Adobe updates Lightroom
Beyond bug fixes, Adobe has added support for new cameras as well as new lens profiles.
Newly Supported Cameras
- Canon EOS 650D / Rebel T4i
- Canon EOS M
Newly Supported Cameras for Tethered Shooting
- Canon EOS Kiss X5
- Canon EOS Kiss REBEL T3i
- Canon EOS 600D
- Canon EOS Kiss X50
- Canon EOS REBEL T3
- Canon EOS 1100D
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Canon EOS 1D X
New Lens Profiles
- Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM
- Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM
- Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
- Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
- Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
- Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Download Adobe Lightroom 4.2
From Magic Lantern
The Magic Lantern project continues to release new versions of their popular modification package for various Canon EOS cameras.
The Magic Lantern Features
- Customizable menu and shortcut keys
- Fast zebras
- Automatic HDR bracketing
- A powerful timelapse tool
- Contrast and saturation adjustments for LiveView
- Image analysis tools in photo mode
- Very fast playback zoom
- Advanced FPS control
- Advanced ISO control
Magic Lantern 2.3 works with the Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 60D, Canon Rebel T3i and a few other EOS models.
Download Magic Lantern 2.3 (Free/Donation)
Lots of small things
The rumor mill has started to heat up as of late, most of the stuff seems pretty out there. However, stuff is appearing on other sites and in my inbox. I’m not sure how much of it is recycled speculation, but that does happen from time to time.
I’ll rate each bit of information on its own.
3 new DSLR bodies this summer [CR1]
A mention of 3 new EOS bodies before Photokina in September. Only one of them being a full frame camera. It was suggested that an “entry level” full frame camera wouldn’t be announced and it would be an upper level EOS-1D style camera.
7D Mark II to be full frame? [CR1]
I’ve seen this in my inbox a few times, and it has shown up on [cw]. I’ve never really believed this one, I don’t think they can call it “7D Mark II” and change the sensor size from a marketing perspective. There are lots of EF-S lenses in the hands of 7D owners.
I have no doubt there will be a full frame camera under the 5D Mark III, but it can’t have all the prosumer features of the 7D to retain the moniker and stay around $2000. That just doesn’t seem like smart marketing. But hey, I’m not in marketing. :)
Canon EOS 70D [CR1]
More mentions of the 70D moving up the ranks in the APS-C realm and becoming the flagship APS-C camera. We’ve heard similar things and think it’s entirely plausible.
Adobe Photoshop CS6 Review
We have posted Ben Long’s review of the Adobe’s latest version of Photoshop, Read it here.
The speculated “entry level” full frame Nikon D600 looks to be quite real. Check the photo evidence here.
The Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4.1 update includes these enhancements:
- The ability to process HDR TIFF files. (16, 24 or 32-bit TIFF files)
- Additional Color Fringing corrections to help address chromatic aberration.
- Save photobooks created in the Book Module to JPEG
- Publishing photos to Adobe Revel is now accessible via a Publish plugin
- Additional camera support for several new cameras including the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Fujifilm X-Pro1, Nikon D800, and Olympus OM-D E-M5.
- Corrections for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.
Download: PC | Mac
Camera Raw 7.1 Update
This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original Camera Raw plug-in that was installed with Adobe® Creative Suite® 6, Adobe Photoshop® CS6.
Support for the following cameras has been added in this update. Visit the Camera Raw page for a complete list of supported cameras.
- Canon EOS 1D X
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Canon EOS 60Da
- Canon PowerShot G1 X
- Canon PowerShot S100V
Download: PC | Mac
Adobe has released a new release candidate for Adobe Camera RAW. We’re up to version 7.1.
New Features & Lens Profiles
Camera Raw 7.1 adds new Defringe controls to help address chromatic aberration. Defringe is available as part of the Lens Correction panel. Camera Raw can also now read 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit HDR files. Supported HDR formats are TIFF and DNG.
- Canon EF 35mm f/2
- Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX Fish-Eye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5
Download Camera RAW 7.1
Adobe has begun shipping Creative Suite 6 today. It’s also available for download and purchase on their web site.
