Canon’s upcoming announcements recap

Jan 11, 2016
What might the R5II offer to tempt a very, very happy R5 owner? I'm asking myself how much better could a camera get for predominantly stills photographers...
Eye-Control AF. It works great for me on my R3s, so much so that I don't use any other method to select AF areas any more, and I wish I had it on the R5. I don't know if Canon will make this an R1/R3 exclusive feature though.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What might the R5II offer to tempt a very, very happy R5 owner? I'm asking myself how much better could a camera get for predominantly stills photographers...
I'm wondering the same about the R1, compared to the R3. I can think of a few things, but I'm not sure they'll be included. On the other hand...

R1.png

;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I agree with you, I have 2 R5's at this point and I shoot mainly wildlife, I am banging out keepers on a continuous that I wouldn't never been able to before, I don't see the need to upgrade at all to a version II at this point. I'm just super happy with the R5
Maybe there is a certain mindset that is more about envy, about the grass is greener, so I'm going to brand X.

Starting from scratch, rational consumers should go with the best they can afford. But those who claim they have been "loyal to Canon for years," must know that Canon continues to make some of the best and most reliable gear on Earth, so I simply don't believe that somebody who has had success with a brand, and who has enjoyed shooting with it for a long period of time, would come here with a threatening tantrum. I honestly can't imagine what other impulses we might be seeing.

If I hadn't bought some RF gear a few years back, if I only had a Canon dSLR, even a 1-series, and a set of good EF glass, especially L, and I saw how well reviewed and solid the R5 has been, I'd either just buy an R5 or wait another month to see what the R5II might add. I wouldn't just dump my L glass and go play with a whole new set of gear--unless I had somebody else's money to burn (I'm thinking trust-fund here), and wanted to brag about having the latest and greatest.

(Guess I didn't get my irritation with tantrums out of my system. That's what I get for being off wheat, added sugar, and alcohol for a month!)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
I wouldn't just dump my L glass and go play with a whole new set of gear--unless I had somebody else's money to burn (I'm thinking trust-fund here), and wanted to brag about having the latest and greatest.
To be fair, if someone really had a trust-fund, why dump anything at all ;)? Just have everything -- Nikon Z, Sony E, Canon RF, heck let's add some Fuji GFX, Hasselblad, and Leica to the collection. Likely still cheaper buying sports cars haha.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
To be fair, if someone really had a trust-fund, why dump anything at all ;)? Just have everything -- Nikon Z, Sony E, Canon RF, heck let's add some Fuji GFX, Hasselblad, and Leica to the collection. Likely still cheaper buying sports cars haha.
You're right! You've done a good job capturing that mindset!

Upvote 0
Good poker face, blackoak. Can't tell if you are being facetious or obnoxious. I can't tell frack from friction anymore.

As a 100% stills shooter who shoots mainly portraits with strobes most often on location mixing ambient lighting I would love to see the rumored electronic shutter with a flash sync of 1/1250 as that would make it easier in some cases to not have to use HSS or ND filters but I often shoot at 1/2000 or 1/4000 because of wide open apertures. I don’t like the comprises Sony has had to make with their global shutter technology as it is now, so I think a non global shutter that is fast enough to do much higher flash sync is currently a better option but I would like to see that number be 1/4000 to cover most scenarios. Secondly I would love more pixels because tend to crop all my photos in a 16/9 ratio for a cinematic style and I’m already losing pixels because of that. I’m disappointed it’s rumored to be only 45 pixels. I get that’s because of video constraints but that’s what cinema cameras are for. I say make the R52 62 mp and the R5C2 45 mp then. I would also like the AF control cursor that’s on R3 as it faster and easier. And of course more dynamic range is always welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The R5 C Mark II being released alongside the R5 Mark II is almost too pie-in-the-sky for me to think about. I certainly think I'm personally more interested in an R5 C Mark II at this point that I am the R5 Mark II. Something about that dual operating systems just sounds so great to me.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
As a 100% stills shooter who shoots mainly portraits with strobes most often on location mixing ambient lighting I would love to see the rumored electronic shutter with a flash sync of 1/1250 as that would make it easier in some cases to not have to use HSS or ND filters but I often shoot at 1/2000 or 1/4000 because of wide open apertures. I don’t like the comprises Sony has had to make with their global shutter technology as it is now, so I think a non global shutter that is fast enough to do much higher flash sync is currently a better option but I would like to see that number be 1/4000 to cover most scenarios. Secondly I would love more pixels because tend to crop all my photos in a 16/9 ratio for a cinematic style and I’m already losing pixels because of that. I’m disappointed it’s rumored to be only 45 pixels. I get that’s because of video constraints but that’s what cinema cameras are for. I say make the R52 62 mp and the R5C2 45 mp then. I would also like the AF control cursor that’s on R3 as it faster and easier. And of course more dynamic range is always welcome.
The Hasselblad X2D seems to fit your use case well. The Hasselblad X lenses all have leaf shutters so they can flash sync at up to 1/2000, and the camera has 100 megapixels. Of course, it is a different price tier than even an R1.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Eye-Control AF. It works great for me on my R3s, so much so that I don't use any other method to select AF areas any more, and I wish I had it on the R5. I don't know if Canon will make this an R1/R3 exclusive feature though.
I hope not!
This is the feature I'd like to see on the R5 II. More than anything else!

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Some things that would make R5II a killer camera:

Pre shooting/recording in both still and video with a good size 3sec+ buffer

Eye control AF

Stacked BSI sensor 55mpx so it will do 9k oversampling footage

Handheld high resolution mode with RAW capability

Star tracker mode using IBIS

On sensor 4k and 2k video panning or animal tracking (let's see those AI features at work!)

1/1000+ flash sync

Upvote 0

I think the R5 II will have the R6 II AF system and probably more additional AF features. A faster sensor readout speed, maybe a few more MP, faster continuous FPS, better recording limits for video and most of the other features that are on modern RF bodies.

It might not be worth the upgrade for lots of existing R5 users but could be worth it for people with an older model.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I like eye-controlled AF. I’d use it a lot more if the Smart Controller wasn’t such a great way to pinpoint focus.
I do understand, could be the same for me if my thumb, index and middle finger haden't grown insensitive.
I underwent carpal tunnel surgery 2 days ago, let's wait for the result. I'm pretty optimistic. Unfortunately, I'll be missing orchid season this year. :cry:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I think the R5 II will have the R6 II AF system and probably more additional AF features. A faster sensor readout speed, maybe a few more MP, faster continuous FPS, better recording limits for video and most of the other features that are on modern RF bodies.

It might not be worth the upgrade for lots of existing R5 users but could be worth it for people with an older model.
I hope that the CFe write speed won’t be capped to 400MByte/s like the R5 does. The Nikon Z9 shows how beneficial a fast CFe card is when the buffer runs out.
And I hope for CFe 4.0 support, the sustained write speeds of the cards on the market is already above 2000MByte/s!

Flash support for e-shutter would be a big improvement as well, especially if the focus stacking module allows that as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I do understand, could be the same for me if my thumb, index and middle finger haden't grown insensitive.
I underwent carpal tunnel surgery 2 days ago, let's wait for the result. I'm pretty optimistic. Unfortunately, I'll be missing orchid season this year. :cry:
It will be ok! Happy recovery!

Upvote 0