Zhongyi Optics launches the Mitakon APO 200mm f/4 Macro 1X for RF

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
There have been many false dawns for RF third-party lenses thus far. When the Samyang RF lenses were introduced, I thought that was the start of a concerted RF third-party lenses build-up, but that lost steam quickly. Now that Sigma seems to be signalling that they would be introducing RF mount lenses, would this announcement be finally kicking-off the party?

Upvote 0
There have been many false dawns for RF third-party lenses thus far. When the Samyang RF lenses were introduced, I thought that was the start of a concerted RF third-party lenses build-up, but that lost steam quickly. Now that Sigma seems to be signalling that they would be introducing RF mount lenses, would this announcement be finally kicking-off the party?
Huh? What are you talking about?

One, this is a full-manual lens. There have been tons of those for RF with no sign of stopping. There is nothing really new about this lens. Nothing is kicking off or changing.

There is a Voigtländer MF lens that was actually approved by Canon (if those are what you're looking for). It does communicate for the non-focus stuff.

Meike recently announced an autofocus 85mm f/1.4, but this has not actually been released, and I have pretty strong doubts that it is actually "approved."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Huh? What are you talking about?…. I have pretty strong doubts that it is actually "approved."

After 35 years as a loyal Canon user, I never been so disappointed with the brand. I never bought 3rd party lenses, but now I need them more then ever for the R system and they are playing bullies by restricting 3rd party manufacturers.

As a professional photographer I am of the view that Canon killed off the EF system prematurely. I’m desperate for a 5D MkV with EF mount

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
After 35 years as a loyal Canon user, I never been so disappointed with the brand. I never bought 3rd party lenses, but now I need them more then ever for the R system and they are playing bullies by restricting 3rd party manufacturers.

As a professional photographer I am of the view that Canon killed off the EF system prematurely. I’m desperate for a 5D MkV with EF mount

All R system cameras have EF mount, it's just extra 99€, and you can do the conversion on your own, it also reverts in seconds, and you can convert and revert as many times as you like ;) and the 5D MkV has actually been released some time ago, it's called R5 :geek:

A suggestion? Just buy EF Sigma Art lenses, they cost a third of equivalent RF lens, while being at least on pair and often much better.
No real need to buy RF lenses, they're the worst choice price/performance wise; I had three (16, 35 and 85 STM's), ended up selling all of them for various reasons, I then just bought the RF 50 STM to have a light and compact everyday setup (so no adapter) with the RP, but I think that will be my last RF lens for the short to medium future.

Best lenses for R cameras are EF lenses, there's no doubt.

Upvote 0
No, Zhongyi/Mitakon is one of several manufacturers who have been doing manual lenses in RF mount for a while. Canon only stomped on the manufacturers doing electronically-coupled lenses or adapters, not the ones doing bare metal mounts.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
This is non news again. If it aint AF, forget it.
Indeed, AF is important, especially for these 0.95 lenses.
However, for macro, it is not that important to me. To reduce the cost, i can leave with it. The thing that worries me is those manual lenses that cost as much as lenses with AF.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Another junk lens from China that doesn't autofocus, looks like an ungainly relic from the 1980s, and has poor specs. A top flight upgrade to the ol' 180mm Canon is desperately needed. Ideally a 200mm f/2.8 or f/3.5, 77mm filter ring preferred (82mm max), and a razor-sharp technical lens design. In addition to autofocus, IS would be very welcome. While the soft focus was an interesting curiosity added to the 100mm RF, I would recommend the designers skip it for this lens. I'm hopeful that with the wider mount they can move elements rearward to achieve a well-balanced lens with similar overall weight to the 180mm.

For me, the 180mm EF has been a workhorse, probably covering 100k+ shutter activations alone. Canon has treated macro lenses as 'amateur' lenses, but the long macro working distance is essential for many professionals. I would urge Canon to treat this as the professional lens it deserves to be.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Indeed, AF is important, especially for these 0.95 lenses.
However, for macro, it is not that important to me. To reduce the cost, i can leave with it. The thing that worries me is those manual lenses that cost as much as lenses with AF.
I can only partly agree with what you said about AF and macro lenses. Quite often, manual focusing is the best choice.
But what if you need real quick focusing? Think of a butterfly, for instance. A longer focal macro lens is ideally suited for such shots, but not a manually focusing one.
I often use my EF 180 manually for macros, but also use it as a tele lens for non macro pictures, exclusively with AF!