For the moment, you will only be able to upgrade to CS6 via Adobe.com. So if you just want to upgrade Photoshop CS5 to CS6, you have to do it via the web here.
It can be done!
The folks at Magic Lantern have shown the hack can be ported to the new 5D Mark III.
This is all very preliminary and I wouldn’t expect to see the software available for some time. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Source: [EOSHD] via [Magic Lantern]
Adobe Lightroom 4.1 RC2
Adobe has released a new release candidate for Lightroom 4.1. It has added support for the Canon 60Da, the 5D Mark III was added in RC1.
There are various other bug fixes, most notably bugs from RC1.
- Lightroom 4 did not properly open external applications when using the “Edit In” functionality.
- Point Curve adjustments made in Lightroom 3 have been restored.
- Addressed performance issues in Lightroom 4, particularly when loading GPS track logs, using a secondary monitor, and the controls within the Develop module.
- Ability to update DNG previews and metadata for more than 100 photos has been restored.
- This update allows for improved viewing of subfolders and stacks in folders with a large number of photos.
- It was possible that a layout of a saved book could be lost after quitting Lightroom 4.
You can download RC2 from Adobe Labs.
SAN JOSE, Calif. — April 23, 2012 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced Adobe® Photoshop® CS6 and Photoshop CS6 Extended software, major releases of the undisputed standard for professional digital imaging. Packed with new features and enhancements, the software includes groundbreaking innovations and unparalleled performance breakthroughs that expand the frontiers of imaging science, and deliver new levels of creativity and increased efficiency. Photoshop CS6 Extended integrates the state-of-the-art editing, compositing, and graphic design capabilities of Photoshop CS6, as well as advanced tools for 3D design*, image and video editing, and quantitative analysis which address the unique needs of the graphic design, video, Web, architecture, medical, manufacturing and engineering industries.
“Creativity is at the very center of our efforts – both in developing exceptional tools, and enabling our users to create beautiful imagery that stands out from the visual clutter around us,” said Winston Hendrickson, vice president products, Creative Media Solutions, Adobe. “Photoshop CS6 is unrivaled in capabilities and power and – as we have seen from the astonishing reception of our recent public beta – has once again captured the imagination of the worldwide creative community. ‘Photoshop magic’ is alive and well with CS6.”
Since Photoshop CS6 was released as a public beta on March 22 for Mac OS and Microsoft® Windows® platforms, there have been nearly one million downloads of the software worldwide – surpassing any public beta in Adobe’s history. With this launch, Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS6 Extended can be purchased as stand-alone applications, key components of the Adobe Creative Suite 6 family (see separate press release), and now as part of Adobe’s revolutionary Creative Cloud™ offering, also announced today (see separate release).
Create with Imaging Innovation and Peak Performance
Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS6 Extended deliver unparalleled speed and power combined with the creative tools necessary to perform advanced image manipulation, design, motion‐based content editing, and compositing. The software helps users to patch images with control for exceptional results; edit with real-time interactions and a fluid feel powered by the new Mercury Graphics Engine; easily edit video; perform automatic tone mapping and sharpening; and use improved design tools for better results with fewer steps. Creative customers will be able to take advantage of an efficient, modern UI that puts all focus on images, and sync settings and preferences for consistent workflows across multiple devices via Adobe Creative Cloud.
“Adobe Photoshop CS6 gives Trek powerful design tools to help bring our creative vision to a reality faster and with greater control than ever before. The responsiveness of the new Mercury Graphics Engine is simply breathtaking and being able to see the results instantaneously helps us keep to our extremely tight timelines,” said Eric Lynn, creative director, Trek Bicycle. “We often work with large files that include more than 500 layers and being able to search them all – and continue working while saving a large document – is invaluable to our workflow and a huge time saver for us.”
Photoshop CS6 features include:
- Content-Aware Patch – Allows greater control by letting users choose the sample area used to create a patch.
- Adobe Mercury Graphics Engine – Takes advantage of the graphics processing unit in modern hardware to speed up imaging and editing tasks, and process large images faster.
