Your favourite motorsports events

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.
Thanks for the info cropping.
I think we all would like press access to wherever it is we like to go for photos, but the chances of that are pretty unlikely, as in slim to nil.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:
Thanks guys.

Graham, I do crop everything, 24mm require a bit more of a crop than others. I shoot in...whatever the camera is set to and crop to 16:9 in lightroom. Would like to have press access, it would open up new shooting possibilities, but also in some ways I wouldn't get some of the shots I get currently?

Over here, getting a photographer accreditation the the national motorsport body here is a matter of applying and submitting images with application to prove you are of a certain standard. The annual fee isn't too bad but there are 3 levels of accreditation - bronze, silver and gold and it is very much a heirachy system that they are upfront about. At bronze level it's highly unlikely you'll get access to any of the premier events/ top level national championships. Even at silver level the chances are slim. Once you have the accreditation you have to apply to event organisers for access to the event.

That doesn't mean some absolute hacks can't get in under the "photojournalist" banner. Last year some hack from an unknown online paper got in to the Grand Prix - the photos I saw were terrible (panning blur faked on shot with wheels frozen). The only reason I knew about the guy was because he turned up in the media area at a national ice hockey game last year and stood out with his choice of attire (bright colours reflect badly in the glass and into shots) and a general lack of knowledge on settings. Online, he listed himself as an experienced motorsport and ice hockey league photographer ::)

I'm not sure how the accreditation works there but if you got the access Matt, you would still be able to shoot from some of your favourite spots in addition to the new opportunities presented :)

Very nice set Quarantasei! Love the old A110s :)

Upvote 0
Roo said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.
I think we all would like press access to wherever it is we like to go for photos, but the chances of that are pretty unlikely, as in slim to nil.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:
Thanks guys.

Graham, I do crop everything, 24mm require a bit more of a crop than others. I shoot in...whatever the camera is set to and crop to 16:9 in lightroom. Would like to have press access, it would open up new shooting possibilities, but also in some ways I wouldn't get some of the shots I get currently?

Over here, getting a photographer accreditation the the national motorsport body here is a matter of applying and submitting images with application to prove you are of a certain standard. The annual fee isn't too bad but there are 3 levels of accreditation - bronze, silver and gold and it is very much a heirachy system that they are upfront about. At bronze level it's highly unlikely you'll get access to any of the premier events/ top level national championships. Even at silver level the chances are slim. Once you have the accreditation you have to apply to event organisers for access to the event.

That doesn't mean some absolute hacks can't get in under the "photojournalist" banner. Last year some hack from an unknown online paper got in to the Grand Prix - the photos I saw were terrible (panning blur faked on shot with wheels frozen). The only reason I knew about the guy was because he turned up in the media area at a national ice hockey game last year and stood out with his choice of attire (bright colours reflect badly in the glass and into shots) and a general lack of knowledge on settings. Online, he listed himself as an experienced motorsport and ice hockey league photographer ::)

I'm not sure how the accreditation works there but if you got the access Matt, you would still be able to shoot from some of your favourite spots in addition to the new opportunities presented :)

Over here you need to prove you shoot for a paper/broadcaster/team. Something which it is difficult to do because so many are willing to do it for free, getting even your expenses covered would be a tall order. You then need to provide all sorts of insurances. Even then its difficult. In the BTCC for instance, one photographer is the sports official tog, and covers about 6 teams at least individually that I can think of. No idea if he gets paid, but many of the ones I see stick around for half the race before heading back to the media centre to get the photos to the news websites/twitter feeds so they can be posted immediately after the race.

Now I am sure there are some places that do courses where you get the access in exchange for the tuition, but I'd rather enjoy my photography, not have the pressure and enjoy the racing. Would be nice to try the trackside access and at least see what I can do, but hey, maybe that is for another time.

Upvote 0
Wheelstand_zpsnst3co3z.jpg

Danny Lansdowne had some trouble keeping his green Holden station wagon on the ground at the recent Sydney Jamboree at Sydney Dragway. I was using a Canon 7D2 with 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II at various lengths - 1/640th @ f5.6

BTW I have loaded this a half dozen times and I don't know why but it keeps putting up two copies of this instead of one. Stuffed it I know why

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Nick.
Wow, great series, it looks like that was one heck of a ride! Bucking bronco springs to mind.

Cheers, Graham.

Nitro Nick said:
Danny Lansdowne had some trouble keeping his green Holden station wagon on the ground at the recent Sydney Jamboree at Sydney Dragway. I was using a Canon 7D2 with 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II at various lengths - 1/640th @ f5.6

BTW I have loaded this a half dozen times and I don't know why but it keeps putting up two copies of this instead of one. Stuffed it I know why

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
dhr90 said:
Roo said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Matt.

Cheers, Graham.

dhr90 said:
Thanks guys.

