24 hour race at the Dubai Autodrome (January), looking forward to any future posts in this thread, it's going really well :)

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Valvebounce said:
Hi Roo.
For a long time I have wanted to try the classic light trails shot, and every time I get close I think about the huge angry bloke that after screeching to a stop gets out of his car and walks over and knocks my block off! :-\
Same problem practicing panning on the street, plus the motorways are fenced off and closed to pedestrians. I guess if you happen to know the owner of some farmland that backs on to the motorway you could do it from there!

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
dhr90 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:

Interesting Graham. It's not a problem I've encountered here. Our freeways are not generally pedestrian accessible but they do have regular rest stop areas and there are overpasses that can be shot from. I'll even practice panning while doing street photography in the city :D

Attachments

• Melbourne laneways (11 of 46).jpg
    Melbourne laneways (11 of 46).jpg
    776 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Our little island doesn't have a motorway, a half mile of dual carriageway is the nearest we get and that is often near stationary during daylight hours.
I'm guessing that being in a city is the difference, in a city a camera may be fairly common especially in touristy areas, although I live in a tourist area it is very rural and a camera at the side of the road is and would be seen as unusual and possibly an infringement on the subjects privacy even though there is theoretically no expectation of privacy in a public place.
Of course the biggest problem here might be my perception of the situation and nothing more? :-\ ???
Also I think the presence of flash photography by the side of a road at night doing second shutter light trails might be frowned upon (at the very least) by the police.

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Roo.

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
dhr90 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:

Interesting Graham. It's not a problem I've encountered here. Our freeways are not generally pedestrian accessible but they do have regular rest stop areas and there are overpasses that can be shot from. I'll even practice panning while doing street photography in the city :D

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Valvebounce said:
Also I think the presence of flash photography by the side of a road at night doing second shutter light trails might be frowned upon (at the very least) by the police.

Ahhh now here you would probably be set upon for that - the motorists might be a bit angry thinking that they'd been nabbed by a roadside speed camera lol

Upvote 0
Roo said:

While there are some bridges over roads round here, there has been too many instances of blocks of concrete being thrown at vehicles for me to get more than a few shots before being arrested. Same problem prohibits the classic light trails shots too.

Hoping to have some time off work in the next week or two and some end of season testing to shoot, would get a bit more variety of vehicles too.

Upvote 0
dhr90 said:
Roo said:

While there are some bridges over roads round here, there has been too many instances of blocks of concrete being thrown at vehicles for me to get more than a few shots before being arrested.

Here in Denmark, the car of a German family was hit by two 30kg (66lbs) concrete slabs and two cobblestones of 10kg in August, thrown from a motorway bridge. The 33yo mother died shortly after, the 36yo father was in a (medically induced) coma for about a month, and their 5yo son was lucky to escape with superficial damages.

Fortunately the police force can still tell the difference between concrete slabs and photo gear.

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
dhr90 said:
Found another shot from Brands Hatch last month. Will be there tomorrow and shooting some night racing, will really test the ISO capabilities of a 7D. Will be trying hard to capture flaming exhausts and glowing brake discs.

Eastwood by Matt, on Flickr
That's a fantastic shot Matt, I love the 996 and this really sets it off 8)

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Well that's the F1 season over with for another year, and what an ending! A new world champion, a retirement, rumours, doughnuts, aerobatics, 2 legends leaving us; and of course the tyre testing in the days that followed.
It was a great Grand Prix this year and I for one was totally in favour of the tactics that have been damned by some, it made for a tense race!!
I'll add a few images over the next few threads, I hope you enjoy them :D

Attachments

• IMG_5849.jpg
    IMG_5849.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
  • 995A7350.jpg
    995A7350.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
Upvote 0