BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Great series Alan!

These are a few weeks old. I actually just got back from 2 weeks of travel for work (UK and Belgium). Right before I left, I tried again for the short eared owls....but fog had rolled in there at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge.

Fog can work....

small--48.jpg

small--50.jpgsmall--54.jpgsmall--55.jpgsmall--37.jpgsmall--57.jpg

While dehaze can do a lot to clean these images up, I do like to present it close to how it appeared while there, which was pretty foggy.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Great series Alan!

These are a few weeks old. I actually just got back from 2 weeks of travel for work (UK and Belgium). Right before I left, I tried again for the short eared owls....but fog had rolled in there at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge.

Fog can work....

View attachment 215543

View attachment 215545View attachment 215546View attachment 215547View attachment 215548View attachment 215549

While dehaze can do a lot to clean these images up, I do like to present it close to how it appeared while there, which was pretty foggy.
I only can see fog a few times a year and it usually clears up by the time most people would be finishing breakfast. I don't know if this typical, but at least I love to see fog and an owl in the fog is even better!
Anyway, beautiful shots!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Here I see (can we call it?) fog if I go high in the mountain - into the low clouds...
I'm not sure if that's called fog or not, but I love seeing photos from just above the cloud or fog.
by the way, I remember some lens company has a frog coating for their lenses. When I go from a much cooler place into a much warmer place, I get a fog coating. I didn't even pay extra!

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I am up here in New Hampshire, USA. We do tend to get fog, mostly in the spring and fall. But at Parker River, that is right on the ocean. It was actually a great day inland with sunny skies and warm temperatures. The fog was just probably within 200 yds/meters of the ocean, which makes sense as the warm moist air was from inland was probably hitting its dew point as it collided with the cool air above the cold ocean forming the fog.

One picture of the sun breaking through the fog as I waited for the shorty:
small-1953.jpg

Ok, this is a BIF thread....Back to Florida in late February...still have most of the second day to go through. But I did like this sequence. In real time, I just threw up my camera at a Fish Crow flying by. I did see it briefly stutter in flight, and captured this sequence:

small-0025.jpg

small-0026.jpg

Apparently, not interested....
small-0029.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am up here in New Hampshire, USA. We do tend to get fog, mostly in the spring and fall. But at Parker River, that is right on the ocean. It was actually a great day inland with sunny skies and warm temperatures. The fog was just probably within 200 yds/meters of the ocean, which makes sense as the warm moist air was from inland was probably hitting its dew point as it collided with the cool air above the cold ocean forming the fog.

One picture of the sun breaking through the fog as I waited for the shorty:
View attachment 215551

Ok, this is a BIF thread....Back to Florida in late February...still have most of the second day to go through. But I did like this sequence. In real time, I just threw up my camera at a Fish Crow flying by. I did see it briefly stutter in flight, and captured this sequence:

View attachment 215552

View attachment 215553

Apparently, not interested....
View attachment 215555
Was that with the EF 500 f/4? It's very sharp and looks too good for the 200-800mm with BIF.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I'm not sure if that's called fog or not, but I love seeing photos from just above the cloud or fog.
by the way, I remember some lens company has a frog coating for their lenses. When I go from a much cooler place into a much warmer place, I get a fog coating. I didn't even pay extra!
C'mon Eric:): "I remember some lens company has a frog coating for their lenses.":ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:...
Do you mean this: https://petapixel.com/2016/09/09/demo-laowas-water-repellent-frog-eye-lens-coating-amazing/

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Better day today - I go to that location (after I already got the Red-footed Booby!) for two reasons: To shoot a Masked Booby or a Great-frigate Bird. I have some mediocre (bad actually!) photos of the last and none of the first (Masked are not very common here).
Today: first two photos are of Wedge-tailed Shear-water.
After that: Typical (for Hawaii - white tailed!) Red-footed Booby (adult), young Red-footed and the not typical for Hawaii black-tailed form (well on that day I saw and photographed at least 10-15 of them!). All these are old photos - for comparison.
The last (and worst! - I have to go many more times to get one acceptable!): the Masked Booby. New species in my collection!

DSC_4903_DxO.jpgDSC_4910_DxO.jpgSula sula - Red-footed Booby 12_DxO.jpgDSC_6775_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_8157_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_8179_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_4972_DxO-1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
  • Haha
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 5 users