Over here you need to prove you shoot for a paper/broadcaster/team. Something which it is difficult to do because so many are willing to do it for free, getting even your expenses covered would be a tall order. You then need to provide all sorts of insurances. Even then its difficult. In the BTCC for instance, one photographer is the sports official tog, and covers about 6 teams at least individually that I can think of. No idea if he gets paid, but many of the ones I see stick around for half the race before heading back to the media centre to get the photos to the news websites/twitter feeds so they can be posted immediately after the race.

Now I am sure there are some places that do courses where you get the access in exchange for the tuition, but I'd rather enjoy my photography, not have the pressure and enjoy the racing. Would be nice to try the trackside access and at least see what I can do, but hey, maybe that is for another time.

The only insurance you need to prove is Public Liability which is pretty much standard on any business policy and if your a working photographer you should have insurance. So that's not a big deal... but you need £5M.

BTCC - sorry but that's not true I'm a motorsport photographer and have shot the BTCC numerous times. The BTCC is not exclusive like F1 anyone with any sort of media credentials can apply for BTCC you literally email them, most of the time you don't even need to send them any images just the fact you work for a media outlet. Generally They are desperate to get more info out about the sport so any media accreditation will do. There are literally hundreds of outlets working these races.

But I have been doing it for a while and know a few people so I don't have any trouble.

The way I started out, I'm 28 and my first motorsport event was when I was 21. I shot weddings, landscapes, editorial and automotive club meets etc at the time. I then started to work for a newspaper and I have always been a petrol head, had a nice car that I used to show at Silverstone Classics with the Z4-forum so all I did was get in touch with the media team that ran the event had my editor write a letter to say I represented them and that was that, they didn't need any proof that he was actually the editor or my ID its that simple. From then on I shot for the motors column and have shot most motorsport events apart from F1 in the UK for the last 8 or so years. Some will ask for a PDF of images in a magazine or newspaper but very rarely.

All you have to do is ask the question and many people aren't willing to. Its not an elite club or anything just people who are passionate about what they do and trying to make some money while doing it.

BTW getting your expenses paid... if you have a photographic business that's your deal to sort out just like any other business.

Being a motorsport photographer doesn't pay a huge amount but I don't do it for that I do it for the cars and the enjoyment. If you wanted to be rich than being a photographer is not the right industry to be in!

I have posted these before but I will post them again.

N0. 78 1965 2.0 Porsche 911 Classic GT Cars (pre '66) Silverstone Classics 2016 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Sideways Action, Historic Formula 1, Silverstone Classics 25th Anniversary by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Courage C26S, Group C, 1989, Sarthe, Silverstone Classics 2015 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

BMW CSL 1973, Batmobile, Colin Turkington, Jet Super Touring Car Trophy, Silverstone Classic 2014 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Jaguar - Art of Performance Tour by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Here is a few images I shot from the BTCC in 2010, the only ones I have uploaded atm many of my images are owned by the companies I shoot for meaning I cant put them into the public domain without permission.

BTCC, Oulton Park 2010, Forster Motorsport, BMW 320si, Martin Depper by Tom Scott, on Flickr

BTCC, Oulton Park 2010, Renault Clio Cup by Tom Scott, on Flickr

The car I used to show while shooting the event on the BMW stand

TSP_SC (368 of 191) by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Think this is the only pic I have of me trackside

10548054_653519896583_363973512017196010_o.jpg

One fun moment I did have was a Ferrari F40 LM edition coming down Hangar Straight and spun out at nearly 200mph, the only thing that keeps you away from the cars is a gravel pit (which is effective) and 3 rows of tyres stapled together. Anyway the car spun out because of a seized caliper when he applied the brake, he hit the gravel and it was like a tsunami of gavel literally dived out the way hehe! thankfully all was well but was picking gravel out of everywhere for a couple of days! Its not for the feint hearted that's for sure!

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Congrats to first time winner Valtteri Bottas! Here are some I got of him at work in Melbourne :)

Thankfully those silly T wings and mobile billboards (sharkfins) will be gone next year...

Attachments

• GP Friday (149 of 174).jpg
    GP Friday (149 of 174).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
  • GP Friday (33 of 174).jpg
    GP Friday (33 of 174).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
  • GP Saturday (125 of 128).jpg
    GP Saturday (125 of 128).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
  • GP Friday (34 of 174).jpg
    GP Friday (34 of 174).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Very nice shots, some impressive panning blur for 1/100 sec, I guess they are going somewhat faster than the cars I shoot which make me go to 1/40th sec to get anywhere close! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
Congrats to fist time winner Valtteri Bottas! Here are some I got of him at work in Melbourne :)

Thankfully those silly T wings and mobile billboards (sharkfins) will be gone next year...

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Valvebounce said:
Hi Roo.
Very nice shots, some impressive panning blur for 1/100 sec, I guess they are going somewhat faster than the cars I shoot which make me go to 1/40th sec to get anywhere close! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Roo said:
Congrats to fist time winner Valtteri Bottas! Here are some I got of him at work in Melbourne :)

Thanks Graham! At that point they would be doing just a bit north of 200 through the bend.

Upvote 0