- New and Re-engineered Design Tools – Type styles enable consistent formatting; vector layers apply strokes and add gradients to vector objects; custom strokes and dashed lines are easily created; quick layers search and more.
- Intuitive Video Creation – The full range of familiar Photoshop tools and an intuitive set of new video tools to create and enhance any video clip.
- Blur Gallery – A simple new interface with on-image and in-context controls allows users to quickly create photographic blur effects including tilt-shift effects, blur everything with one focal point, or vary the blurriness between multiple focal points.
Photoshop CS6 Extended includes all Photoshop CS6 features and:
- Mercury Graphics Engine for 3D – Increased power and speed via engine optimized for 3D imaging.
- New 3D Controls – UI improvements for more efficient 3D workflows.
- New 3D Effects – Reflections and “drag-able” shadows to enhance images.
Adobe Creative Cloud and Digital Imaging
Adobe Creative Cloud gives creative customers a new option for purchasing and experiencing Adobe software innovation, including Adobe Photoshop CS6:
- Creative Cloud membership provides designers with access to download and install every new Adobe CS6 application announced today and two new HTML5 products, Adobe Muse™ and Adobe Edge preview.
- Creative Cloud powers the integration of creative tablet applications, such as Photoshop Touch, into everyday work – seamlessly synchronizing and storing files in the cloud, for sharing and access on any device.
- Creative Cloud members will be able to easily deliver mobile apps to iOS and Android marketplaces and publish, manage and host websites.
- Adobe Creative Cloud members will receive access to application upgrades, including new Photoshop features – before they are launched as part of a major update, as well as inventive new products and services, as they emerge. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® 4 will be offered as part of Creative Cloud membership in the future.
Live Streamed Webcast
The launch event for Adobe Creative Cloud and CS6 will be streamed live beginning at 10 a.m. PT, April 23 atwww.adobe.com/special/cs6/launch-event.html and will be available there as a continuous rebroadcast from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. PT on April 23. An on-demand version will be available at http://tv.adobe.com beginning April 24.
Pricing and Availability
Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, Adobe Creative Suite 6 editions and Adobe Creative Cloud are scheduled to be available within 30 days and can be pre-ordered now. Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS6 Extended will also be available through Adobe Authorized Resellers, the Adobe Store and Adobe Direct Sales; estimated street price for Photoshop CS6 is US$699 and US$999 for Photoshop CS6 Extended. Upgrade pricing is also available to eligible customers. Subscription pricing for Photoshop CS6 is US$19.99 per month for an annual contract and US$29.99 for a month-to-month contract. For more detailed information about features, OS support, system requirements, upgrade policies and pricing, please visitwww.adobe.com/photoshop.
Adobe Creative Cloud membership for individuals is US$49.99 per month based on annual membership and US$74.99 per month based on month-to-month membership and includes access to Photoshop CS6 Extended. A special introductory offer of US$29.99 per month for CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS5.5 individual customers is also available. Learn more atwww.adobe.com/go/creativecloud.
Multicamera audio syncing made super quick and easy
I watched a demo by Bruce Sharpe at Singular software, he was showing off their software package PluralEyes.
PluralEyes is a product that ties in with your existing video editing software like Final Cut, Premier, Media Composer and others. It removes the tedious work of syncing audio from multiple camera sources, and it does it in seconds.
We saw a demo of the upcoming PluralEyes3, which is 10-15 times faster than the already speedy PluralEyes. About 90 minutes of video from 3 cameras was synced in about 25 seconds. There was a nice applause when it completed.
Someone asked “why everyone didn’t use PluralEyes?” and the answer was, “because people just don’t know about us”. So I’m here doing my part. The product is pretty remarkable and it’s so unblievably well priced at $149, everyone can afford to use it.
If you purchase PluralEyes in the next month or two, you will get a free upgrade to PluralEyes3 when it becomes available. The public beta of PluralEyes3 starts in May.
You can download a free 30 day demo at the Singular Software site.