Your favourite motorsports events

Great shot Roo. I was literally shouting at the TV all the way at the last lap when Alex did that winning pass through turn 2 and onwards.

I'm always amazed how pros like you can get the bikes so tack-sharp, and still use f/4. I struggle so much to get them sharp even with amateur level riders (which ride much slower than the MotoGP demigods).

The EXIF did not contain the lens - but since it says 560mm and f/4 I'm assuming that you are using an 400mm + 1.4x TC. RF or EF?

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Great shot Roo. I was literally shouting at the TV all the way at the last lap when Alex did that winning pass through turn 2 and onwards.

I'm always amazed how pros like you can get the bikes so tack-sharp, and still use f/4. I struggle so much to get them sharp even with amateur level riders (which ride much slower than the MotoGP demigods).

The EXIF did not contain the lens - but since it says 560mm and f/4 I'm assuming that you are using an 400mm + 1.4x TC. RF or EF?
Thanks very much. I still have a lot of misses too. I was using the EF MkIII with 1.4 and 3 stop ND.

The race was amazing - had Bagnaia held Rins through Southern Loop, I doubt he would have been beaten. Rins was really good heading in to Southern Loop but Bagnaia could hold him out of there and around to Honda/Miller corner. Marquez was strong through Hayshed but Bagnaia was just so good over the top of Lukey Heights and into MG. The disappointing thing for me was Miller getting taken out - hard to imagine, but it could have been an even more thrilling finish with a couple of extra riders in the mix.Australian MotoGP 2022 (215 of 657).jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Awesome! I really like this shot!
a025.gif
Well done, Roo.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks very much. I still have a lot of misses too. I was using the EF MkIII with 1.4 and 3 stop ND.

The race was amazing - had Bagnaia held Rins through Southern Loop, I doubt he would have been beaten. Rins was really good heading in to Southern Loop but Bagnaia could hold him out of there and around to Honda/Miller corner. Marquez was strong through Hayshed but Bagnaia was just so good over the top of Lukey Heights and into MG. The disappointing thing for me was Miller getting taken out - hard to imagine, but it could have been an even more thrilling finish with a couple of extra riders in the mix.
Abosolutely devastating for Miller to be taken out by Alex Marquez that way. AM73 usually doesn't do things like that, so I wonder what happened. Nakagami torpedoed Rins and Bagnaia in a similar fashion at Catalunya, so I wonder if there's something up with the Honda.

The Island seem to throw up tight races, just like The Cathedral (TT Assen). This year was the 4th time I've been to Assen and was using the R3 + EF 200-400, but I had horrible keeper rates. Standing at the GT chicane (shooting from slightly down the main straight, so the riders coming towards me), I had entire series (10-15 images or more) with a rider going through the chicane, but none were in focus, even though the "vehicle detection" was on and indicated it had detected a motorcycle.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
The Island seem to throw up tight races, just like The Cathedral (TT Assen). This year was the 4th time I've been to Assen and was using the R3 + EF 200-400, but I had horrible keeper rates. Standing at the GT chicane (shooting from slightly down the main straight, so the riders coming towards me), I had entire series (10-15 images or more) with a rider going through the chicane, but none were in focus, even though the "vehicle detection" was on and indicated it had detected a motorcycle.
It's funny, I had a mate send me a message that a UK tog was recommending using people detection for the R3 when shooting motogp. I immediately replied BS as I had just finished testing it by accident. I hadn't switched off people detection on my alternate (*) settings and it was hunting for a target on anything but a motorcycle with a rider. As soon as I switched it back to vehicle, it locked hard every time.

Celestino Vietti on the Mooney VR46 Racing Team Kalex. 1/50th, f8, iso 200

Australian MotoGP 2022 (615 of 657).jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2012
Great photos Roo! The ND is a great idea, I've never shot bikes with one. I usually stop down, but the ND lets you keep the bokeh.

I try and shoot some racing when I'm not on the bike and was wondering if you panned for that shot of Garcia. Garcia is tack sharp, but Sasaki is showing some motion blur. Vietti's photo is an even better example of that.

Also, that photo of Garcia demonstrates exactly why I encourage fellow riders to go with clear visors when I'm taking photos for them. Mind if I borrow it to keep as an example?

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Great photos Roo! The ND is a great idea, I've never shot bikes with one. I usually stop down, but the ND lets you keep the bokeh.

I try and shoot some racing when I'm not on the bike and was wondering if you panned for that shot of Garcia. Garcia is tack sharp, but Sasaki is showing some motion blur. Vietti's photo is an even better example of that.

Also, that photo of Garcia demonstrates exactly why I encourage fellow riders to go with clear visors when I'm taking photos for them. Mind if I borrow it to keep as an example?
Thank you. The ND served a double purpose - it got me under 1/125th sec on a really bright sunny day here and it also keeps the aperture out of dust spot range. The dust spots are not so much of a problem with the R3 but it was with the 1Dx2 and 3. Using the ND is not a problem as I don't often go above 1/320th for motorsport.

I was following Garcia from his approach into the corner and it was shot at 1/60th.

If you go back to page 39, there are more photos of the rider's eyes from MotoGP here in 2019. Cal Crutchlow is a great one to get with a lightly smoked/clear visor. MotoGP Friday 2019 P1 (59).jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Thank you. The ND served a double purpose - it got me under 1/125th sec on a really bright sunny day here and it also keeps the aperture out of dust spot range. The dust spots are not so much of a problem with the R3 but it was with the 1Dx2 and 3. Using the ND is not a problem as I don't often go above 1/320th for motorsport.

So that's a 52mm drop-in variable ND filter? I have the drop-in CPOL which costs about 1 stop, but maybe a 3-stop ND might be worth-while.

What's the distance you are shooting at?

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
So that's a 52mm drop-in variable ND filter? I have the drop-in CPOL which costs about 1 stop, but maybe a 3-stop ND might be worth-while.

What's the distance you are shooting at?
A 52 mm drop-in 3-stop ND, I've not seen a variable one. At the Island, I'm generally shooting at between 25 - 80m. The rider in the background of the Munoz shot is about 150m away

Upvote 0
A 52 mm drop-in 3-stop ND, I've not seen a variable one. At the Island, I'm generally shooting at between 25 - 80m. The rider in the background of the Munoz shot is about 150m away
THanks. There is a VND drop-in version of the new EF-RF adapter. I have been trying to find any ND filters that drops into the Big Whites, but no luck so far. Is it an original Canon drop-in filter, a gelatine that you put in the standard filter folder, or a 3rd party drop-in filter?

Thanks for the distance info. So not majorly different from my shooting distance, which eliminates that factor. Looks like that The Idiot Behind The Camera^TM is the major contributing factor :(

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
THanks. There is a VND drop-in version of the new EF-RF adapter. I have been trying to find any ND filters that drops into the Big Whites, but no luck so far. Is it an original Canon drop-in filter, a gelatine that you put in the standard filter folder, or a 3rd party drop-in filter?
Sorry, I missed that bit about the drop in filter - there is a Canon drop in screw filter holder I bought for the 200-400 years ago. It takes a 52 mm filter which makes it pretty cheap but you have to be careful with the band width of the filter or it won't fit. The Canon protect filter that comes with it is a good guide but I've had no problems with the Hoya 52mm PROND filters.

Upvote 0