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I can only partly agree with what you said about AF and macro lenses. Quite often, manual focusing is the best choice.
But what if you need real quick focusing? Think of a butterfly, for instance. A longer focal macro lens is ideally suited for such shots, but not a manually focusing one.
I often use my EF 180 manually for macros, but also use it as a tele lens for non macro pictures, exclusively with AF!
Totally true!

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Not tempted by the RF 70-200 2.8? I love my EF version image quality, but I am not so enthusiastic about its size and weight ....

I'm tented by everything :LOL: but my EF 70-200 is worth around 450€ used, add the EF extender that I should also sell as would then be useless to me, another 150€ or so, we're in the ballpark of 600/700€ at best, while the RF is average 2.500€ (which is a little less then 2 months of income for me, before taxes...); it's my least used lens, so spending extra 1.800€ is simply out of question, I cannot justify it in any way both from a business perspective and from a personal perspective, I should stop eating for 6 months to make up for that!
I would probably switch if the RF was 1.000€, and I would think (but ending up not doing it) to switch if RF was 1200/1500€ max; so there are AT LEAST 1.000€ too many to even be remotely tempted :)

I'll end up switching the day that I'll be able to buy the RF second hand around 1000€, which I'm pretty sure would never happen in the next 10 or even 15 years :rolleyes: so either I'm not switching at all (my EF 70-200 still kicks hard! And I'm talking about the very first one, non-IS version from 1995), or I confide in Mother Sigma, Father Tamron or Sister Tokina, if Canon will start to licence RF autofocus protocols to the third party gang. But still, I'll have to wait for second hand stuff also from them.

Consider this: I switch lenses as I switch panties, and believe me I'm a pretty clean guy ahah if you see my actual lens roster, the 24-70 is 1yo, the RF 50 arrived this Monday, the 40 Art arrived today (and to be able to afford it, I had to sell both the RF 35 and the 50 Art, they entirely paid for it), the 135 Art (that I'm selling now) is 6yo, and the 28-105 is like 2yo (but I had other 3 or 4 copies in the past). So everything pretty recent.
The 70-200 is 14yo; I had the old 80-200 f2.8 L, sold it in 2009 to buy the 70-200 (80-200 couldn't use Canon extenders) and I have NEVER EVER changed it (in the meantime I had between 50 and 60 lenses since 1999), that can easily clarify why it's surely the last lens that I would convert to RF, as its use is very reduced, it accounts for less then 2% of my pictures.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Not false dawns. In China, Yongnuo already re-start their selling of RF 85mm f1.8, and on Taobao you can get the RF 35mm f2(The one same as E mount).

Upvote 0

I am a Canon user since 2019 (M50). Recently, I purchased Canon R10. I am really disappointed as well. I need third-party lenses as well as more RF-S Canon lenses.
RF-s system needs
  1. An overall zoom lens with IS and fast aperture (travel lens) like RF-s 15-85mm F2.8-4 (Rumored to have a patent but still no news??)
  2. A fast prime for 22m f2 (where is canon's R&D team??)

Upvote 0
As much as I hate the new 100mm RF macro, this is not what I’m after. I still want AF and IS.

I prefer the EF 100mm macro version without the soft focus BS as it also has a longer distance between subject and front element at close focus and 1:1.
The new 100mm RF macro is an excellent lens based upon my experience of using it.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Not false dawns. In China, Yongnuo already re-start their selling of RF 85mm f1.8, and on Taobao you can get the RF 35mm f2(The one same as E mount).
I do not think third-party lenses ever stopped selling in China.
They have some very loose patent protections.
That is why I always thought it was silly to offshore manufacturing there.

Upvote 0